Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:09 PM

471 posts, read 805,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Now, the next President can reverse it, but there'd be hell to pay in the next midterm with the Hispanic vote.
No there wouldn't be. The "legal" hispanic population is only 16%. And obviously all 16% do not actually vote. And Obama is waking a sleeping giant. He's the best thing to happen to the GOP.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:10 PM

39,002 posts, read 50,981,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The Republicans should have pushed their lawsuit to determine the limits of executive orders.
The Republicans should have passed the Senate's bipartisan bill that garnered over 2/3 majority. A NBC poll out today shows that three-fourths of the public favors a law like the senate passed. Had the House done the responsible thing, this issue would be behind us now.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:11 PM

39,002 posts, read 50,981,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
No there wouldn't be. The "legal" hispanic population is only 16%. And obviously all 16% do not actually vote. And Obama is waking a sleeping giant. He's the best thing to happen to the GOP.
I think the GOP is about as "awake" as they are going to get.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,318,081 times
Quote:
But they vote at a higher rate then other ethnic groups. They helped win Obama the White House in 2012. You're also not taking into account that they make up a much higher percentage of the voting population in key states. Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Florida, etc.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 PM

771 posts, read 1,454,770 times
Maybe Reagan didn't, but Bush certainly did issue an executive order deferring some deportations, just search Executive Order 12711.

I'm personally strongly against this executive order that the President is about to issue, but it wouldn't be illegal and it's clearly within the President's discretionary power.

I don't believe this order will resolve anything in the long-term though, it's a very confrontational move that is 100% politically motivated. And even though its within the President's power, the timing is very insensitive to the message Americans sent to Washington during the midterm elections.

I tend to lean left (though I would like to say I'm at the center of the political spectrum), but I really don't want to see a haphazardly-put-together immigration reform enacted. I believe it would be wise for the President to give the new Congress an opportunity to take on immigration, that's what Americans want, that's why the Democrats lost the Senate. Honestly, this is the type of move that would likely lead me to vote Republican in the next election (because immigration is a very important topic for me). And not because of the contents of the executive order itself (which is a whole other topic), but because of the way this is being done, very poor form.

PS. I also hate the bipartisan immigration bill that the Senate passed and I'm glad it was shot down by the House.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:29 PM

471 posts, read 805,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But they vote at a higher rate then other ethnic groups. They helped win Obama the White House in 2012.
They make up about 10% of the electorate. They've never swung a presidental election.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:59 PM

56,963 posts, read 25,901,119 times
Reagan did sign a bill passed by congress, imaging congress actually taking action on important issues man those were the days. The bill he signed did grant permanent resident status to previous illegal immigrants.

It would be wise for him to wait until next year with the new congress, I don't expect any miracles but it would give them the opportunity.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,318,081 times
Quote:
They make up about 10% of the electorate. They've never swung a presidental election.
Like In Past Elections, Latino Voter Turnout Could Swing Results : NPR

Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,607,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The problem I see is improper enforcement of the violation of our sovereign borders.
Oh, I agree 100%.

However, that hasn't been done for 50 years.

Why, I just don't know.

I am all for state and federal E-Verify, also, but that got shot down.

Now, the problem is just too big. Too many illegals. Millions.

Some people think no one really cares because business needs and/or wants cheap labor.

It is now impossible to deport tens of millions of people. At least if they are given some sort of legality they can start paying taxes and contributing to the economy as a whole, instead of only to the businesses that hire them.

I don't know. I used to be a rabid anti-illegal person; in reality the problem is now too large to address any other way. No point in ranting and raving about illegals anymore.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,221,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The problem I see is improper enforcement of the violation of our sovereign borders.
You're right. The system is not "broken." Our laws are not being enforced. Our immigration system is just fine.

Obama is adding to the problem. He is "fixing" nothing, not even temporarily.

I have called my Congressman about this, and have told him that if it means "shutting down the government" to deal with this recalcitrant President, than do so, and that the only people who blame Republicans for the last "shut down" are Democrats. And right now, they don't count for much.

No one I know blames the Republicans for last years "shut down." We know the truth. Democrats do too, but they don't want to admit to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies