Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:58 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,850 times

Advertisements

I am watching/listening now, and I began wondering, what happened to that$16 trillion bailout that was supposed to take care of all of this? Remember those "shovel ready" job's Obama talked about? So, he lied again.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...biuKbkRIus56Pg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
$16 trill, even if say 50% went to construction, would be a drop in the bucket. We have a huge problem money cannot solve. We have high traffic density in regions with outrageously aged infrastructure in dire need of flat out replacement, but the existing traffic means you can't just close Route XYZ for months or years on end while that occurs.

That bridge collapse in Minnesota..I'd expect many more at least that bad long-term.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am watching/listening now, and I began wondering, what happened to that$16 trillion bailout that was supposed to take care of all of this? Remember those "shovel ready" job's Obama talked about? So, he lied again.

If we have MORE drivers, illegals, etc paying the current motor tax, why isn't that enough?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
$16 trill, even if say 50% went to construction, would be a drop in the bucket. We have a huge problem money cannot solve. We have high traffic density in regions with outrageously aged infrastructure in dire need of flat out replacement, but the existing traffic means you can't just close Route XYZ for months or years on end while that occurs.

That bridge collapse in Minnesota..I'd expect many more at least that bad long-term.
The bridge that collapsed in Minnesota was one of the newer bridges. It collapsed because of a design flaw, not because it was worn out, old or in bad shape. (outside of the design flaw)

Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The bridge that collapsed in Minnesota was one of the newer bridges. It collapsed because of a design flaw, not because it was worn out, old or in bad shape. (outside of the design flaw)
I was on a long-term assignment in Minneapolis that day and drove across that bridge about 45 minutes before it collapsed.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Mn may have, but most major cities feature infrastructure whose useful life expired several decades ago, Since then, massive structures were built over them. It may simply be economically impossible as well as not feasible (logistics standpoint) to deal with that issue.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:29 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
Bush gave our infrastructure money to KBR/Haliburton ..I wonder how Iraq's roads are now? Probably not to good,but the money was spent.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,728,425 times
Quote:

one could rebuild all the infrastructure for 16 trillion.!!!! you must be mistaking 16 billion.. but hay billions and trillions are like millions to politicians..

Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:

Do you even have an idea of how much it would cost to repair all of the infrastructure in this country?

Also, what $16 trillion bailout was suppose to go to shovel ready projects? There was a $16 trillion bailout that went to the financial/banking industry to bailout the people who should be in prison right now, but that bailout had nothing to do with shovel ready projects.

The stimulus you are referring to was $840 billion, and only a portion of it went to shovel ready projects. Also, shovel ready meant projects that were ready to go and just waiting for money, it did not include projects that needed to happen that weren't yet ready to start construction.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
They must be wrong didn't Obama massive 800 Billion infrastructure stimulus with massive shovel ready jobs fix that. That is what he sold it as but really it went to special interest groups as discover long ago. Point the finger at person who was allowed to spend as wished>Obama. The infrastructure they talked about was part of the sells job. Never sold has alternative energy company funding; keep local government employee from feeling any job loses to include teachers. Two years later it happened anyway and we saw the outrage from having to be part of what happened to so many in private sector two years before. Basically divided up among democratic special interest. Obama proposed and even democrats didn't want to spend 800 billion again with Obama in charge. We just voted to spend billions from reserve STATE reserve funds on just that here. Tolls is one way if you can fund it otherwise and users pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies