Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on the Privacy (pick 2)
I have nothing to hide, let them track me 24/7 3 6.98%
Im a bit concerned with the intrusion, but its ok if its for the greater good 7 16.28%
I dont like this at all. They shouldnt be tracking people except under extreme cases 28 65.12%
************************************ 3 6.98%
We will lose much if not all of our privacy 20 46.51%
We wont lose any more privacy than we already have 6 13.95%
We will get a rollback, and gain more privacy 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,430,897 times

Advertisements

U.S. near bottom of global privacy index - Security - MSNBC.com

we are losing this right more and more as time goes by.

Does this concern you?

How do you see your right to privacy in 10 yrs? 20?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,125,620 times
I know it says to pick 2... but only one really applies and I'm not voting for stars.

I've got nothing to hide, they can track me as long as they want. Oh wait, they already do. Because of my job, anything and everything I do can be tracked and such by the government. They can legally tap my phones and I wouldn't know it.

It's no big deal really. *shrug*

Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM

22,847 posts, read 28,081,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
U.S. near bottom of global privacy index - Security - MSNBC.com

we are losing this right more and more as time goes by.

Does this concern you?
Yep. People need to watch their government. The government shouldn't watch the people.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:20 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,382,244 times
I don't doubt that everyone will lose a lot of privacy over the next 10-20 years, just as we have over the past 10-20. The real question is to whom will we lose it. Will it be someone like the priest at confession, or will it be some identity-thief who then proceeds to max out all our credit cards. Things don't look all that good for the priest so far. It is, after all, the identity-thief who turns the greater profit, and free market capitalism does love a profit...from whatever source derived...

Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,661,027 times
The government is beginning to become oppressive. The Patriot Act, and legislation like it that will be passed in the future, and increasingly more powerful computers, will put our lives under a microscope.

I don't like it, but I guess we need to get used to it.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 PM

626 posts, read 990,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I don't doubt that everyone will lose a lot of privacy over the next 10-20 years, just as we have over the past 10-20. The real question is to whom will we lose it. Will it be someone like the priest at confession, or will it be some identity-thief who then proceeds to max out all our credit cards. Things don't look all that good for the priest so far. It is, after all, the identity-thief who turns the greater profit, and free market capitalism does love a profit...from whatever source derived...
Yes, the abolition of private property is the answer! Or perhaps you believe the government should start regulating identity theft?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,121,054 times
The current anti-privacy phenomenon is an attempt to reduce the human being to numbers on paper. It always has been about control, throughout history. With current technology, that control can be achieved. Of course, not everyone will willingly walk into the prison, they have to be prodded. Our genetic development has made fear, not love, the greatest motivator, hence, 9/11 achieved its objective: our methodical imprisonment.

I have always and will continue to argue that freedom is our natural state of being. There is no need to assert it or to fight for more. When one freedom is yielded to others, all the rest will follow.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,637,288 times
If people want to keep voting more power to the government and want the government to make more decisions for our lives, then we are goin gto lose privacy simply from a control perspective. Imagine what it would be like with programs such National Health Care. Imagine the control the government is going to want to have over your lives, but all in the name of the common good.

Less government would lead to more privacy.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,556,521 times
The private sector already knows far too much about my "private" life. I trust them less than any government because the government cannot make a profit off the information and the private sector exists to do so.

We teach children about privacy with the old Christmas song about Santa Clause.

“I’m making a list and checking it twice
I’ll know who has been naughty or nice.”

Talk about instilling fear. My first step to freedom was realizing that Santa could NOT “know if I had been naughty or nice”. Only I could know that and if I were the least bit careful my parents wouldn’t know either.

The same applies to the private sector and the government. Show them what they expect and keep the rest to yourself.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,512,773 times
I'm no legal scholar, but it's my understanding that the average American would be absolutely shocked to learn just how little "right to privacy" we really DO have. And I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it--it's just an inevitable side-effect of ever-increasing technology. Several thinkers along these lines have alluded to the fact that in the future, ALL of us will have to simply learn to take it for granted that virtually ALL of our daily activities, public or private, will be able to be "observed" by someone, somehow---and we'll just have to learn (or at least future generations will), to accept this--just as we've ALREADY accepted 'outrages' that our independent ancestors would have found intolerable.

In an age of unimaginably intelligent computers, aerial surveillance, etc etc etc. there really is no possibility we'll ever again know the 'privacy' that was known in the past. We can try to 'regulate' it a bit, but that's about all. Intrusion is inevitable, and it's here to stay. Do I LIKE this?..Nope....but I accept its inevitability. You can't "un-invent' technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies