Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As opposed to lying while taking the opposing position being of a higher ethical imperative?
Let me repeat since it seems to have escaped you the first time: Politicians lie, but I am interested in the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:08 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let me repeat since it seems to have escaped you the first time: Politicians lie, but I am interested in the truth.
So look to the State Department reports. That's' what I did.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So look to the State Department reports. That's' what I did.
That is good starting point.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think Warren Buffett is behind all the opposition. Everything was moving along a few years ago and suddenly Nebraska wanted no part of the pipeline and it is still in the courts in that state. We all know where he lives. The opposition is focused on environmental impacts and they are really minimal with respect to other human activities. There is the notion that tar sand oil recovery itself is a very "unclean" activity, and that is true. But it will go on regardless of whether KXL is constructed. I could see the argument that is it likely to increase US fuel costs, particularly in the midwest. But that is not what is driving the opposition.

I have no idea what the deal with TransCanada is, but we ought to be adding a tariff for every bbl of oil that is exported beyond the US via KXL. The money would be earmarked for alternative energy projects. Ultimately, reducing our oil consumption while gaining an economic edge must be our long term goal.
And who would you expect to pay the tariff? Canada who is selling the oil to the folks who have a priority purchasing agreement with Canada?

OR American companies that are buying the oil at agreed-upon preferential pricing, refining it in American owned refineries, and who may be selling the stuff at a profit to foreign countries in refined form as diesel, bunker, or plastic?

AND further why would you leave out all of the oil imported by tankers from other countries such as communistic Venezuela that is purchased by America, refined by America, and sold by America overseas for a profit? I guess it's just the Keystone XL oil that should be thusly earmarked due to the sole reason it being from CANADA even though it's slated to also carry oil from your own Bakken fields to those gulf refineries?

I'd like to know just who you believe should be thusly punished with tariffs and just who should get a pass? Why, would also be nice.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
For those who might be wondering why the pipeline doesn't go through Canada to the west coast. Once the pipeline stalled it became plan B which "has become mired in domestic politics thick enough to rival the tarlike oil it hopes to sell".
“British Columbians are not happy with the idea that we’ll bear 100 percent of the risk without getting any of the benefits,”
At a meeting over the summer in Vancouver.
“Someone got up and asked some very pointed questions about moving this very dangerous commodity up our coast, the kid was going into grade six.”
Makes you wonder if the Canadian education system is superior when the party in favor of the pipeline in the USA claims everyone opposed to it is mentally deficient, to put it mildly.

But here is the most grievous position of all.

They have offered native groups a 10 percent stake in the pipeline for access across Native Lands.

Who in the he** negotiates these deals for the USA when we receive no such offer, and all of the pollution and all the risk. No matter how slight you might think that is, there is no stake being offered the USA which would be a major boost in supporting the passage of the pipeline. It would be a long term benefit that would render the permanent jobs question nearly meaningless in comparison.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/bu...line-woes.html

Last edited by phma; 11-19-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But when presented with it you still reserve the right to default to the lie position? That's even worse than not bothering to inform yourself with the truth...... er,..... isn't it?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
For those who might be wondering why the pipeline doesn't go through Canada to the west coast. Once the pipeline stalled it became plan B which "has become mired in domestic politics thick enough to rival the tarlike oil it hopes to sell".
“British Columbians are not happy with the idea that we’ll bear 100 percent of the risk without getting any of the benefits,”
At a meeting over the summer in Vancouver.
“Someone got up and asked some very pointed questions about moving this very dangerous commodity up our coast, the kid was going into grade six.”
Makes you wonder if the Canadian education system is superior when the party in favor of the pipeline in the USA claims everyone opposed to it is mentally deficient, to put it mildly.

But here is the most grievous position of all.

They have offered native groups a 10 percent stake in the pipeline for access across Native Lands.

Who in the he** negotiates these deals for the USA when we receive no such offer, and all of the pollution and all the risk. No matter how slight you might think that is, there is no stake being offered the USA which would be a major boost in supporting the passage of the pipeline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/bu...line-woes.html
Jeeesuz H. Christopher. You don't even bother to read. NAFTA treaties stipulate YOU get first rights to purchase at PREFERENTIAL pricing. YOUR companies are buying the crap! YOUR companies are refining it for resale to whomever and YOUR companies are profiting from that.

TransCanada and it's Keystone pipe is no more than a transportation company who gets paid just the same way tankers do. They don't own the freak'n oil and do not sell it. YOU are buying it and paying to ship it via a pipeline which is cheaper and safer than paying to ship it via Buffets railroad. Are you that disconnected you cannot see the OIL arrives in TEXAS at YOUR AMERICAN OWNED refineries regardless?

YOU want the stuff and are griping about Canada offering Canadian Indian bands a stipend to transit reservation lands?

Tell Valero et-al to stop buying the chit and there will be no demand for the pipe, although the folks in the Bakken who hoped to ship that oil via the same pipe might ***** a bit, as you'd then be forcing them to continue funding Buffet by paying higher rates.

The only part of the pipe as yet unbuilt and NEEDING approval is the part that actually crosses the border.

Morons are arguing over approval of the spare tire size thinking they're going to delay the delivery of the car to American dealers.

Last edited by BruSan; 11-19-2014 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: uncalled for nastiness

Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think Warren Buffett is behind all the opposition. Everything was moving along a few years ago and suddenly Nebraska wanted no part of the pipeline and it is still in the courts in that state. We all know where he lives. The opposition is focused on environmental impacts and they are really minimal with respect to other human activities.
I think that there is truth in the first part of that. Trains are far more dangerous, more prone to spillage, more subject to accidents with cars and trucks, kill orders of magnitude more wildlife (and people via accidents) than a static pipeline does. Never mind the fact that they are dramatically more polluting with those huge diesels. IMO, the "environmental" issues concerning the pipeline are fabricated BS to force use of rail. But heck, it puts money in the pocket of a major Obama donor, so all that's fine.

Now, when we talk about shipping rocks, rather than highly flammable and polluting liquids by road, all the above issues are still thrown out by the extremists concerning "coal trains".

Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But when presented with it you still reserve the right to default to the lie position?
What position would that be? Please tell me everything about my position about this issue.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
I'm glad they killed it. The whole idea of passing horrendously stupid legislation all for the sake of benefiting ONE senator who was going to lose anyway...that's just the worst kind of politics. It's high time these folks started acting out of principle instead of politics. I fully realize that isn't going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies