Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 05:07 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well the President has Veto power if he disagrees.

Congress can also overturn an Executive Order by passing legislation addressing it.
He ONLY has veto powers after a bill is passed.

Once it has been signed by a President, it BECOMES the law, which he took an oath to defend "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 05:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
I don't think personally think he should do it. It is too controversial. But I am pretty anti-illegal as a rule.

But hey, he is the President, leader of the Executive Branch. The congress has proven they want to hamstring the guy and make his Presidency ineffectual. Then they can laugh and call the guy a loser. They have made that very clear. So, he must do what he can when he can to lead.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:29 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
He denies it and then goes on to say that he 'must' act because Congress hasn't. Basically a non-answer.
How can he deny his own recorded and documented words? He promised he wouldn't "act" in a way that would include EO in regards to illegal immigration. If I were a GOP congressmen I would shove those words down his throat and make sure that every American were made aware of what a liar he is.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:39 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't think personally think he should do it. It is too controversial. But I am pretty anti-illegal as a rule.

But hey, he is the President, leader of the Executive Branch. The congress has proven they want to hamstring the guy and make his Presidency ineffectual. Then they can laugh and call the guy a loser. They have made that very clear. So, he must do what he can when he can to lead.
If that's your attitude, you'd better pray there is NEVER another Republican President. Because this executive amnesty will be used as precedent to do by fiat what the next Republican President can't get through Congress.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How can he deny his own recorded and documented words? He promised he wouldn't "act" in a way that would include EO in regards to illegal immigration. If I were a GOP congressmen I would shove those words down his throat and make sure that every American were made aware of what a liar he is.
So true! I've seen several video clips of him talking about how he wouldn't do this very thing. How procedures were put in place to prevent it from happening and he wouldn't go against it.

I don't see how anyone believes him at this point...

Old 11-14-2014, 06:19 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Maybe, just maybe they can come up with a bipartisan solution"

It never fails. For 6 years ther dems NEVER "worked for a bipartisan solution", Now that they have lost BIG TIME of course they want to "come up with a bipartisan solution"

Whoda' thunk?
The senate passed a bi-partisan immigration bill, I believe 63-47 it never reached the floor for a vote in the house. They found time to vote down Obama care 54 times but they couldn't allow a vote on the senate bill. Boehner indicated immigration reform was dead last June, now he is indicating that we need to wait until nest year. Threats to impeach a president for executive action shows they have no interest in solutions, just more of the same.

No reasonable reform will get through the house, whatever Obama does can be rescinded in 2017 if the next president chooses to do so. No action has been taken in almost 15 years and this is minor, we need real reform.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The senate passed a bi-partisan immigration bill, I believe 63-47 it never reached the floor for a vote in the house. They found time to vote down Obama care 54 times but they couldn't allow a vote on the senate bill. Boehner indicated immigration reform was dead last June, now he is indicating that we need to wait until nest year. Threats to impeach a president for executive action shows they have no interest in solutions, just more of the same.

No reasonable reform will get through the house, whatever Obama does can be rescinded in 2017 if the next president chooses to do so. No action has been taken in almost 15 years and this is minor, we need real reform.
The House is coequal with the Senate. If your "reasonable" bill could not pass the House the options are to 1) pass a bill the House can accept or 2) win the House. Your side totally failed at both, proving that your side is not in line with the wishes of the American people.

All of this overlooks the FACT that the extreme left could have passed any immigration bill it wanted after the 2008 election. So, it's really the Democrats and Obama who are the do-nothing obstructionists. That doesn't stop them and their shills of claiming the Republicans are exactly what they are.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The House is coequal with the Senate. If your "reasonable" bill could not pass the House the options are to 1) pass a bill the House can accept or 2) win the House. Your side totally failed at both, proving that your side is not in line with the wishes of the American people.

All of this overlooks the FACT that the extreme left could have passed any immigration bill it wanted after the 2008 election. So, it's really the Democrats and Obama who are the do-nothing obstructionists. That doesn't stop them and their shills of claiming the Republicans are exactly what they are.
You're ignoring the simple fact that the house could have just voted on the bi-partisan senate version.
Enough with the my side is better than yours, answer the question why the house never allowed a vote, maybe the well was already poisoned.

Pass a bill that the house can accept, in my dreams.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You're ignoring the simple fact that the house could have just voted on the bi-partisan senate version.
Enough with the my side is better than yours, answer the question why the house never allowed a vote, maybe the well was already poisoned.

Pass a bill that the house can accept, in my dreams.
And you think that's good enough reason for the President to act unilaterally? Just ignore the construct of our government?

Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And you think that's good enough reason for the President to act unilaterally? Just ignore the construct of our government?
I think it has been a dereliction of duty of congress to enact the legislation going back to Bush, we have already seen this movie. Boehner seems to be suddenly optimistic, that is misguided.

Other presidents used executive action for amnesty although not to this extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies