Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times

Advertisements

A number of inane comments on minimum wage, wage increases and indexing wages have been made of late. This is a typical example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You have a very tenuous grasp of the concept of cause and effect. we've got dozens of examples of minimum wage rising and no sudden problem. But then you pint to 2009 and claim its from the minimum wage increase. Ignoring the whole recession issue that was caused when housing collapsed.

Im quite familiar with supply and demand, and how you are attempting to correlate it to a far more complex topic without understanding that its not that straightforward as the increased pay at the low end causes more demand......
And now here we all are....

Quote:
Fed is looking at sharply rising labor costs

In the first three quarters of this year, hourly compensations in the U.S. nonfarm business sector rose at a rate of 3.1 percent, about three times the pace of advance observed in 2013. Over the same period, unit labor costs accelerated to an annual rate of 2.1 percent from 0.25 percent.

Under these circumstances, businesses will have little difficulty in passing their rising labor costs on to consumers to protect their profit margins.

The problem, as always, is to act in time to prevent rising inflation expectations...the Fed cannot stay put until signs of gathering price pressures can no longer be ignored. If it did that, the Fed would quickly find itself well behind the curve and unable to avoid the next round of the inflation-recession cycle.
[emphasis mine]

To those forum members knowledgeable in Economics who correctly predicted this would happen.....hats off to you.

You've been vindicated by real data.

And it didn't take long either.

It is my hope all of you continue to share the accurate knowledge of Economics that you have, in order to educate those who are uninformed and correct those who mislead others through misinformation or disinformation.

It's really important people have the best understanding possible, so that they do not make bad decisions that harm themselves or others financially or economically.

For every action in Economics, there is a reaction, and it doesn't always feel good or tickle.

For those of you who BOLO'd big time....you might want to try to learn something from those who know.

Vindicating...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 05:20 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Whenever labor costs go up, the cost of goods goes up.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I just do not understand how anyone would question that statement.

It is very true.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I just do not understand how anyone would question that statement.

It is very true.
Those who get poisoned by Krugman's version of economics will say that's a good thing.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:34 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
The more expensive the goods (labor) the less you will sell.
Progressives think they defy this basic rule.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A number of inane comments on minimum wage, wage increases and indexing wages have been made of late. This is a typical example:

And now here we all are....

[emphasis mine]

To those forum members knowledgeable in Economics who correctly predicted this would happen.....hats off to you.

You've been vindicated by real data.

And it didn't take long either.

It is my hope all of you continue to share the accurate knowledge of Economics that you have, in order to educate those who are uninformed and correct those who mislead others through misinformation or disinformation.

It's really important people have the best understanding possible, so that they do not make bad decisions that harm themselves or others financially or economically.

For every action in Economics, there is a reaction, and it doesn't always feel good or tickle.

For those of you who BOLO'd big time....you might want to try to learn something from those who know.

Vindicating...

Mircea
Oh look in the link:
Quote:
This sharply rising price of labor since the beginning of the year is caused by an increasing demand for labor services, as the jobless rate declined by nearly a full percentage point and the number of unemployed fell by 1.2 million.
Let me repeat what I said in the quote you provided:
You have a very tenuous grasp of the concept of cause and effect.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:59 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
...see above

Last edited by djmilf; 11-17-2014 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Point made by Greywar

Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:

The same holds true for when the costs of energy and supplies needed for business go up. A trucking company will pass the increased cost of fuel onto their customers who in turn pass it on to theirs.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh look in the link:

Let me repeat what I said in the quote you provided:
You have a very tenuous grasp of the concept of cause and effect.
Let me point out the "why" is absurd.

There is no labor shortage. Ergo, there is no pressure on wages.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Obama and the elitist know Gruber's won't understand that. Most Gruber's are poor and or struggling because they don't understand economic basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies