Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 02:53 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,258,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.
Didn't you mean to say "infested with ignorant Democrat yahoos?"

My second point, which you Democrat yahoo's don't seem to grasp, is that we are not a "democracy." We are a republic.

Third, it is the "Progressives" that have kept America "from reaching it's full potential" by stifling entrepreneurism through burdensome regulations and high taxes on corporate profits. We were doing much better prior to the Progressive era.

I've been to Belgium (Brussels) on business. I liked it, but even Brussels is not the same now as it was then. (Muslim influence, and all the related problems.) Muslim terrorism is on the rise in Belgium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've lived and worked in Europe and I hated it and I never ever want to go back. I'm glad the OP is happy there. My generalization is that Europeans are rude and arrogant and by the OP's comments, he probably fits in quite well. I'm currently working in Peru and love it a million times better than anywhere in Europe...I was offered $250K/yr to go back to Europe and passed....ya'll can keep it. Just make sure you keep making the Beemers I like , that's pretty much all I want from Europe...well maybe some of the French cheeses. I even find the Chilean wines to be superior to the overpriced French wines.
French wines are vastly overrated. I prefer California wine to any French wine.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:13 PM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
French wines are vastly overrated. I prefer California wine to any French wine.
I like California wines as well. I also like Spanish reds. I was never a fan of French wines.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:24 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,947,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Where I lived in the mid to late 1990s, the foodie culture really took off around 1995 or so. That was Seattle though, so it makes sense if it was a little ahead. That city has always had a taste for more quality food. Pretty much everywhere in America now though - even Kansas - you can get bread, beer, cheese and other items that rival Europe. Restaurants in US cities easily match those I've been to in Brussels too.
Yeah I could see 1995 I guess. I remember Starbucks got popular around then on the West Coast as well as imports/microbrews. It was definitely a bit harder to find good Indian food though let alone Thai and Korean food!

Old 11-16-2014, 03:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
PISA releases the USA scores with a racial breakdown and percent of free lunch breakdown to the public.

I can say this as I'm not up to date on all the info on the matter, but I do have a communicable relations with some of the school administration. I asked: why are many of the black schools failing, or being threatened with being taken over by the State. The (unofficial response I got, not naming names) response I got was; the biggest problem is POVERTY!!! during discussion of Poverty is shared the fact that ... I also photographed homes in some of these areas with under-performing schools, and deteriorated conditions and housing long before I got the answer that poverty was one of the biggest challenges in the schools disparity. The conditions of the housing and communities told me "poverty was a problem" just by looking.
It was not even reasonable on a layman term to envisage how a kids come home to these environment and have a mindset to study, not even was some of the places suitable to live in. HUD would have condemned many of these houses as unlivable. This is a condition that surrounds many of the schools (not all) but this conditions is dominant in the very inner city schools and the old communities that have a devastated economy and infrastructure. I was very very disenchanting to see these things. But it is more apparent the effects of poverty on low performing schools.
Poverty is the main issue, but another equally important issue is how involved the parents are.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I like California wines as well. I also like Spanish reds. I was never a fan of French wines.
Me either.

I recently came across a couple of coffee cans full of wine bottle corks that my wife and I had saved since the 70's for craft projects. Holy cow ... we drank a lot of good wine in those days!!! LOL

One of our favorites was Beaullieu Vineyards Georges De Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. It's probably beyond our budget now. We also used to like Weibel's Green Hungarian.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 11-16-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 03:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
You think this isn't happening in the US?
A Rising Share of Young Adults Live in Their Parents
See the post just before yours. It has been in Europe for some time. As the US has moved closer to the Euro model of big, centralized govt, high taxation, heavy regs, and welfare state, it is happening in the US too.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:39 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,807,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've lived and worked in Europe and I hated it and I never ever want to go back. I'm glad the OP is happy there. My generalization is that Europeans are rude and arrogant and by the OP's comments, he probably fits in quite well. I'm currently working in Peru and love it a million times better than anywhere in Europe...I was offered $250K/yr to go back to Europe and passed....ya'll can keep it. Just make sure you keep making the Beemers I like , that's pretty much all I want from Europe...well maybe some of the French cheeses. I even find the Chilean wines to be superior to the overpriced French wines.
Dude Lima is a **** hole.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:57 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
See the post just before yours. It has been in Europe for some time. As the US has moved closer to the Euro model of big, centralized govt, high taxation, heavy regs, and welfare state, it is happening in the US too.
To SOME americans, bolded perhaps sounds like heaven.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:01 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,389,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
To SOME americans, bolded perhaps sounds like heaven.
America didn't have prosperity under the "low regulation, small government" state. I'm baffled as to why so many people want to re-write history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies