Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,407,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends on the job of course.

If it's an MBA but the job has a heavy sales angle then that's of course the big equalizer as that in and of itself is a big gift.

Now, for things like brain surgery and designing computer chips.....not so much.

You are right. Asian Doctor Harvard educated for eye or brain surgery.

Irish Sales Person who can hold his liquir, tell a great joke or two and knows all the great steak places.

You cant fake brain surgery on wit and good looks.

You also cant fake being cool, funny and being able to hold your liquir.

True story my Indian buddy who is a heck of a lot more book smart than me at Goldman on his fourth month there at a client drinking party basically passed out, they had to drag him to a cab, Cabbie demanded money up front as it was Jersey, Partner and another guy had to come up with 200 cash while a big client they just signed to do an IPO wached in disgust and complained. Basically his excuse was he does not drink much or is one for partying and cant really drink more than two drinks max. Well I guess he does not understand he should have went to a few keg parties in college he was gone a few weeks later. I guess it works both ways. But the well rounded guy with high GPA and great schools are the ones who get to CEO, as it is hard to find.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:37 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,376,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What's fair or unfair in.Harvard's case?

For the millionth time...It's an exclusive country club with classrooms.

Is it fair that Augusta National won't give me a tee time or membership?

Let me fix it:

It's an exclusive liberal country club with classrooms.

Otbewise, bravo.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,335,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, Michigan, Cal Tech, Northwestern, Duke...all extremely selective.

It ain't only the Ivys with uber smart kids.
Yeah, I agree.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:45 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,652,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Some Asian groups are not really known to be academically successful, but they have to compete with Chinese, Koreans and Indians... for the reduced cap, Not fair for them too.
Americans like to treat all Asians as if they are one Monolithic group.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post

Irish Sales Person who can hold his liquir, tell a great joke or two and knows all the great steak places.

True story my Indian buddy who is a heck of a lot more book smart than me at Goldman on his fourth month there at a client drinking party basically passed out, they had to drag him to a cab, Cabbie demanded money up front as it was Jersey, Partner and another guy had to come up with 200 cash while a big client they just signed to do an IPO wached in disgust and complained. Basically his excuse was he does not drink much or is one for partying and cant really drink more than two drinks max. Well I guess he does not understand he should have went to a few keg parties in college he was gone a few weeks later. I guess it works both ways. But the well rounded guy with high GPA and great schools are the ones who get to CEO, as it is hard to find.
lol funny and true.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:17 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,569,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This topics where I show that I am not a full-on liberal, though most think I am.

I have a hard time with the logic of blaming minority underachievement on racism, when it is obvious that Asian immigrants succeed despute having to deal with racism, as did Jewish people a century ago. But both groups outperform the white population as whole in academics and income. We cannot even utter the obvious reason, which national and global academic and iq tests have demonstrated repeatedly and overwhelmingly for a century, so we have to blame it on racism. The white man's guilt is always the liberal answer for obvious group differences in intellectual talent. I find that illogic vexing. Affirmative action is intended to be kind-hearted, but is racist on its face.

With the Asians, it is partly raw intellectual talent, but just as important, it is work ethic and culture. They provide a model that is open to everyone.
Thank you for saying this.

As an asian man, I'm a bit disturbed to have found out that schools are taking off 50 SAT points for asian students while adding 200+ points for other minority students. I know for a fact that we work extremely hard to get where we are. And you don't ever see asian race riots... even though plenty of us have been victims of hate crimes.

My family came from one of the poorest places in east asia. When I was little, I remember sometimes our parents would tell us kids to sleep all day because there wasn't anything to eat that day.

We managed to get over here to the US as political refuges. And as soon as we came, my eldest brother (in his 20's) went straight to college. So, he was learning English (we started out not speaking a word of English) and taking engineering classes at the same time. He is now head engineer of an engineering firm in the Midwest. My eldest sister's got him beat, though. She had to help my parents support us kids, so she didn't have time to go to school. She started out in the assembly line. Became a technician a few years later. Then got promoted to engineer. She is now the head engineer of the design department of an tech company that employs hundreds of thousands of people world wide. And she still doesn't have a degree.

It is now 6pm and I'm still in my office working to try to get as much stuff done as possible before Thanksgiving. We all work hard, and I'm damn proud of this fact.

I cringe every time I see a right winger complain that illegal immigrants are taking all the jobs. Um... how many generations have they been here? It took my family less than 1 generation to reach the upper middle class range. If these right wingers have been here all their lives (for generations) and they still have trouble competing with newly arrived immigrants, then I don't feel sorry for them at all.

And who says we don't face racism? In our politically correct atmosphere, asians are the only people I can think of who have to deal with people making fun of us in the open. Even in adulthood, I still have to deal with people making fun of our language by making nonsensical sounds like "chong chong chong". I'm still called a "*****" all the time. I think it's because people of other races know asians often times are not confrontational. Try doing the same to black people and see what happens.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:28 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,636,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
It's unfair to non-hispanic, non-Jewish white Americans.

Anytime a minority needs more space in their college, it's the white share that gets cut but more specifically, the non-hispanic, non-Jewish white share.

Jewish students need to check their Semitic privilege and voluntarily drop out.
LOL? You sure you wouldn't want them to go to some camps and just hit the showers?

Last edited by HyperionGap; 11-25-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,683,753 times
Quote:

One does not need to go to Harvard to learn how to drink/party.
Yes, the society needs people who know how to drink to please clients, but such jobs do not need a college degree.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,683,753 times
Quote:
Well the Bronx School of Science which is an excelent magnet school is nearly 100% Asian in a mainly black and hispanic neighborhood. Folks who live in neighborhood are forced to go to inferior schools.
OK, let's move all the Asian kids to another school, and move the black and Hispanic kids to this Bronx School of Science. You guess what will happen?

Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post

I cringe every time I see a right winger complain that illegal immigrants are taking all the jobs. Um... how many generations have they been here? It took my family less than 1 generation to reach the upper middle class range. If these right wingers have been here all their lives (for generations) and they still have trouble competing with newly arrived immigrants, then I don't feel sorry for them at all.

And who says we don't face racism? In our politically correct atmosphere, asians are the only people I can think of who have to deal with people making fun of us in the open. Even in adulthood, I still have to deal with people making fun of our language by making nonsensical sounds like "chong chong chong". I'm still called a "*****" all the time. I think it's because people of other races know asians often times are not confrontational. Try doing the same to black people and see what happens.
you mean the "RIGHT WINGER" like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwPu_LuTZs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies