Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Maybe Reagan didn't, but Bush certainly did issue an executive order deferring some deportations, just search Executive Order 12711.
Technically they both did.

However, what a lot of Obama apologists are missing (by choice?) is that Bush Sr. for example was able to cite a specific law, Immigration and Nationality Act -1557, that gives him the specific discretion to issue such a specific executive order.

My guess, and I could be wrong, is that Obama doesn't have a specific law to cite for his planned action - as he has already established his belief that he does NOT have the legal ability to do what he wants without congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The Republicans should have pushed their lawsuit to determine the limits of executive orders.
Yes, the Republicans were stupid to assume that we would never be ruled by a man that clearly says something is illegal for him to do and then would go ahead and do it anyways.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
They make up about 10% of the electorate. They've never swung a presidental election.
Bingo. 10% in 2012. Note that it has gone up by about 1% every presidential cycle in recent times. From what I've read Hispanics tend to vote in lower numbers than other groups if only because they tend to be younger.

I don't think they would swing the election by themselves, but when combined with the black, Asian, and 'other,' that was 28% of the electorate in 2012. Combined they can and did swing the election in 2012. Romney won the white vote by 59%, but lost the non-white vote by 80%.
Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 AM

471 posts, read 807,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Maybe Reagan didn't, but Bush certainly did issue an executive order deferring some deportations, just search Executive Order 12711.

I'm personally strongly against this executive order that the President is about to issue, but it wouldn't be illegal and it's clearly within the President's discretionary power.
Reagan didn't go against congress and he didn't nullify a federal law. That's what Obama is doing and it is illegal.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You dont even know exactly what he is going to do, and are already calling for him to be convicted of treason? Really? Lets see what he actually does first shall we?
A lot of people have already read outlines of his proposal. Why havent you? Here goes one..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Apples and Oranges

Obama is NOT giving amnesty to illegals:

(from a CNN article)

While exact details of his announcement aren't yet public, the basic outline of the plan, as relayed by people familiar with its planning, includes deferring deportation for the parents of U.S. citizens, a move that would affect up to 3.5 million people.

"Everybody agrees that our immigration system is broken. Unfortunately, Washington has allowed the problem to fester for far too long," Obama said in a video posted on his Facebook page Wednesday. "And so what I'm going to be laying out is the things that I can do with my lawful authority as President to make the system work better, even as I continue to work with Congress to encourage them to get a bipartisan, comprehensive bill that can solve the entire problem."

Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
President Obama has the authority to grant reprieves and pardons under Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution; andCongress cannot limit the President's grant of an amnesty or pardon. United States v. Klein, 80 U.S. 128 (1871).

Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obama is about to take illegal Executive action to grant amnesty to illegals. He does not have the Constitutional authority to do this. No President can make his own law! The lawmaking body is the U.S. Congress. Period!

Democrats (and even some conservatives) have said, "Well, Reagan did it!" Reagan did not! Ronald Reagan was sent a piece of Legislation that was passed by both houses of Congress. He signed it. He was also promised "immigration reform" (never happened) and better border security (also never happened). But he did not act on his own as Obama is about to do.

This is illegal. Obama should be arrested tried, and convicted of treason, and impeached and removed from office if he goes ahead with this.

And the Democrats are fully behind him. Is it any wonder they lost the election?
About what illegal weapons sales to an enemy would deserve, eh?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Apples and Oranges

Obama is NOT giving amnesty to illegals:

(from a CNN article)

While exact details of his announcement aren't yet public, the basic outline of the plan, as relayed by people familiar with its planning, includes deferring deportation for the parents of U.S. citizens, a move that would affect up to 3.5 million people.

"Everybody agrees that our immigration system is broken. Unfortunately, Washington has allowed the problem to fester for far too long," Obama said in a video posted on his Facebook page Wednesday. "And so what I'm going to be laying out is the things that I can do with my lawful authority as President to make the system work better, even as I continue to work with Congress to encourage them to get a bipartisan, comprehensive bill that can solve the entire problem."
Seems to me it's a political strategy to force Congress to own iimmigration and take action, next year as opposed to kicking the can to beyond 2016 no different than the past 30 years.

How likely is it that anyone who intends to run for the GOP nomination in 2016 will take a strong stance against some form of amnesty?

The 30 years of inaction has resulted in " right now" whereby if the nominee does not get at least 40% of the Hispanic vote, they will lose.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Default Obama steals Reagan's ideas, pretends they are his own.

A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants : NPR
Obama steals all of this man's ideas. Frikking liberals. What else can they take from the Gipper.

We're going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that have allowed some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying 10 percent of his salary, and that's crazy. It's time we stopped it….
What we're trying to move against is institutionalized unfairness. We want to see that everyone pays their fair share, and no one gets a free ride. Our reasons? It's good for society when we all know that no one is manipulating the system to their advantage because they're rich and powerful. But it's also good for society when everyone pays something, that everyone makes a contribution.
-Ronald Reagan

Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
By the time "the Gipper" was POTUS,he was so adle brained he had no ideas..IF anyone is stealing something from the Reagan era,they are stealing his handlers ideas,not Reagan's.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
He stole the idea for "available health care for all" from Reagan, too. Has the man no SHAME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies