Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

From what I am reading, Obama not grant citizenship, the right to stay here permanently to illegals, only a 3 year reprieve from deportation.

He said, “If you’ve been in America more than five years. If you have children who are American citizens or illegal residents. If you register, pass a criminal background check and you’re willing to pay your fair share of taxes, you’ll be able to apply to stay in this country temporarily without fear of deportation.”

But how exactly does an illegal immigrant benefit from coming forward now without permanently changing his legal status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 05:20 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
From what I am reading, Obama not grant citizenship, the right to stay here permanently to illegals, only a 3 year reprieve.

He said, “If you’ve been in America more than five years. If you have children who are American citizens or illegal residents. If you register, pass a criminal background check and you’re willing to pay your fair share of taxes, you’ll be able to apply to stay in this country temporarily without fear of deportation.”

But how exactly does an undocumented immigrant benefit from coming forward now without permanently changing his legal status?
This is just a temporary measure as Obama has said that any immigration reform bill passed by Congress must contain a path to citizenship.

Most of the 11-12 million illegals that work and live in the U.S. have no fear of deportation as there are not enough ICE workers to round them up. So why would they start paying taxes when it will reduce the amount of money they can send home ? And even if they were unlucky enough to get deported, they will slip through the border and re-enter at their leisure.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:20 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
From what I am reading, Obama not grant citizenship, the right to stay here permanently to illegals, only a 3 year reprieve.

But how exactly does an undocumented immigrant benefit from coming forward now without permanently changing his legal status?
It was practically a copy of what Reagan and Bush Sr did back in their days.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:30 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Since this action only pertains to those in this country before 2010, will we see deportation of the thousands of kids who arrived here over summer? The pro immigration folks paraded these kids in front of any camera they could find to garner sympathy. Will we really see them deported?
Maybe state law enforcement can start rounding them to present to ICE, following the letter of Obama's executive order. A local school district has really been crushed by this wave of kids. Maybe following Obama's edict could mean some relief to the overcrowding.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
From what I am reading, Obama not grant citizenship, the right to stay here permanently to illegals, only a 3 year reprieve from deportation.

But how exactly does an illegal immigrant benefit from coming forward now without permanently changing his legal status?
He gave the last batch 2 years and just extended it another 2 years.
Do you honestly think any of them allowed to stay will be told "Sorry, time is up, go home" in the future ?
They got de facto amnesty.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was practically a copy of what Reagan and Bush Sr did back in their days.
Which did nothing to solve the problem, and probably encouraged more illegal immigration.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He gave the last batch 2 years and just extended it another 2 years.
Do you honestly think any of them allowed to stay will be told "Sorry, time is up, go home" in the future ?
They got de facto amnesty.
It actually depends on his successor, does it not? The next President can reverse the Order or enforce deportation after the reprieve. I would not hold my breath though because regardless of which party is in power and despite all the huffing and puffing by the Republicans, neither party will take any action and will let Pres. Obama's action stand all for political reasons obviously.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Which did nothing to solve the problem, and probably encouraged more illegal immigration.
Maybe true, which is why they need to get their act together and pass a bill which will address the border situation.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
This government doesn't want to solve the problem, all he did was appease....if it were up to me, I'd send them all back and start all over again revising the immigration system along with all our other systems that are failing.

Look, we cannot have it 100% our way, and this to me, is clearly from Obama to appease....however, at least it's a start? Why don't the republicans now sit down and go to work, what bothers me, is why, in the world would anyone in their right mind, allow this system to break down like this. You go to any restaurant, and you will find illegals working in the kitchens getting paid under the table....I saw it with my own eyes, and this was going on years ago....wake up people...this problem didn't just happen with Obama! It's been an exsisting problem that no one has fixed....why?

maybe if we start to answer those questions, we can move forward, but it is time for this worthless good for nothing Washington to go to work for us....and stop fighting among each other like this....this is insane and just making the problem worse.

I was angry last night ans wasn't even going to watch, and we all know he is doing this NOW, to gain democratic votes! If he had wanted to seriously do something about this, it would have happened in his first term. Bush did nothing about this, why? Especially after 911, Clinton did nothing about this, Why?
And all the Presidents before him, did nothing about his, Why?

So, now at least he's offered a start...why not work off of this.

I'm sick to death of Ted Cruz standing up there and constantly saying things about Obama....Cruz, if you care, sit down, shut up and get to work for the people, and the same to all of Washington! Act like adults and get some work done and stop appeasing for votes....all of you both dems and republicans....your an embarrassement to the republic!!!!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe true, which is why they need to get their act together and pass a bill which will address the border situation.
Agreed, but there is no demand for it by either party. Dems want votes, Repubs want cheap labor. Hate to say it, but only people who actually tried to do something to control the border where the militia groups. Of course we would prefer the govt do something meaningful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies