Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 12:35 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Can you tell what melts ice, other than heat? Does it matter where the heat is coming from?.....
You have to be out of your mind or completely ignorant to think that Antarctica's air temperature is causing ice to melt. Outside the Peninsula, do you have any idea how much below freezing it is over the Antarctic land mass?

Ocean currents around Antarctica's ice shelf is what's causing the melt. Not air temps

JPL | News | Warm Ocean Causing Most Antarctic Ice Shelf Mass Loss

Do you trust satellite data? here are the trends.

Antarctic temperature trends

Quote:
Antarctica and Greenland combined are losing 500 cubic km of ice per year.

And what does that translate into sea level rise?

Quote:
The new upper bound to the sea level rise from the Antarctic ice sheet, averaged over the time span 2003.0–2012.0, is about 0.16±0.09 mm/yr.
Antarctic contribution to sea level rise observed by GRACE with improved GIA correction - Ivins - 2013 - Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth - Wiley Online Library

Wow the sheer horror. Sixteen hundreths of a millimeter plus or minus nine hundreths from Antarctica's ice melt a year over the last 10 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
You have to be out of your mind or completely ignorant to think that Antarctica's air temperature is causing ice to melt. Outside the Peninsula, do you have any idea how much below freezing it is over the Antarctic land mass?

Ocean currents around Antarctica's ice shelf is what's causing the melt. Not air temps

Antarctic contribution to sea level rise observed by GRACE with improved GIA correction - Ivins - 2013 - Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth - Wiley Online Library

Wow the sheer horror. Sixteen hundreths of a millimeter plus or minus nine hundreths from Antarctica's ice melt a year over the last 10 years.

Great info!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Is that so.... Professor,ROTFLMBO!
Yes, there is a difference, and from the sounds of it, you didn't realize there was.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Only if the OP doesn't know the difference between land ice and sea ice and how sea ice is created.
It was sea ice that was considerably thicker.

Do you know the difference?

Please tell us of all of the empirical evidence that you have witnessed that confirms your belief in GW.

My evidence is that I stand on the banks of the Delaware River in Philly at least once a week since 1970 or so......there is absolutely no rise in the sea level.

Furthermore, it still gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

When I look at a geographical map of Pennsylvania, NJ and NY, I see the scrapes and lakes which were formed when the mile thick glaciers receded beginning 12,000 years ago. Many animals went extinct during that period....we have absolute evidence that Mammoths once roamed North America, but no longer exist.

What have YOU got? A few charts on CO2?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It was sea ice that was considerably thicker.

Do you know the difference?

Please tell us of all of the empirical evidence that you have witnessed that confirms your belief in GW.

My evidence is that I stand on the banks of the Delaware River in Philly at least once a week since 1970 or so......there is absolutely no rise in the sea level.

Furthermore, it still gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

When I look at a geographical map of Pennsylvania, NJ and NY, I see the scrapes and lakes which were formed when the mile thick glaciers receded beginning 12,000 years ago. Many animals went extinct during that period....we have absolute evidence that Mammoths once roamed North America, but no longer exist.

What have YOU got? A few charts on CO2?
Yes, that is in the ocean, and what happens when that thicker sea ice moves into warmer water? It melts, that isn't a good thing.

But you guys keep thinking that there is nothing wrong and that we haven't seen any changes to the climate over the years from the effects of global warming. The planet doesn't need your approval to warm.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So land ice is decreasing, but sea ice is increasing (in certain areas)? That's not good for sea levels.
Yeah! That Greek guy who got into a bathtub and discovered DISPLACEMENT.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:52 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Really nice, calling me crazy for something I didn't say.....You have to be out of your mind to think I said "Antarctica's air temperature is causing ice to melt."

http://www.columbia.edu/~mhs119/SeaLevel/

Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Yeah! That Greek guy who got into a bathtub and discovered DISPLACEMENT.
An increase in Arctic sea ice could blow the Holland d*kes to smither Fkn marines, man.

We don't need no more ice inflation!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Antarctica's ice paradox has yet another puzzling layer. Not only is the amount of sea ice increasing each year, but an underwater robot now shows the ice is also much thicker than was previously thought, a new study reports.

Robot Sub Finds Surprisingly Thick Antarctic Sea Ice

Found this really interesting,as it seems to be another example proving that 'Global Warming' is nothing but BS!
This is just more data that has never been accounted for in all these climate models, but it does not matter, the science is settled, don't ya know.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Did you miss this? The continent's sea ice has set new records for the past three winters. At the same time, Antarctica's ice sheet (the glacial ice on land) is melting and retreating.
Funny how that works, eh? Care to enlighten us on how and why this occurs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies