Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:02 AM

471 posts, read 807,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yes. Then, what did President Reagan do to prevent the deportation of illegal minors of those parents that were granted amnesty under said Act? After all, said illegal minors (and spouses) were not covered by that Act.

He had the commissioner of the Immigration and Nationalization Service issue an order that would protect said children from deportation. President Reagan did not want to break up families. President Bush (the elder) followed with his own actions in 1990. Congress then got around to passing a new law that made such protections permanent (hence said EO's were rendered invalid).

Again, we don't really 'know' what President Obama is going to order tonight. However, he will probably base his EO on the 1990 act, which I had linked to herein.
He did that because the law didn't address it and he had the approval of congress. He didn't flip off congress, ignore federal law amd make up his own.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Depends on the law.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
He did that because the law didn't address it and he had the approval of congress. He didn't flip off congress, ignore federal law amd make up his own.
Yes.

Memphis1979 please note and ponder.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
I can't wait for a conservative POTUS to make an executive order banning same sex marriage!

Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Blanket amnesty for five million illegal aliens is not the republicans idea. Idiotic statement.
It is not amnesty!!!!

Its "legal status" which is the Republican idea.

Damn, how many times do I have to say this.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I said nothing about amnesty, which is really not what my comments were about.- if the news reports today mirror what Mr Obama will say and do. Nor, did my comments have to do with a particular President, or particular war. Yes, I used quotes that referenced a couple of other Presidents, but they came from your link article and used to show ten of something does is not equivalent to ten of something else.

Frankly, I am surprised, given you are a moderator, at your response. I do understand you are not commenting as a mod. Nonetheless, your response is unbecoming for someone who is entrusted to be even handed.

Not knowing how many EOs this or any other President has issued, I became curious. Looked at wikipedia as a quick resource and was surprised, yet wondered. Just what are all of the EOs about, or doing. So, alluding only to numbers struck me as a quick and easy retort. Not a necessarily accurate response. Focus on the EO portion of my comments. The rest is my personal view of why I think this President's EOs are drawing so much fire. I could be wrong, or I could be right in that judgement.

You assume, way to much in my initial reply to you. Look again at my response, read the words. Do not interpret from your viewpoint. I think you will reach a different conclusion about what I said about EOs, also about how you responded.
I'd like to know exactly what you'd implying here.

I don't mod P&OC and even if I did, nothing I said in this thread has anything to do with being even handed.

People don't always agree on a given topic. Let me guess... you think that I'm a flaming liberal who would delete comments from conservatives.

That's amusing. I post a link to a list of all the executive orders in the history of the presidency (which isn't slanted toward any party), then I post a link that states that both parties have extended some sort of rights to illegal aliens and I'm being called out for not being even handed.

That's rich, man.

I'm registered unaffiliated. I don't wish to be associated entirely with any one political party because they all have things about them I don't like.

I hope that's the end of that.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It's illegal aliens, not undocumented. Invaded Iraq without permission? Oh really? Post your proof, Mr. Moderator.
That might sound halfway clever if I was a man.

Anyway... I think we all know that Bush didn't have permission to invade Iraq. If you want proof, Google it.

That's irrelevant, anyway... the point is that presidents do things (see my previous post about executive orders) all the time.

I hate hysteria. I may not like what President Obama suggests. Or I may be fine with it.

Just like I have been either okay or not okay with every other president's decision from either party ever since I was old enough to vote.

Honestly... why is it always about "picking sides" in here?

Politics is weird.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I can't wait for a conservative POTUS to make an executive order banning same sex marriage!
Which won't happen because it's a civil rights issue. Executive orders don't work that way.

Look over the executive orders of the more conservative presidents throughout history. You won't see any that take away established civil rights.

Because, thankfully, presidents know they're accountable to the public. Yanking away civil rights and/or modifying the constitution would be a huge presidential error and quickly would get checked by the other branches of government.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:53 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I think the Democrats will be as appalled by Obama's amnesty Executive Order as the Republicans.

"The president’s plan will convulse national politics. Obama is planning to use his immigration-enforcement power in a way never before seen in U.S. politics. It may technically be legal, but it rips up accepted norms of presidential conduct.

It’s farcical to describe what the president is considering as an act of “prosecutorial discretion.” For all practical purposes, it’s legal nullification on a mass scale: not an interpretation or enlargement of congressional purpose, but a flagrant defiance of congressional purpose. “Congress wouldn’t change the law the way I wanted, so I had to void the law” is not an excuse or justification.

Presidents are expected faithfully to execute even the laws they don’t like. The shock to the political system will be intensified because the president’s political opponents almost unanimously believe that his act of nullification is motivated by the crassest kind of political calculation, a belief amply supported by the words of fellow Democrats from Clinton on down."

The Atlantic,
"Five Reasons Obama Shouldn't Declare Amnesty", DAVID FRUM NOV 17 2014, 5:03 PM

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-20-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 11:54 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It is not amnesty!!!!

Its "legal status" which is the Republican idea.

Damn, how many times do I have to say this.
If you think the Democrat party is going to leave it at that I have a bridge to sell you. After this Executive Order, we will hear how unfair it is that these people have no right to vote, and how can we allow them to be uninsured. Before you know it they will be granted citizenship because after all, "Its only FAIR!!!" The duplicity is nauseating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies