Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Unless Obama decides once again to exempt union folk.
I have heard this, in fact a friend told me that anyone under a collective bargaining agreement (i.e. union contract) is exempt. I googled around to find out about this and came up empty. This is the one reference I've found to exemption from the Cadillac tax.

Labor Unions' Latest Problem: Obamacare's 'Cadillac Tax' Harms Their Gold-Plated Health Insurance Plans - Forbes

Quote:
Unions then carved out all sorts of exceptions to the tax. establishing a higher tax threshold for “law enforcement officers…employees in fire protection activities…individuals who provide out-of-hospital emergency medical care (including emergency medical technicians, paramedics, and first-responders), individuals whose primary work is longshore work…and indviduals engaged in the construction, mining, agriculture (not including food processing), forestry and fishing industries.”
So if this is accurate, cops, firefighters, EMTs, and a few other groups are exempt. But not most union or even most government workers are on the list. Teachers, most Teamsters, machinists, IBEW, etc. would not be on the exempt list.

Anyone know if this is accurate? The above article is from August 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 04:14 PM

27,139 posts, read 15,313,785 times
"What that means," Gruber says, "is the tax which starts by only taxing about the top 8 percent of health insurance plans essentially amounts over the next 20 years to basically getting rid of the exclusion for employer-provided health insurance" by making it financially impossible for employers to offer it."

Like a spreading cancer.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:28 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No democratic input?
Are you serious? You expect the left on this board to touch this thread? LOL.

It's a topic that they don't want to read about. Anything that challenges their preconceived notions about this administration is to be ignored, if it can't be destroyed or marginalized. This is far too big to be destroyed or marginalized, so they want nothing to do with it.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Are you serious? You expect the left on this board to touch this thread? LOL.

It's a topic that they don't want to read about. Anything that challenges their preconceived notions about this administration is to be ignored, if it can't be destroyed or marginalized. This is far too big to be destroyed or marginalized, so they want nothing to do with it.
The Bots will only talk about it when OFA issues a talking point email.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:36 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
On this issue I am on the left and I posted. I wanted the public option of Medicare.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM

This is the best and most detailed rundown of the Cadillac tax I have come across:

7 things to know about the

Per the article the 'high risk professions' are not exempt from the tax, they just have a slightly higher limit before it kicks in.

Ironically it appears this tax will hit public sector workers (other than cops, firefighters and EMT's) the hardest. That is, unless the tax is passed onto the normal taxpayer through other tax hikes (e.g. sales taxes, car taxes, etc).

I wonder what the NEA, AFSCME, etc are thinking right about now. This is going to screw them unless it is changed prior to 2018.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is the best and most detailed rundown of the Cadillac tax I have come across:

7 things to know about the

Per the article the 'high risk professions' are not exempt from the tax, they just have a slightly higher limit before it kicks in.

Ironically it appears this tax will hit public sector workers (other than cops, firefighters and EMT's) the hardest. That is, unless the tax is passed onto the normal taxpayer through other tax hikes (e.g. sales taxes, car taxes, etc).

I wonder what the NEA, AFSCME, etc are thinking right about now. This is going to screw them unless it is changed prior to 2018.
Of course the tax is going to be passed onto the taxpayer through other higher taxes, and those higher other taxes arent calculated in the CBO $1.3 trillion dollar price tag for the bill. Its yet another way to hide the true cost by passing the buck onto the states over time.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course the tax is going to be passed onto the taxpayer through other higher taxes, and those higher other taxes arent calculated in the CBO $1.3 trillion dollar price tag for the bill. Its yet another way to hide the true cost by passing the buck onto the states over time.
I'm sure this will happen to some extent. My guess would be that there will be some cutbacks in public sector plans too, especially in red states. A state like CA, where the public sector unions rule, would probably get tax hikes to cover the costs.

Good point about the cost shifting, too. And given the regressive nature of many state and local taxes (sales taxes, gas taxes, cig taxes all very regressive), this would be yet another instance of "liberals" taking from the poor to benefit the public sector class, most of whom are comfortable if not rich.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
This is what happens when you have a tax code that allows the government to pick winners and losers.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:06 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
There is no defending this. The math and path to a 'universal' tax is to clear. Like a slow spreading, non problem causing cancer; until it is too late. A shell game at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies