Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:04 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Many people working as cashiers have degrees.
Not many from Harvard though. Although I have known a few kookie types that loafed around doing things like ski patrol and bartending after graduating but it was a choice thing for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
While I think private schools can admit the student body they want to represent whatever they are going for, public schools are the one who need to deal with the gap in test scores from their incoming freshmen. These are the schools we pay for whether we use them or not.

Remedial classes should only be available at Community Colleges with the goal of getting people up to speed on whatever they lack from their k-12 education and prepare them for doing university level work. There are minimum standards and they can't be tossed out, MINIMUM anything is not the goal of a college education. Additionally, CC's can be the end goal for many who are looking for certifications, job skills, to knock out lower level transfer requirements, or a 2 year degree in whatever subject appeals to them.

There is nothing more schools can do for anyone, if that's not enough then the problem is something else entirely.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
You're missing the point. I was making a comparison as to the legal aspect of it as you asserted that just because Harvard is a private school, it can admit whomever it wants.
They can.

Next year they can say that no one with an SAT score over 1000 will be accepted. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just to note. If these kids want the highest chance of success, MIT graduates outpace everyone else. Of course, getting into MIT is no picnic either.
My nephew is in his first year at MIT...you're right. Extremely rigorous admissions process.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:13 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...let's all have a big ass fight about who can and can't get into a 50k a year private school. LMAO
Basically.

That's what I was saying, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yea, affirmative action... the most important thing going on in this country.

/sideye

Get over it. If you don't get into Harvard you probably got into Duke anyway. Put these things in context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you couldn't answer the question, could you?

imagine my stunned face
It's a loaded question with no relevance. You didn't respond to my rebuttal.

"imagine my stunned face"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
You can achieve diversity of thought and opinion without using racial preferences in the admissions process. The color of the skin is not indicative of a particular perspective, and assuming that is morally and ethically wrong.

I support this lawsuit completely. Race and ethnicity should not be a factor, and the same standards should apply to every applicant.

I am glad these discriminatory practices are being challenged in court, and I look forward to the day when racial preferences are no longer part of the admissions process.
In a pipe dream sure.

Let's not pretend like America's elite is more than what it is; a country club for rich white men to think of ways to screw everyone else in the world.

Quote:
Are you trying to play dumb?
Care to answer the quesiton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You think Black Female scores are higher than Black males ?
They need to break down these scores by Female & Male.
Of course they are.

Gender is the first question asked in the questions....

Old 11-21-2014, 11:16 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Wrong!

What's your saying is equivalent to saying "Restaurant X is a privately owned business, it can allow to hire anyone it wants and allow whomever it wants to walk into its business as a customer."
Or how about the private Wedding people who don't do Gay Weddings, Flowers and cakes and get sued?

Libs love to pick and choose.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:19 AM

595 posts, read 368,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Loaded question
Asking a question with a presumption built into it so that it can't be answered without appearing guilty

Why are you assuming Asians are being disadvantaged?

How are certain groups getting an unfair advantage?

You are missing the concept of affirmative action. If a school has a higher admission percentage rate for blacks than whites, it means there is a smaller pool of potential candidates that are black. That in no way is giving an advantage to blacks.
Through policies favoring members of a certain group, or race solely because they are in that group or race. Fill out a college application and the college will more than likely ask for your race. My argument is that a person's race, ethnicity, or gender should not matter, it should not count for or against them. What affirmative action does is keep race in the equation and colleges in multiple circumstances have been caught using it to favor certain groups. That is an unfair advantage to favor certain groups because they are in that group. If a university has a higher admission rate for Blacks versus Hispanics, Whites, or Asians, because the Black applicants are more qualified, fine.

Yes, I know affirmative actions intentions were to try to equalize people in the face of desegregation done using executive orders. While the intentions may have been good, the results meant discriminating on race would still be continued, and court cases, such as Bakke vs Regents of the University of California (1978) and Grutter vs Bollinger (2003) which stated that race could be used as an admission factor, and has been used by a plethora of universities as such. Using race, ethnicity, or gender to someones advantage is unfair, and it is still being done, which is why Harvard and UNC are being sued now. Here is a recent article from Harvard talking about how Harvard is still, even after Fisher vs University of Texas at Austin (2013) using race as a factor in admissions.

Affirmative action policies remain | Harvard Gazette

Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Actually, because Harvard accepts Federal student loans, they can't claim total exemption as a private college. So, there is some question there if they would have to fall under Federal case law as a result.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/types-aid

Old 11-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Or how about the private Wedding people who don't do Gay Weddings, Flowers and cakes and get sued?

Libs love to pick and choose.
We all pick and choose and no man is above hypocrisy. That includes you.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio1803 View Post
Through policies favoring members of a certain group, or race solely because they are in that group or race. Fill out a college application and the college will more than likely ask for your race. My argument is that a person's race, ethnicity, or gender should not matter, it should not count for or against them. What affirmative action does is keep race in the equation and colleges in multiple circumstances have been caught using it to favor certain groups. That is an unfair advantage to favor certain groups because they are in that group. If a university has a higher admission rate for Blacks versus Hispanics, Whites, or Asians, because the Black applicants are more qualified, fine.
Okay, let me ask you a simple question.

If we remove race from the application and the name on the resume is Juan Mendez, Dontrell Jones, or Ming Yao, do you think that will matter?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies