Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 AM

654 posts, read 1,248,758 times

Advertisements

What is it with blacks and matches?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM

779 posts, read 630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
And...how often does it happen, particularly white-on-black (cop-on-victim)?

Comparable to black-on-white perp-on-victim?

This hyperbolic crap is getting to the point of infuriating.
They don't keep the best records on that but they're starting now. So we know partial totals for death by cop but the details aren't broken down well (unarmed, racial profile, justified, justified with a payout in civil court, etc) I think it's left up to certain jurisdictions so the numbers aren't the most accurate. Unlike all other crime there is no national government database with well detailed totals.

I hear they average somewhere in the 400 range.

I think the emotion comes in because people are likely to interact with cops more than a few times. Some of those shootings result from confrontations when a crime is committed but some stem from traffic stops, stop and frisk type situations, and simply coming in contact with a cop who thinks you look suspicious and comes at you as if you are a criminal. Over the years I've come to assume that most interactions will involve a cop being hostile towards you even for the smallest of things. You feel like a criminal when you've done nothing wrong and it starts to feel like it is us against them when they should be your ally.

A black person is more likely to be killed by another black person but most black people aren't carrying guns so in your interactions with the many that you come into contact with you simply don't fear that it will end with miscommunication and you getting shot. It's not a really grounded in reality if we're playing the odds but neither is a white person being killed by a black stranger and yet...

Old 11-26-2014, 10:09 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,655,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A few tips...

1) Don't steal from people and assault them
2) Don't go out of your way to be a douchebag
3) Don't assault police officers
4) Especially don't try to take the gun of a police officer
5) Get a job would be nice as well, but that might be a bit much for some people

OK, end of today's lesson on how to be a decent person
People who refuse to see (above) and continue to think Brown was in the right, then rioting, looting and burning. I'm not sure what message they hope to give and the what they hope to accomplish as apposed to the message that we are receiving and what they are not accomplishing. The message we are getting is

1) Blacks think it's ok to steal from shop owners
2) Blacks think it's ok to assault police officers
3) They will ignore evidence if it doesn't support what they think the outcome should be
4) If the outcome isn't what they want, they'll loot and "burn this b*tch down.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,097,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
People who refuse to see (above) and continue to think Brown was in the right, then rioting, looting and burning. I'm not sure what message they hope to give and the what they hope to accomplish as apposed to the message that we are receiving and what they are not accomplishing. The message we are getting is

3) They will ignore evidence if it doesn't support what they think the outcome should be
You really believe that

Old 11-26-2014, 10:22 AM

45,363 posts, read 26,961,518 times
Quote:
A few tips...

5) Get a job would be nice as well, but that might be a bit much for some people

Pretty simple, common sense stuff here.

Personal testimony. I'm black - 6'4" tall. Someone at our workplace had their tire lugnuts loosened on their car. So before I went to lunch, I checked my truck and a few cars on the street to make sure their lugnuts were OK. I come back from lunch, and two police people are pointing their guns at me and my hands are on the truck. I was totally clueless at the time why this was going on. The person whose car was vandalized rushed out and called off the police.

I came to find out there were two calls to the police. One from the car owner at our business - and one from across the street saying they saw me fooling with some cars on the street (which technically I was), and thought I was the perpetrator.

Now I could have acted ugly and indignant and offended. However, I was surprisingly calm, and I know God so whatever happened I would be where He wanted me to be. The police apologized, we shook hands and moved on. I just believe in 99% (not 100%) of the cases, if you act politely and suffer the inconvenience, encounters with policemen will not end up on the nightly news.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:25 AM

779 posts, read 630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Now why in the hell would that be your take away?
Black people are repeatedly being quoted as wanting peace and not the destruction that is going on. The number of actual rioters and looters is small in comparison to the peaceful protestors and general black population of that area.

Where have most people said that assaulting officers is a-ok? I think you mistake wanting a person to go to trial for assault, and not shot on the street, for acceptance of assault. That is an odd leap to make.

Had evidence been ignored or do some people think that the end result could have been different? Do people really just want a trial with cross examinations, an ability to great all of the testimony and have it scrutinized by a defense attorney, etc? The latter is what I know I wanted.

Way to quote a guy who just saw the last chance for a trial for the death of his step kid end along with his wife having an emotional breakdown because of it.

If everyone who disagreed with this verdict acted the way that the small number of looters and rioters did LA would look like a fiesta. Luckily the overwhelming majority of people who wanted an actual trial aren't the people that you perceive them to be.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,655,465 times
In all of the talk not once have I heard a black say what he was in the wrong. All I hear is excuses. Just saying. So set me straight. I'd like to hear that you don't think that it's ok to rob a store, to attack a cop, and why in the world would you think it's ok to loot and destroy businesses by as Browns step father said "Burn this B*tch down"

Never ever do we hear that Brown was wrong, all I hear is excuses for him.

Do you really think this is the case to make a point on?

Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,684,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
While discussing the Michael Brown shooting, 'The View' says, you can be shot for no reason for being in the wrong spot, or you can be murdered for being suspected of something.
This is true regardless of the color of your skin.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,684,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Whoever made this statement makes a whole bunch of leaps of faith and ignores facts:

Michael Brown was not shot "for no reason". He was not murdered for being suspected of something, he was killed because he got into a physical confrontation with a cop, which rarely turns out positively for the person who isn't a cop. The only conjecture is how the confrontation escalated and who the aggressor was. That's it.
It's "The View"..... and you expect to hear something intelligent?

Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,971,802 times
Quote:
A few tips...

Conservatives don't make good civil libertarians.

They easily judge and can't look at the facts straight.

Michael Brown could've been the biggest hood in Missouri, it still wouldn't matter. What's argued is how Officer Wilson handled standard procedure as a cop.

All you guys do is judge and think, "don't be a thug and ya won't get shot".

Even criminals have rights. There are ways cops have of doing things. Its clear as day you guys want people you deem undesirable to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies