Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Michael Eric Dyson owned Giuliani in that debate. As long as conservatives like this guy uses false equivalencies in discussions, they won't have a leg to stand on...

You must have seen something that was not on the video, because I did not see Dyson own anyone. It was the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Michael Eric Dyson owned Giuliani in that debate. As long as conservatives like this guy uses false equivalencies in discussions, they won't have a leg to stand on...
Giuliani a conservative? lol What a joke.
White Supremacist? How about a 1 percenter.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:08 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Are poor black people in the sticks killing each other at the same rate as poor black people in the urban hoods? A better comparison would be poor white people in urban communities. Poor and urban tend to be the high crime areas.
Poor, urban white people are NOT killing each other at the same rate as poor urban black people, at least not when you count Hispanics as its own subgroup and whites as its own subgroup.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Are poor black people in the sticks killing each other at the same rate as poor black people in the urban hoods? A better comparison would be poor white people in urban communities. Poor and urban tend to be the high crime areas.
One important contrast to make is between Mississippi and Nebraska. Mississippi is 37% Black, and has one of the lowest Black murder rates in the nation. Much of Mississippi's Black population is rural-dwelling or in small towns.

Nebraska,on the other hand, is around 4% Black. However, it ranks #1 in the nation for Black murder rates, despite having one of the lowest murder rates in the USA at large. Most of Nebraska's Black population lives in Omaha. BTW, Blacks make up around 12% of Omaha's population. A murder rate of 46 murders per 100,000 was recorded for Blacks in Omaha vs 31 murders per 100,000 for Blacks in Chicago.

Blacks in both Nebraska and Mississippi have high levels of poverty. However, Nebraska has almost no rural Black population to speak of, while much of Mississippi's Black population is rural. Makes a big difference. Same goes for Wisconsin. 7 out of 10 Blacks in Wisconsin live in Milwaukee, and Milwaukee has one of the poorest Black populations in the USA. So does Omaha and Detroit.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Then the same people who are b----ing about the cops should shut their mouths then, don't you think?

Same deal.
What does this have to do with what I said? Why not just talk about the subject matter at hand?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
"White Police Officers Won't Be There If You Weren't Killing Each Other 70% Of The Time"

To be quite honest, Dyson is not the one killing other Black people. When someone tells me "if you wouldn't do this or that", I take it personal. I'm not the one perpetuating crimes and doing stupid stuff. Guliani could have said "police officers wouldn't have to work as hard if those thugs didn't murder each other".

When I say something, I assign blame to the actual persons responsible, the thugs who are committing crimes. There is no "you people" with me. It is "those specific thugs" who are responsible.
Fair but "you" in this context means black people. Dyson was invited to offer the "black" view after all.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Goal.............post.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
The issue with Dyson's defensive response is, instead of worrying about the judicial outcome for crimes and killings, why not address the real issue which is...why are blacks killing other blacks at such a high rate in the first place and how to stop it!

Now although not wrong, Giuliani's comments were rather insensitive towards the black communities as a whole.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:43 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
I can't stand heated debates in which the moderator is always cutting people off so that it doesn't get off the ground.

Anyway, both sides had good points but were screaming over one another. Rudy Giuliani needed to listen about the fact that there is no trust in the black community for the police force, and also blacks are usually prosecuted for their crimes. Then the debate should have shifted to why don't blacks trust the police force (I believe it's white or black cops) and why aren't there as many prosecutions with white on black crime.

I'm assuming the white on black manslaughter isn't in cold blood, it has more to do with self defense, but it does need to be talked about.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Interesting how the left likes to assign collective responsibility, yet refuses to assign collective blame. In other words, we all have a responsibility to pay for social welfare programs, but when it comes to crime then it's just the individual that's responsible for his conduct.
we all use social welfare programs( Medicare, medicaid, Social Security), we do not all commit crimes.

Why did you even post that false equivalency ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies