Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 03:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,820,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Or maybe the Democratic base just never turns out in midterms
The consequence of encouraging sloth and irresponsibility is your base finds voting every two years too much work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
I love how people who love to degrade America always compare us to Europe not knowing they are just giving us an Ego boost by comparing us to a continent....

5,472 posts, read 3,205,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Little Rock Nine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eisenhower did a lot on civil rights. More than bigots like FDR and Woodrow Wilson. Calvin Coolidge got citizenship rights for the Natives and fought the KKK. Woodrow Wilson implemented segregation and FDR was as bad. Lyndon Johnson was a bigot who passed civil rights for political reasons, to buy Black votes.

Second world nation is a former or current communist nation.

There's too much nonsense to even begin to address in your post but these two points are the most obvious.
He did what he had to do for Civil Rights, but his primary focus was on his project for the interstate system and social security... he did not take it on as a major issue, not in the midst of the projects he was currently facing. If you had an idea of the oppositions he had to deal with when it came to social security, and the massive challenges faced in building a freeway system, it would be easier for you to grasp the context of the points as stated. There were also very big issues with Cold War elements, both Soviet and Central American. His presidency has a vast array of things to contend. He also created many jobs with his freeway projects that benefit minorities well in the work they were able to attain. I think reading his bio and researching, he did a lot of works, which many historians are still to this day finding out he was a far greater president than credit was given previously.

Lyndon Johnson had been fighting KKK and racism in his ways long before, and he was determined to push and move Presidents Kennedy's Civil Rights Agenda forward. He and King had their difference about the Vietnam war, but that did not block the whole of the movement to push for passage of the Civil Rights Act. who cares if he got votes in the process, by right he should have gotten them for the push and passage of the Civil Rights Act

Good challenge, but "context matters" to grasp perspective.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 11-15-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 03:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,222,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The consequence of encouraging sloth and irresponsibility is your base finds voting every two years too much work.
I couldn't have said it better!

Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,820,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep.

I have yet to see a liberal comparing the US negatively with any country with a lower percentage of white boys.

I may retire in my wife's native land where the girls are prettier and the beer is a hell of a lot cheaper.
Blacks in Europe:

Police arrest 60 at Dutch 'Black Pete' festival

Old 11-15-2014, 03:09 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,222,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
He did what he had to do for Civil Rights, but his primary focus was on his project for the interstate system and social security... he did not take it on as a major issue, not in the midst of the projects he was currently facing. If you had an idea of the oppositions he had to deal with when it came to social security, and the massive challenges faced in building a freeway system, it would be easier for you to grasp the context of the points as stated.
Lyndon Johnson had been fighting KKK and racism in his ways long before, and he was determined to push and move Presidents Civil Rights Agenda forward. He and King had their difference about the Vietnam war, but that did not block the whole of the movement to push for passage of the Civil Rights Act.

Good challenge, but "context matters" to grasp perspective.
Lyndon Johnson was an old, Southern bigot. He advanced civil rights to cement the black vote for the Democrats.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:13 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,719,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Until you liberals do some honest critical thinking about why you got slaughtered in the midterms, you are going to be in the wilderness politically for a very long time. It's pretty clear that most of you haven't learned a thing.

Well, the demographics of the last election seem pretty anomalous to me, so I don't get the lesson. The Dems were going to lose, the only question was how bad. The decision to throw their big dog under the bus, was spectacularly dumb. You don't bench your star player and expect to win. I would say I learned that, but I knew the Dems were being stupid from the beginning.

This is an example of what a strong political speaker can do with the GOP behavior. They have not changed any of their tactics, and this is spot on the money, and damn funny too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5knEXDsrL4

Obama was smart enough to bring in the big dog, and it worked.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:16 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,205,180 times
American over all will do better, when we realize and understand that we have much room and great need for improvements. Those with the Post World War II Glaze of thinking we are what we were then, need to re-consider and realize, we have as much to learn from the world and maybe more, than we think they need to learn from us.

Heck we can't even get rid of racism and the wealth gap even after 500 yrs of such craziness.

We need to get down to reality, and stop with the delusion that we are above learning from others around the world.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:18 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
Quote:
American over all will do better, when we realize and understand that we have much room and great need for improvements. Those with the Post World War II Glaze of thinking we are what we were then, need to re-consider and realize, we have as much to learn from the world and maybe more, than we think they need to learn from us.

Heck we can't even get rid of racism and the wealth gap even after 500 yrs of such craziness.

We need to get down to reality, and stop with the delusion that we are above learning from others around the world.
You can't really get rid of those things, those are just facts of life.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:21 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,719,593 times
Quote:

Hear! Hear! We are not a great country, just because. We can learn a lot from Europe, and the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies