Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,947,017 times

Advertisements

April 2, 1875, an extraordinary man was born. Let's call him W.

W worked his way from an apprentice in a railroad shop to eventually becoming a mechanic and to eventually managing the building of locomotives by ALCO.

From there, he moved to the automobile industry as production chief for Buick. When Buick changed hands, W resigned. The new owner asked him to stay on... In charge of the whole enterprise. He did. To the tune of a more than a half million dollars. And Buick prospered.

But the head of Buick was intemperant with money. So, W left. He was hired for a MILLION a year to to try to fix Willys. But he was unable to take control away from Willys. So he left.

He then bought the ailing Maxwell.

And being a good engineer and mechanic, he hired other good men to come and fix what ailed and Maxwell survived - to be reorganized in Chrysler. Yes, he was Walter P Chrysler. One of the things most of his biographies leave out, is that WPC went looking for good men. Capable, able, and of good character.

And he hired them and let them do their jobs.

When was the last time you saw an ad for "A good man" to be put in a position of responsibility. Nope, we see demands for degrees and resumes. People without a degree from an elite university? Why, they're ignorant, can't be put in charge of important things.

And lest you think this is sexist, it has nothing to do with gender. Nothing about this leaves out women.

In politics today, there's no place left for good men. Good men (and women) make decisions and do the right thing. And they get their character and name assassinated for doing so. Look at the abuse liberals heap on Palin. Though her governorship was extraordinarily good.

When character mattered, we would never have dreamed of electing Barack Obama. Anyone. After all, he was from one of the universally known corrupt political machines in the nation. And never did anything to reduce said corruption, no, he used it to it's fullest potential to get where he wanted to go.

There is no longer any place left for good men in our society. We marginalize them, call them names, call them bigots and ignorant for having firm beliefs and not compromising them.

But when there's no place left for good men... What fills that space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,072,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
April 2, 1875, an extraordinary man was born. Let's call him W.

W worked his way from an apprentice in a railroad shop to eventually becoming a mechanic and to eventually managing the building of locomotives by ALCO.

From there, he moved to the automobile industry as production chief for Buick. When Buick changed hands, W resigned. The new owner asked him to stay on... In charge of the whole enterprise. He did. To the tune of a more than a half million dollars. And Buick prospered.

But the head of Buick was intemperant with money. So, W left. He was hired for a MILLION a year to to try to fix Willys. But he was unable to take control away from Willys. So he left.

He then bought the ailing Maxwell.

And being a good engineer and mechanic, he hired other good men to come and fix what ailed and Maxwell survived - to be reorganized in Chrysler. Yes, he was Walter P Chrysler. One of the things most of his biographies leave out, is that WPC went looking for good men. Capable, able, and of good character.

And he hired them and let them do their jobs.

When was the last time you saw an ad for "A good man" to be put in a position of responsibility. Nope, we see demands for degrees and resumes. People without a degree from an elite university? Why, they're ignorant, can't be put in charge of important things.

And lest you think this is sexist, it has nothing to do with gender. Nothing about this leaves out women.

In politics today, there's no place left for good men. Good men (and women) make decisions and do the right thing. And they get their character and name assassinated for doing so. Look at the abuse liberals heap on Palin. Though her governorship was extraordinarily good.

When character mattered, we would never have dreamed of electing Barack Obama. Anyone. After all, he was from one of the universally known corrupt political machines in the nation. And never did anything to reduce said corruption, no, he used it to it's fullest potential to get where he wanted to go.

There is no longer any place left for good men in our society. We marginalize them, call them names, call them bigots and ignorant for having firm beliefs and not compromising them.

But when there's no place left for good men... What fills that space?
So when did character matter? In 1968 when we elected Nixon?

Explain that.

Did character matter in 1913 when we elected Woodrow Wilson?

Explain that.

Everything and everybody was honorable and decent in the past and everything is dishonorable and indecent in modern times.

This thread is laughable.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So when did character matter? In 1968 when we elected Nixon?

Explain that.

Did character matter in 1913 when we elected Woodrow Wilson?

Explain that.

Everything and everybody was honorable and decent in the past and everything is dishonorable and indecent in modern times.

This thread is laughable.
Only you are laughable.

Mocking the idea of character mattering...

Makes you not just complicit, it makes you the problem.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Only you are laughable.

Mocking the idea of character mattering...

Makes you not just complicit, it makes you the problem.
Ok...I'm complicit and the problem.

Now answer the questions.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Ok...I'm complicit and the problem.

Now answer the questions.
Why?

Of what relevance are they?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Why?

Of what relevance are they?
Look, "when character mattered" are YOUR words!

So please tell us when this magical time was when character mattered? What years?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Look, "when character mattered" are YOUR words!

So please tell us when this magical time was when character mattered? What years?
No. I don't play your game. Since you don't want integrity, and mock integrity, nothing said to you will be discussed at face value.

Character mattered when countless people hired good men and gave them responsibility. Character mattered when a soldier threw himself on a mine so one died and not 5. Character mattered when we prosecuted people for not respecting the responsibility they were entrusted with and were removed or prosecuted.

Character mattered when good men did what should be done in office and took responsibility for and made decisions based on honoring the responsibilities given them.

But none of that matters to you, does it?

You have gone to great lengths to attempt to denigrate the idea that character matters.

After all, if character doesn't matter to anyone and never has, then you're free to by cynical, advocate for purely selfish reasons, and to lie with impunity... because it doesn't matter.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2014 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: personal/off topic

Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM

265 posts, read 400,817 times
Quote:
And they get their character and name assassinated for doing so. Look at the abuse liberals heap on Palin. Though her governorship was extraordinarily good.
It was hard for me to keep reading the rest of your post after reading the above-quoted part. If her governorship was so extraordinarily good, then why did she abandon her post?

For the record, I'm not a liberal. I'm one of the few people who votes on issues, not parties. I'm a registered independent. But Palin is a quitter, which is the least respectable character trait a politician can have, in my opinion.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
It was hard for me to keep reading the rest of your post after reading the above-quoted part. If her governorship was so extraordinarily good, then why did she abandon her post?
If you expect a question to be answered, do not have a lie as its basic premise.

Quote:
For the record, I'm not a liberal. I'm one of the few people who votes on issues, not parties. I'm a registered independent. But Palin is a quitter, which is the least respectable character trait a politician can have, in my opinion.
Yes, it's true, politicians should cling to office with a death grip, doing ANYTHING to cling to reigns of power.

Yes, such character matters to you, obviously.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,045,002 times
Quote:
No. I don't play your game. Since you don't want integrity, and mock integrity, nothing said to you will be discussed at face value.

Character mattered when countless people hired good men and gave them responsibility. Character mattered when a soldier threw himself on a mine so one died and not 5. Character mattered when we prosecuted people for not respecting the responsibility they were entrusted with and were removed or prosecuted.

Character mattered when good men did what should be done in office and took responsibility for and made decisions based on honoring the responsibilities given them.

But none of that matters to you, does it?

You have gone to great lengths to attempt to denigrate the idea that character matters.

After all, if character doesn't matter to anyone and never has, then you're free to by cynical, advocate for purely selfish reasons, and to lie with impunity... because it doesn't matter.
Yep..chararcter and honor did exist at one time and a working man with skills was valued in America..and then came Reagan and it all switched around to where everything was deregulated and the guy with honor and character was shoved out of the way as the hogs fed at the trough of greed..RIP honor and character....we miss you

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies