Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:06 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,378,969 times

Advertisements

Selfish parents who just will not put their children first and telling them to ***** off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,431,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Stop playing with your phone when you drive that might help for starters. IF you have kids make them play outside & DON'T give them a cellphone.
Why? motor vehicle death rate is pretty low....

70s and 80s had double the motor vehicle death rate even though they didn't have cell phones to distract them like today...

Old 11-24-2014, 08:50 PM

46,865 posts, read 25,830,287 times
What the h.ll sort of parents are you guys hanging with?

I honestly can't think of a kid in my social sphere that I wouldn't be proud to call mine. My nephews and nieces are leaving their teens and are already laying foundations for successful lives. A neighbor couple I know raising kids is doing an awesome job - when a girl shows off a colossal minecraft city she made on a long flight, well - better than having her read some tween magazine, right? We can easily agree that their time has become ridiculously structured - sports, dance, etc., all of it very carefully planned - but I see them and I can't help thinking they'll be OK.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:57 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,080,009 times
Quote:
This kind of goes along the line of the U.S losing it's morals.

I'll try & keep this short.

We all know that our school system is going downhill fast these days & it has been for a while now.
For me I can't blame the school system totally, I'm seeing a woman with two children & they live with their dad. He's the type of parent to let them play video games all day & buy them an I-phone. So far other then doing the laundry & doing dishes they haven't learned much of anything to prepare them for real life. The things they watch on TV these days & not to mention the role models they have isn't helping.
I'm in my 40"s & I'm sure my parents thought the same thing about my generation. I'm just using my GF's kids as an example. She feels the same way I do about how kids are raised these days. I don't see kids playing outside so much anymore & those that do tend to lose interest once the become teenagers. Facebook has become their best friend. I once had a conversation with someone who truly believes that our government wants us dead more so the poor of the nation. While I disagree with this I have to admit that they are being dumbed down From what the schools are NOT teaching them from parents who see to pacify them with electronics, (smartphones, Video games, & TV. This might be an age thing I remember parents having type of reactions such things as well.

Am I crazy or just old?
Surly I am not alone in this.
That's just the negatives. This generation (which is technically mine I guess) has plenty of duds, but there are some incredibly thoughtful and creative people out there. I've known many people personally whom I know will aspire to do amazing things.

I had a teacher who described my generations as 'the second hippie generation.' Aside from the duds, many of us are anti-corporate and skeptical of how things are. Yeah, mistakes are made. That's to be expected. Young people make mistakes. This isn't exclusive to any one generation.

Point is, don't assume the worst. Yeah, some of my people are worthless and contribute nothing and have no aspiration to do so. But some of us are going to change the word.

I do agree with the bit about schools. The school system is a joke, but that's partially due to overprotective parents who want to micromanage their child's life. The term 'play date' comes to mind. I believe George Carlin has an excellent bit regarding this; how kids never go to the backyard and play with a stick for 5 hours.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
This kind of goes along the line of the U.S losing it's morals.

I'll try & keep this short.

We all know that our school system is going downhill fast these days & it has been for a while now.
For me I can't blame the school system totally, I'm seeing a woman with two children & they live with their dad. He's the type of parent to let them play video games all day & buy them an I-phone. So far other then doing the laundry & doing dishes they haven't learned much of anything to prepare them for real life. The things they watch on TV these days & not to mention the role models they have isn't helping.
I'm in my 40"s & I'm sure my parents thought the same thing about my generation. I'm just using my GF's kids as an example. She feels the same way I do about how kids are raised these days. I don't see kids playing outside so much anymore & those that do tend to lose interest once the become teenagers. Facebook has become their best friend. I once had a conversation with someone who truly believes that our government wants us dead more so the poor of the nation. While I disagree with this I have to admit that they are being dumbed down From what the schools are NOT teaching them from parents who see to pacify them with electronics, (smartphones, Video games, & TV. This might be an age thing I remember parents having type of reactions such things as well.

Am I crazy or just old?
Surly I am not alone in this.
I don't think we are losing our morals. I just think technology is taking over every aspect of our lives. And it will continue to do you as it advances. Kids played outside because there was nothing to do inside. That isn't the case anymore. I have to say though, I'm pretty impressed how many of these young kids are so tech savvy. That is our future.
But what are the schools not teaching them?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The left is pandering to people, voter ID is an example. When politicians and people claim it's too hard to get something that is basic to society, a voter ID, how in the world are they going to be able to function if that's too hard. Keep pandering to people who makes claims like this and as they go through life they will struggle.
Portage County veteran, 86, doesn't vote after VA identification card rejected at polls | cleveland.com Yeah, this guy has probably seen some struggles.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:33 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,645,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't think we are losing our morals. I just think technology is taking over every aspect of our lives. And it will continue to do you as it advances. Kids played outside because there was nothing to do inside. That isn't the case anymore. I have to say though, I'm pretty impressed how many of these young kids are so tech savvy. That is our future.
But what are the schools not teaching them?
Losing morals? Maybe they didn't have them to begin with. Now businesses looted and are set on fire, police cars set on fire, throwing fake blood in NY.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:35 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,645,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nice try, my mil, 84 years old was able to vote. But we all know we are talking about able bodied young who can find the liquor store, the bar, a fix when they want but think it's too hard to do what everyone can do.

Don't you people ever get tired of claiming helplessness.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,333,886 times
I don't think our school systems are going downhill. I think students are going downhill as demographics shift. Those demographics have always been terrible at education and discipline.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Nice try, my mil, 84 years old was able to vote.
Good on her.

Quote:
But we all know we are talking about able bodied young who can find the liquor store, the bar, a fix when they want but think it's too hard to do what everyone can do.
And if a WWII vet who gave more for this country than you'll ever do is barred from essential right to vote, that's just a price you're willing to pay. We get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies