Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

I don't want this to degenerate into an "Obama is a Muslim" thread. However I'm curious as to why he and some members of the media would refer to him as Abdul. He didn't legally change his name, his Islamic captors called him Peter and he converted in captivity.

Even if you'd want to lend credence to his conversion I think you should refer to him with his given name.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/wo...execution.html
Quote:
Mr. Kassig “was taken from us in an act of pure evil by a terrorist group,” Mr. Obama said in a statement from aboard Air force One that was read to the news media in Washington.

In recent days, American intelligence agencies received strong indications that the Islamic State had killed Mr. Kassig. The president’s announcement was the first official confirmation of his death.

Abdul-Rahman Kassig with a truck filled with supplies for Syrian refugees in an undated photograph provided by the Kassig family.American Held by ISIS Says He Is ‘Pretty Scared to Die’OCT. 6, 2014
The father of Jejoen Bontinck, a young Belgian who spent three weeks in the same cell as James Foley and other hostages, showed a picture of the prison where they were held.ISIS Hostages Endured Torture and Dashed Hopes, Freed Cellmates SayOCT. 25, 2014
“Today we offer our prayers and condolences to the parents and family of Abdul-Rahman Kassig, also known to us as Peter,” Mr. Obama’s statement said. The president used the Muslim name Mr. Kassig had adopted, making the point that the Islamic State had killed one of its own. He acknowledged the “anguish at this painful time” felt by Mr. Kassig’s family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 01:54 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Maybe O's a Muslim.

lol.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:10 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,640 times
He converted to Muslim while in captivity which means he was forced or meet the sword at that point. He simply bought time.

Obama shouldn't even use that Muslim name at all.

By the way.....How many Americans are missing or held hostage?

Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
He converted to Muslim while in captivity which means he was forced or meet the sword at that point. He simply bought time.

Obama shouldn't even use that Muslim name at all.

By the way.....How many Americans are missing or held hostage?
They keep it under wraps because they don't want to compromise their captives' safety. However it's thought that there are dozens of Western captives and at least 2 American women.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Is this true that Obama really referred to this American hero by this Muslim name? That's pretty unreal. I wonder if his parents will put Abdullah on his tombstone?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:20 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
I read about this earlier on Reuters and BBC news, another terrible loss of life, another family who won't see their loved one again and going by earlier cases will be denied closure as the bodies are never returned.
And then because we can't be trusted to read the news mr. Obama confirms its all true ... well thank goodness !!!

I know, I know ... stupid me for having a brain ... gotta learn to be a bot and wait till the master speaks.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,791 times
Default Maybe Obama Never Heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

Or maybe it is not covered under Obama care>

Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Let's see;

"American Held by ISIS Says He Is ‘Pretty Scared to Die"

Are not infidels to convert, pay a tax, or die?
Well he was "pretty scared to die".

He was captive.

ENdured torture.

I don't see this as a bona fide conversion at all.

Quote:
Mr. Kassig “was taken from us in an act of pure evil by a terrorist group,” Mr. Obama said in a statement from aboard Air force One that was read to the news media in Washington.

In recent days, American intelligence agencies received strong indications that the Islamic State had killed Mr. Kassig. The president’s announcement was the first official confirmation of his death.

Abdul-Rahman Kassig with a truck filled with supplies for Syrian refugees in an undated photograph provided by the Kassig family.American Held by ISIS Says He Is ‘Pretty Scared to Die’OCT. 6, 2014
The father of Jejoen Bontinck, a young Belgian who spent three weeks in the same cell as James Foley and other hostages, showed a picture of the prison where they were held.ISIS Hostages Endured Torture and Dashed Hopes, Freed Cellmates SayOCT. 25, 2014
“Today we offer our prayers and condolences to the parents and family of Abdul-Rahman Kassig, also known to us as Peter,” Mr. Obama’s statement said. The president used the Muslim name Mr. Kassig had adopted, making the point that the Islamic State had killed one of its own. He acknowledged the “anguish at this painful time” felt by Mr. Kassig’s family

Old 11-16-2014, 04:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
He was probably following the lead of the Kassig family, although I don't know if they'll continue to refer to him as Abdul-Rahman now that he's gone.

https://www.facebook.com/MercyforAbd...?tab=page_info

Old 11-16-2014, 05:03 PM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
He was probably following the lead of the Kassig family, although I don't know if they'll continue to refer to him as Abdul-Rahman now that he's gone.

https://www.facebook.com/MercyforAbd...?tab=page_info
Good point. If that's how the family wanted to refer to him, it makes sense.

And OP, another possible answer was right in your first post:

Quote:
“Today we offer our prayers and condolences to the parents and family of Abdul-Rahman Kassig, also known to us as Peter,” Mr. Obama’s statement said. The president used the Muslim name Mr. Kassig had adopted, making the point that the Islamic State had killed one of its own. He acknowledged the “anguish at this painful time” felt by Mr. Kassig’s family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies