Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I'm pretty certain they would not describe themselves as conservative, should they choose to view their work politically at all.
The lyrics in "The Trees" speak for themselves, honestly I don't think you'll find a song with more right wing overtones. To be fair it was written a long time ago.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:11 AM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not sure if they fit the "indie"label but Rush...

Last stanza for "The Trees"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4amV7__XFA
Do you really consider Rush an Indie band? They signed with Mercury Records (now part of the Universal Music Group) in 1974 and have been with Warner Music since 1989.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:31 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Biggest problems in blue cities... Chicago, LA, NYC, Philly, etc... What are they doing about it?
What should we do about it?

I vote gentrify and price them out of the city (already happening).

Quote:
The lyrics in "The Trees" speak for themselves, honestly I don't think you'll find a song with more right wing overtones. To be fair it was written a long time ago.
Allegedly, the song was really about if trees acted like people.

Neil Peart's First MD Interview

CI: The tune "Trees" from your Hemispheres album comes to my mind as you speak.
NP: Lyrically, that's a piece of doggerel. I certainly wouldn't be proud of the writing skill of that. What I would be proud of in that is taking a pure idea and creating an image for it. I was very proud of what I achieved in that sense. Although on the skill side of it, it's zero. I wrote "Trees" in about five minutes. It's simple rhyming and phrasing, but it illustrates a point so clearly. I wish I could do that all of the time.

CI: Did that particular song's lyrics cover a deeper social message?
NP: No, it was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought. "What if trees acted like people?" So, I saw it as a cartoon really, and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Arguably the top of this list goes to "Offspring"

With the song "Get a Job",

Agree?

But I would say they were diehard Libertarian, not necessarily conservative

The attitude of "you do whatever you like but not on my tax dollars...you have absolute freedom....but you want...you pay....not me

Social liberal and fiscally anti-Govt
I can buy all the cigarettes and Big Macs I want (but then I must pay for my liposuction or pay for my own insurance to cover it)
I can buy 17 seats on a commercial airline just to use those seats to put my stuff on top of if I agree to pay 17 times the price of an airline ticket out of my own pocket
I can throw out perfectly edible food
I can buy a cake and just use it to put inside my foot
I can drink out of my toilet

As long as it's my hardearned dollars at work footing it...it's my freedom
That's diehard libertarianism
don't know who they are..... that being said

George Thorogood's "get a haircut and get a real job" comes to mind

Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Not sure if they fit the "indie"label but Rush...

Last stanza for "The Trees"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4amV7__XFA
Rush somewhat fits the bill, but I wouldn't call them indie, I agree. And they are not really conservative, much more libertarian. Neil describes himself as a bleeding heart libertarian, IIRC. Many of their songs also have a strong anti-religion bent, especially Snakes and Arrows. Also songs like Free Will and The Weapon.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Doesn't matter. I'll take the song at face value.
Not so obsessed with politics that I see them in lyrics written by a mediocre band 22 years ago.
Megadeth has always powerful political commentary in its music, far more insightful and thought-provoking than the vast majority of vapid, paint-by-numbers music released over the past few decades. The Holy Wars is as true today as it was in 1990 and even recent tracks are still hammering home the political critique, tackling issues like domestic surveillance, terrorism, poverty and the ineptitude of the U.N.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. I'll take the song at face value.
Not so obsessed with politics that I see them in lyrics written by a mediocre band 22 years ago.
A mediocre band ? What kind of music do you listen to? I'm guessing Justin Bieber . Megadeth is awesome, but it sucks that Dave Mustaine remixed all of the Capitol albums in 2004 (instead of simply remastering them to make them louder than the older CDs).

Old 11-26-2014, 11:17 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
The lyrics in "The Trees" speak for themselves.
So does their author. Based on what I've heard him say, I don't think the guy would agree. Like I said; he read a book forty years ago and he wrote a song or two. And why not base your opinion on other songs, like "Far Cry"? Those lyrics speak for themselves too.

Or "The Way The Wind Blows". Lyrics like "from the middle east to the middle west, it's a world of superstition" are hardly right-wing.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:50 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Megadeth has always powerful political commentary in its music, far more insightful and thought-provoking than the vast majority of vapid, paint-by-numbers music released over the past few decades. The Holy Wars is as true today as it was in 1990 and even recent tracks are still hammering home the political critique, tackling issues like domestic surveillance, terrorism, poverty and the ineptitude of the U.N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
A mediocre band ? What kind of music do you listen to? I'm guessing Justin Bieber . Megadeth is awesome, but it sucks that Dave Mustaine remixed all of the Capitol albums in 2004 (instead of simply remastering them to make them louder than the older CDs).
I enjoy all kinds of music and have been playing all my life.
For that Bieber comment, I am downgrading Megadeth from mediocre to lame based on bonehead fans alone.
Plenty of better metal. They've got some good riffs and hooks. Other than that - pretty weak. Like their fanboys.

- - commence fanboy whining in 3... 2... 1.....

Had to add that Dave Mustardstain endorsed Rick Santorum in 2012 for having "some presidential qualities."
Seriously needed that laugh today. What an idiot.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I enjoy all kinds of music and have been playing all my life.
For that Bieber comment, I am downgrading Megadeth from mediocre to lame based on bonehead fans alone.
Plenty of better metal. They've got some good riffs and hooks. Other than that - pretty weak. Like their fanboys.

- - commence fanboy whining in 3... 2... 1.....

Had to add that Dave Mustardstain endorsed Rick Santorum in 2012 for having "some presidential qualities."
Seriously needed that laugh today. What an idiot.
Thankfully, I think you're the only one who values your opinion. Rick Santorum had no chance of winning, but any Republican is better than any Democrat. Jay Nixon helped to prove what nasty slime Democrats truly are by allowing that rioting to happen. I also don't care what the political leanings are of a band that I love. I think the guitar work of Mustaine and Friedman in the mid 1990's is some of the best in metal and I'm sure many others agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies