Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Hanging with Crosby, Stills & Nash singing about "teaching your parents well" in San Francisco.

The worst concert I ever attend was Bob Dylan. Paid to see him drunk and he got pissed off after 5 songs, he walked off stage.
Dylan had a great band with him the night I saw him and did pretty good..now Hank Jr.? He was a drunken idiot that peed himself and only had one boot on..he was eased off the stage..Waylon opened for him and you could tell he was pissed..in retrospect it was a crap show,but kinda funny...tickets were at least cheap back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So the liberal anthem is "I ain't gonna work tomorrow?" That's about right.

Here's a more noble impulse of liberalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDd64suDz1A
True picture of being "poor."

Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
I'm pretty sure the guys in Old Crow Medicine Show are liberal. I've never heard them specifically say anything about being liberal or conservative, but I just pick up that vibe from them. I've seen them live several times and for some reason they just strike me as liberal. I've got nothing to back that feeling up...just think they probably are.
I think liberals and conservatives certainly have a look about them. Easy to pick either one out in a crowd!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:14 AM

I usually am not to interested in politics mixed in with music,but this one is one I always really liked..very well written and was written/recorded during the Bush regimes reign.

We Can't Make It Here Anymore - by James Mcmurtry - YouTube

Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
Dylan had a great band with him the night I saw him and did pretty good..now Hank Jr.? He was a drunken idiot that peed himself and only had one boot on..he was eased off the stage..Waylon opened for him and you could tell he was pissed..in retrospect it was a crap show,but kinda funny...tickets were at least cheap back then
I saw Hank Jr in 89' in Chico, CA...... he was so drunk before he hit stage! When he sang his first song we all looked at each other like WTH is he singing!!! It was terrible, so we proceed to drink MORE!

Oh yes, concert tickets were certainly cheap, I paid $30.00 to see the Rolling Stones in San Francisco during their Steel Wheels tour, they came to Boise, ID and wanted $400.00 per ticket I think Mick leans liberal......a lot of their music is political........

Street Fighting Man:

This was the first Stones song to make a powerful political statement, although with an air of resignation. Jagger opens the song declaring "that the time is right for fighting in the street," but goes on to sing, "But what can a poor boy do, 'cept sing in a rock and roll band."

This sense of hopelessness in the face of atrocity may be why the Rolling Stones became apolitical, focusing their efforts on songs about relationships and rock n' roll. In the process, they became very rich and beloved by members of all political persuasion.

In the US, this was released as a single on August 31, 1968, just a few days after the Democratic National Convention, which took place August 26-29. The convention was marred by violence, as Chicago police clashed with protesters. When the song was released, every radio station in Chicago (and most in the rest of the country), refused to play it for fear that it would incite more violence. There was no official ban in America or Chicago, but stations knew it was in their best interest to shun the song, which accounts for its meager chart position of #48.

Mick Jagger later said: "The radio stations that banned the song told me that 'Street Fighting Man' was subversive. Of course it's subversive, we said. It's stupid to think you can start a revolution with a record. I wish you could!"

Street Fighting Man by The Rolling Stones Songfacts

Old 11-26-2014, 08:26 AM

$40 for the Stones! THAT will never happen again..we checked on tickets for them about 8-10 years ago and iirc it was in the 1000 dollar range..each..so we just used that money to see the Allman's and a summers worth of other shows and just listened to Stone's CDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I saw Hank Jr in 89' in Chico, CA...... he was so drunk before he hit stage! When he sang his first song we all looked at each other like WTH is he singing!!! It was terrible, so we proceed to drink MORE!

Oh yes, concert tickets were certainly cheap, I paid $30.00 to see the Rolling Stones in San Francisco during their Steel Wheels tour, they came to Boise, ID and wanted $400.00 per ticket I think Mick leans liberal......a lot of their music is political........

Street Fighting Man:

This was the first Stones song to make a powerful political statement, although with an air of resignation. Jagger opens the song declaring "that the time is right for fighting in the street," but goes on to sing, "But what can a poor boy do, 'cept sing in a rock and roll band."

This sense of hopelessness in the face of atrocity may be why the Rolling Stones became apolitical, focusing their efforts on songs about relationships and rock n' roll. In the process, they became very rich and beloved by members of all political persuasion.

In the US, this was released as a single on August 31, 1968, just a few days after the Democratic National Convention, which took place August 26-29. The convention was marred by violence, as Chicago police clashed with protesters. When the song was released, every radio station in Chicago (and most in the rest of the country), refused to play it for fear that it would incite more violence. There was no official ban in America or Chicago, but stations knew it was in their best interest to shun the song, which accounts for its meager chart position of #48.

Mick Jagger later said: "The radio stations that banned the song told me that 'Street Fighting Man' was subversive. Of course it's subversive, we said. It's stupid to think you can start a revolution with a record. I wish you could!"

Street Fighting Man by The Rolling Stones Songfacts

Old 11-26-2014, 09:40 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
I'd say most bluegrass is rooted in the experience of the rural poor and working class, and so has a liberal bent, with some religion thrown in. Plenty of old country too.

Johny Cash was a pretty cool example of a country singer with a broad view. A Baptist, but not self-righteous, and concerned with universal issues. I am not sure I would say liberal, but certainly not conservative either. He did not hate his fellow man.

Johnny Cash's Religion and Political Views | Hollowverse

"Cash was quite political, particularly with his music. Often known as the “Man in Black,” perhaps it is his song about why he always wore black that best describes his political positions. He sings:
I wear the black for the poor and beaten down/living in the hopeless, hungry side of town/I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime/but is there because he’s a victim of the time.[SIZE=2]5[/SIZE]
Through his music, Cash fought against the injustice brought upon Native Americans, he spoke out against Vietnam, and he condemned racism and prejudice.[SIZE=2]6[/SIZE] His ideals were the ideals of freedom and justice and an equal opportunity for all. Both sides of the political fence–while he was alive and after his death–tried to claim Cash as their own, but Johnny knew better. He stood for higher ideals than could be categorized as “Republican” or “Democrat.” His daughter, Rosanne, once said:
[My dad] didn’t care where you stood politically… [he] could love all stripes, and that’s why all stripes claim him.
I like to think that Johnny was above politics and more about people and peace and happiness and cooperation."

[ I like Cash's perspective]

The poppy commercial country & western (Tobey Keith, Clint Black, etc.) seems to bank on the macho, redneck conservative angle as a schtick. Some if it is darn good, but it is all a show. Dwight Yoakum was in a punk band before going country. He was following the money.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 AM

451 posts, read 465,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Dwight Yoakum was in a punk band before going country. He was following the money.
Dwight Yoakam was never in a punk band, he dabbled with rootsy rock when he was teenager learning to play guitar, but was a determined hard country singer playing in mostly country bars by the time he became a working musician in his 20s. He played country music to punk fans in rock clubs during the L.A. cowpunk fad to gain exposure and because he had already been kicked out of most country clubs for being "too country".

Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
People actually listen to those genres? Only thing that could be worse is opera.
You, my friend, are being foolish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJITpfQnrOU

Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
$40 for the Stones! THAT will never happen again..we checked on tickets for them about 8-10 years ago and iirc it was in the 1000 dollar range..each..so we just used that money to see the Allman's and a summers worth of other shows and just listened to Stone's CDs
It was like a Day of Sunshine!!! I was driving home from work and heard on the radio the Stones planned to play in San Francisco after the huge earthquake. They announced tickets would go on sell in 2 hrs, I raced home changed my clothes and went to the next town 30 mins away to buy my tickets. All the while knowing there may not be any left. I did happen to make it as they were opening and got 2 tickets to the Worlds Greatest Rock Band I am not a fan!!!!
'Living Color' opened it was 4 hours of pure rock and roll, no politics were inserted!!!

Darius Rucker: Doesn't seem liberal, maybe, more Blue-Dog Dem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies