Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:52 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Okay, let me ask you a simple question.

If we remove race from the application and the name on the resume is Juan Mendez, Dontrell Jones, or Ming Yao, do you think that will matter?

Wouldn't it be interesting if they did identity blind admissions decisions like they do need blind ones? Wonder how that would shake out. When I applied to college, I chose other for race. Bugged me because it didn't have my race on there and why should I choose one half of me over the other. Obviously, didn't hurt me because I got into every school I applied to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Wouldn't it be interesting if they did identity blind admissions decisions like they do need blind ones? Wonder how that would shake out. When I applied to college, I chose other for race. Bugged me because it didn't have my race on there and why should I choose one half of me over the other. Obviously, didn't hurt me because I got into every school I applied to.
Why did you do that?

Your race was certainly on there. There are only 3-4 races (depending on your interpretation of critical race theory).

Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Why did you do that?

Your race was certainly on there. There are only 3-4 races (depending on your interpretation of critical race theory).
I'm half black and half white. So which one should I have chosen? Mixed race was not an option. I chose other because I didn't think it was right to choose between one of the other of who I am. There's quite a few mixed race that feel the same as I on this issue.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm half black and half white. So which one should I have chosen? Mixed race was not an option. I chose other because I didn't think it was right to choose between one of the other of who I am. There's quite a few mixed race that feel the same as I on this issue.
You're like Obama.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM

595 posts, read 368,522 times
Quote:

If we remove race from the application and the name on the resume is Juan Mendez, Dontrell Jones, or Ming Yao, do you think that will matter?

To me no, I would want to read to resumes of each candidate. For others maybe, can not speak for all. It can also depend on the job and field, because somebody hiring a fast food worker could care less other than will they show up on time and do the job. From my experience Dontrell could be white from the well to do suburbs and have a PhD, Ming is a poor high school drop out, and Juan is a CEO of a well known tech company.

People are judgmental by nature, and would more than likely immediately have some pre-conceived notion of what each person looked like, whether that will matter to them is something else. If someone tries to discriminate based on race with hiring, or law that is illegal, even without affirmative action. In my opinion the more race is removed from being a factor the better for everyone. No one should have their race, ethnicity, or gender go for them or against them.

Last edited by Ohio1803; 11-21-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:

Good point.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
White women benefit the most from AA but for some reason it's still seen as a "black" thing.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
White women benefit the most from AA but for some reason it's still seen as a "black" thing.
Affirmative Action was a white thing before it was a black thing...they just didn't call it that.

It was called "Whites Only."

Old 11-21-2014, 12:41 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,633 times
AAMC is open about the use of race as a criteria in the admissions process to American medical schools.

Below are medical school admissions statistics broken down by race. What you are seeing is the proportion of accepted applicants and their academic competitiveness. I saw these posted and discussed on an athletic message board thread discussing the Harvard lawsuit, and how this practice isn't limited to undergrad admissions.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514...stable25-2.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/download/321516...stable25-3.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/download/321518...stable25-4.pdf

Any black student with a 3.5 and a 29 MCAT score has an 80% chance of being accepted into a medical school, compared with a 22% chance for Asians and a 32% chance for white applicants. These aren't small differences. There is clearly a significantly lower bar for black applicants than for Asian applicants and White applicants.

There's a huge difference between diversity of opinion and diversity of skin color.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:55 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
AAMC is open about the use of race as a criteria in the admissions process to American medical schools.

Below are medical school admissions statistics broken down by race. What you are seeing is the proportion of accepted applicants and their academic competitiveness. I saw these posted and discussed on an athletic message board thread discussing the Harvard lawsuit, and how this practice isn't limited to undergrad admissions.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514...stable25-2.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/download/321516...stable25-3.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/download/321518...stable25-4.pdf

Any black student with a 3.5 and a 29 MCAT score has an 80% chance of being accepted into a medical school, compared with a 22% chance for Asians and a 32% chance for white applicants. These aren't small differences. There is clearly a significantly lower bar for black applicants than for Asian applicants and White applicants.

There's a huge difference between diversity of opinion and diversity of skin color.
That's why many people having risky operations, they prefer Dr. Hong Wong over Dr. Tyrone Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies