Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Most don't want to work.

I offer $20 an hour for labor at times and still have a hard time finding reliable people.

The last dude that I offered a week of work to, after hearing him complain about being broke, was a no show day 1, never called and left me in a bind.

These 20 something year olds simply don't want to work.
But...but...but... I thought it was OBAMA'S fault the LFPR for young people was so low - that the economy was just crappy and that the UE rate was obviously faked because the LFPR was so low!!!!!! Now, after singing that same old tune for YEARS you wingnut types are suddenly deciding that it's just because young people are lazy and just don't WANT a job??????
You guys need to get your story straight.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 12:07 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
But...but...but... I thought it was OBAMA'S fault the LFPR for young people was so low - that the economy was just crappy and that the UE rate was obviously faked because the LFPR was so low!!!!!! Now, after singing that same old tune for YEARS you wingnut types are suddenly deciding that it's just because young people are lazy and just don't WANT a job??????
You guys need to get your story straight.

Ken
I'd like to know why those that are unwilling to work can't be forced to take the thousands of shovel ready jobs that Obama created.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'd like to know why those that are unwilling to work can't be forced to take the thousands of shovel ready jobs that Obama created.
Because slavery isn't legal anymore?

Old 11-15-2014, 12:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Lets face it tho many only want a job of their dreams and cannot otherwise keep a job. Just as I knew people when I was young who could just sit on a couch and smoke pot and be content. I am retired now for number of years and in would be very difficult I realize going back to living my life around work; rather than do the just work what I have to around my life. I don't have to manage a schedule near as much and longer you get away from it the harder it is to shift back. I think that is what happens to many of the long term unemployed and employers see it the same.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:58 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
When you get "free money" there is less incentive.

College Student Outsmarts Judge Judy - YouTube

Old 11-15-2014, 01:00 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
I had my first official job when I was 14 years old, but before that made money mowing lawns in the summertime. I agree that the youth of today have little work ethic, but even when I was young, kids were generally shiftless and lazy. The main problem is that many are no longer punished for their laziness. Why worry about not working if you suffer no serious repercussions for it? Many simply move back home with mom and dad.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Can they take those jobs if they don't have transportation? I have learned that temp agencies have no use for people without skills or cars.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Most don't want to work.

I offer $20 an hour for labor at times and still have a hard time finding reliable people.

The last dude that I offered a week of work to, after hearing him complain about being broke, was a no show day 1, never called and left me in a bind.

These 20 something year olds simply don't want to work.
What type of work is it that you do ? Sometimes the money offered whether it's good or not is not worth it in the long run. I'm currently an electrician's helper and I've known a few people already who quit that just didn't like the work or the fact that you got dirty. Even though my pay is not much i'm hoping to get a raise in the new year if not i'll just start looking for something better. On another note my last company payed better but around the time i quit the checks started coming late and when they did come they would bounce i later found out that the super of the site i was at actually payed the company more than they asked for this was the same time the owner went on "vacation" conveniently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Can they take those jobs if they don't have transportation? I have learned that temp agencies have no use for people without skills or cars.
Na here in ny most temp agenices will take you with no car or experience sometimes they just need a body and not a brain.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:37 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Many temp services will drive you to & from the job.
Others will pay the temp worker to drive others to the job with him on a peer person basis.
Many Temp positions for unskilled workers seeking to work.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Many temp services will drive you to & from the job.
Others will pay the temp worker to drive others to the job with him on a peer person basis.
Many Temp positions for unskilled workers seeking to work.

I have never heard of such a thing, although I can imagine that might happen in times, places and sectors of mobile labor shortages. I can see it happening for $50/hr skilled jobs that are hard to staff, but not for $8/hr labor jobs. And for those $8/hr labor jobs, if they have a surplus of workers, they're not going to drive an unskilled untested newbie to a jobsite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies