Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 03:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,491,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Maybe he should introduce a law requiring that no one point a toy gun, BB Gun, or airsoft at cops?
Growing up we never had toy guns with brightly covered tips. Then again we didn't need them. We were smart enough, not to point guns at cops. The cops were also people who knew us on a first name basis, so that even if we did, he wouldn't have felt threatened.
Sigh. Does no one watch the videos of said topic? How hard is it to watch a video so one actually knows what they're talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 03:14 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,558,377 times
I'm sure they watched the video but they just don't care. Defend the police at all costs no matter how tragic and unnecessary it was.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:19 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,491,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I'm sure they watched the video but they just don't care. Defend the police at all costs no matter how tragic and unnecessary it was.
It's ridiculous & just makes one look foolish. I like cops, I respect them, I take it case by case on which side I take & this one is just plain wrong. They pulled up, got out & shot that kid immediately. Just like what happened to that guy in Wal-Mart talking on the phone & carrying around that BB gun or whatever type it was. Police pulled up, ran in & shot him immediately. It doesn't take a genius to understand this is wrong.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,824,213 times
"The Cleveland police officer who shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice last month resigned from his previous small-town police job after less than five months when he was deemed emotionally unstable and unfit for duty — especially in his handling of firearms — according to personnel records released Wednesday."

Officer Who Killed Tamir Rice Found Unfit in Previous Police Job - NBC News

Old 12-03-2014, 10:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,731,308 times
Oh My...Wow.

So the guy they sent to a call of a person with a gun had previously been found unsuited to dealing with deadly force.

perhaps we should run back through this thread and see who thought it was a good shoot.

Wow! How the hell could that have happened?

Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,558,377 times
That's typical I guess. Released from one police department and picked up by another.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 PM

28,575 posts, read 18,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
That's typical I guess. Released from one police department and picked up by another.
It can happen that way. He resigned before they could fire him, which means the factors that would have resulted in his being fired never became part of the last record that would be revealed to future employers.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
No outrage over this as I'm figuring that it's a the same color on both sides.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

CLEVELAND – The family of a 12-year-old boy fatally wounded by a Cleveland police officer said surveillance video of the shooting shows that if the officer had not acted so quickly the youngster would still be alive.

The video made public on Wednesday shows Tamir Rice being shot within 1½ to 2 seconds of a patrol car stopping near him at a park in Cleveland on Saturday. It shows the boy reaching in his waistband for what police discovered was a pellet gun that shoots non-lethal plastic projectiles. He died the next day.

Family of Cleveland boy killed in fake gun tragedy says shooting could have been avoided | Fox News
I agree but it could have been avoided many ways to include the looks of the toy gun itself or the boy not carrying the gun I saw or not reaching for it. I have to wander why the kid reached for the pellet gun. I won't have at his age and just got stopped and had to answer why I had it and hope no one had been shooting out car windows and such in neighborhood. My parents would have taken care of rest when told I had it wandering neighborhood. Tragedy is what it is. The most shocking I have heard was one in nearby town where a ten year old shot a school bus driver in head on way to school. The reason he gave was he was going to shoot himself and wanted to see if it hurt first. Ten year old!

Last edited by texdav; 12-03-2014 at 11:14 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,824,213 times
"According to a memo sent by Deputy Chief Jim Polak of the Independence Police Department to the city’s human resources manager, Loehmann was visibly “distracted and weepy” during a gun range training course, and could not follow simple directions or communicate clearly.

“His handgun performance was dismal,” read the memo, which called the incident a “dangerous loss of composure.” The training officer took Loehmann’s weapons away and drove with him to pick up some of his other gear, but the officer continued to have an “emotional meltdown,” crying at times as he described relationship problems with his girlfriend to his training sergeant."

“I do not believe time, nor training, will be able to change or correct these deficiencies."

Cleveland officer who killed Tamir Rice had been deemed unfit for duty - LA Times

This guy was clearly unfit to wear the uniform. His father has been a U.S. Marshal for the last 20 years and is defending his son's actions, claiming he "had no other choice" but to kill Tamir Rice.

Father of Cleveland cop who shot Tamir Rice says his son had no choice | cleveland.com

One has to wonder if he had a hand in covering up his son's dismal job performance in Independence which allowed him to get hired on the Cleveland PD.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:23 AM

77,795 posts, read 59,941,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It's ridiculous & just makes one look foolish. I like cops, I respect them, I take it case by case on which side I take & this one is just plain wrong. They pulled up, got out & shot that kid immediately. Just like what happened to that guy in Wal-Mart talking on the phone & carrying around that BB gun or whatever type it was. Police pulled up, ran in & shot him immediately. It doesn't take a genius to understand this is wrong.
Actually, those two cases were entirely different in terms of what the 911 caller told the police.

In the Walmart case, I feel the CALLER should have been charged with a crime for his incorrect description of what the guy was doing.

In the Tamir case, the caller was saying the gun is probably fake and that info didn't get passed along to cops.

I think some people are viewing the Tamir case from 20,000 feet where they have all the facts and not from the pov of the guys responding at the time that are being told by dispatch a completely skewed narrative.

I don't think some of the posters here realize how serious urban metros take ANY gun call.

Man Arrested For Allegedly Shooting Realistic Toy Gun With Kids « CBS New York

It also gets you expelled from school after the fact, for having brought a toy gun to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies