Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

But my problem is that when the cops do get there, he's sitting alone at a table with nobody nearby, doing nothing - and had been for several minutes. I don't understand why the cops drove straight up to him and shot him immediately under those circumstances.
I agree with that. The way the cops pulled up to him it forced a kid to quickly make a rational decision. It seems like pulling up on the street and getting behind the car and then addressing the suspect would have been the thing to do. I do not know what training or procedures are usually followed in these cases.

Once that kid reached for the gun the cops had no other choice IMO. The mistake was made in the approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturdy Oaks View Post
The shooter is capable of hitting a 1" bull over and over and over again at distances out to 1000 yards. The only miss is the one you don't fire.
It's still not an acceptable risk and the ramifications of killing someone accidentally is too great. They would never take that shot with homes in the background.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Could you really? I doubt that you have been in that position to make that judgment. It is totally different to say you could do such a thing and actually doing it. If you have done son, you by your own standards have declared yourself to be guilty of murder. How about it?
Military trained. More than well enough to kill someone without having to think about it.

Also how ever well enough trained I think I could sort out the twelve year olds before firing...

The reached for his waist band thing is an automatic. You expect the cop to testify "I offed him just for the joy of it?"

Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I agree with that. The way the cops pulled up to him it forced a kid to quickly make a rational decision. It seems like pulling up on the street and getting behind the car and then addressing the suspect would have been the thing to do. I do not know what training or procedures are usually followed in these cases.

Once that kid reached for the gun the cops had no other choice IMO. The mistake was made in the approach.
Can you imagine if they'd gone up to the wrong person?

I'm picturing me in a park and a cop car speeding out of nowhere to within a few feet of me. I can easily see myself making a startled movement and getting shot for it because in a cop's mind at that split second I'm a dangerous person making a threatening movement.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta_0.001 View Post
Because he could have run away and shoot random people?

Keep in mind, we know now for a fact that the gun was a toy, the cops didn't have this knowledge then, they did the best they could do to eliminate the threat to the public.
Why not just run him over with the car?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:51 PM

74 posts, read 67,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
It's still not an acceptable risk and the ramifications of killing someone accidentally is too great. They would never take that shot with homes in the background.
Sure they would.....40 yards to the "outhouse" is an easy shot. The perp is lucky they don't shoot his left front tooth out, let alone be well within their effective range to put that bullet wherever it needs to go.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
The parents allowed this they did not have a problem with it
They don't have a problem with this either
http://q13fox.com/2014/08/16/state-o...o-sets-curfew/
The trick is to stop saying
Please somebody stop me

Old 11-27-2014, 01:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
There is much more to get behind here than in the Michael Brown case (rookie cop and the shoot first ask questions never attitude). There was much more behind the Fruitvale BART case too, or that video that's making the rounds showing the police officer shooting the guy at a gas station with him asking the whole time "what am I doing?" and "why did you shoot me?". In fact, there are many incidents that have more to get behind than the Michael Brown case. I don't know why or how we pick "celebrity" cases but there needs to be a better vetting system.

It's a combo of expected violence and danger (a real concern) in certain areas, jaded and/or inexperienced police officers, and overzealous officers of all sorts who seem to think overkill in one instance makes up for the fact that so many other instances happen and there is nothing they can do about it. It's not always a race issue either, remember those guys who stormed the vehicle of 3 college girls buying water at a convenience store? No race excuses there....just people trying to make a name for themselves while staying away from any actual danger. It really does happen to people of all races, but the microscope in this country is on blacks because it's headline grabbing and feeds into our discriminatory nature.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why not just run him over with the car?
Because there are law enforcement protocols.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is much more to get behind here than in the Michael Brown case (rookie cop and the shoot first ask questions never attitude). There was much more behind the Fruitvale BART case too, or that video that's making the rounds showing the police officer shooting the guy at a gas station with him asking the whole time "what am I doing?" and "why did you shoot me?". In fact, there are many incidents that have more to get behind than the Michael Brown case. I don't know why or how we pick "celebrity" cases but there needs to be a better vetting system.

It's a combo of expected violence and danger (a real concern) in certain areas, jaded and/or inexperienced police officers, and overzealous officers of all sorts who seem to think overkill in one instance makes up for the fact that so many other instances happen and there is nothing they can do about it. It's not always a race issue either, remember those guys who stormed the vehicle of 3 college girls buying water at a convenience store? No race excuses there....just people trying to make a name for themselves while staying away from any actual danger. It really does happen to people of all races, but the microscope in this country is on blacks.
I don't get this Ferguson thing. It seems clear to me that was a good shoot.

This police shooting is worse, as was the black guy with a BB gun shot in a Walmart in Ohio, and the guy at the gas station, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies