Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:24 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He's still very popular with American conservatives. They loved the shirtless horseback photos. A real tuff guy, that Putin, just what Murika needs right now.
Only in your imagination.
"Thug" is not a term of endearment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 03:50 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Putin was born pouty. That should've been his name. Interesting.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:44 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Well at least he hugged a Koala Bear, or was he trying to strangle it?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Don't laugh. Pouty Putin has gone home to prepare for a blatant assault on the Ukraine. After this conference the facade of diplomacy is gone and there's no need for niceties, use of shadowy surrogates, or to feign innocence.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeah, Russia is coming out aces - look at how many rubles your dollar buys:

(Up is bad news for the ruble on this graph...)
Oh, that's rich...you think Putin cares about Russians.

Putins worth a couple billion less....but he's still holding the crimea.

Will this turn out to be his Kruschev moment? I doubt it...he takes care of the rich, military, oligarchs.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:03 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He's still very popular with American conservatives. They loved the shirtless horseback photos. A real tuff guy, that Putin, just what Murika needs right now.
You are confusing criticism of Obama because he came out looking all "blinky" in their early meetings.

Kennedy did too with Krushchev and then when Kruschev over-reached Kennedy stood tough and that was that.

Maybe Obama will do the same but the reality is that you are hiding behind politics in your assessment of how he's handled relations with Russia, I currently don't think he's done a great job.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:41 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are confusing criticism of Obama because he came out looking all "blinky" in their early meetings.

Kennedy did too with Krushchev and then when Kruschev over-reached Kennedy stood tough and that was that.

Maybe Obama will do the same but the reality is that you are hiding behind politics in your assessment of how he's handled relations with Russia, I currently don't think he's done a great job.
Krushchev took off his shoe at the UN and beat it on the table, so much for diplomacy. Putin also harkens for the good old days and is a not only corrupt but dangerous, wouldn't expect much more from ex-KGB. Very difficult to deal with either but at this point in time we have expended most of our good will and credibility with the world with our action over the last 15 years.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:41 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's so nice you Bots are willing to spend the next 20 years of your working life paying for military spending on Cold War II.

The Generals salute you.

Which welfare programs will be sacrificed for it?
I was there for Cold War I - Russia ain't no Warsaw Pact. They have struggled to bring their GDP on par with Italy's. They can try the old razzle-dazzle and put on the occasional show, but Putin's oligarch friends are noticeably poorer now, and I'm not sure they like it very much.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Only in your imagination.
"Thug" is not a term of endearment.
Does Pat Buchanan count as a conservative? Because if he was a teenager, he'd be parking his car where he could see Putin's window and dream wistfully with sad music on the stereo.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, that's rich...you think Putin cares about Russians.

Putins worth a couple billion less....but he's still holding the crimea.

Will this turn out to be his Kruschev moment? I doubt it...he takes care of the rich, military, oligarchs.
The rich and the oligarchs are now markedly less rich. Now, admittedly, I wouldn't want to speak up as the first if I were them, what with the risk of coming down with a sudden bout of polonium poisoning, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies