Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I don't watch The View but heard on talk radio that Joy Behar was questioning whether the phrase "Black Friday" should be changed because it could be offensive to blacks.

Is this really true? Is she that stupid? Does she even know what 'black' means in financial terms?
The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving.[6][7] Use of the term started before 1961 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation was made: that retailers traditionally operated at a financial loss ("in the red") from January through November, and "Black Friday" indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or "in the black".[6][8]

Black Friday (shopping) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I was waiting for some asshat like Ms Behar to scream racism over "Black" Friday. Sheesh!

I'd def prefer to be in the "black" than the "red" talking about bills and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 02:14 PM

779 posts, read 632,548 times
That was 5 years ago and it was due to her ignorance about being in the black as a negative and many terms using black being negative. Her ignorance was showing and she was corrected.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
That was 5 years ago and it was due to her ignorance about being in the black as a negative and many terms using black being negative. Her ignorance was showing and she was corrected.
The word "black" can have good AND bad meanings: a "black tie dinner" is def something very fancy. A black car, especially a big 1, is also considered "high class" and NOT just by hood rats, many people with major money of ANY skin color like their black cars and trucks.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The word "black" can have good AND bad meanings: a "black tie dinner" is def something very fancy. A black car, especially a big 1, is also considered "high class" and NOT just by hood rats, many people with major money of ANY skin color like their black cars and trucks.

I am one of them well not a hood rat, but one who loves black cars. No matter how many cars we own, there has to be at least a black one in the mix. And we own 7 car-trucks.

And nothing better, then detailing the car, and seeing it shine. We love to detail our own cars.

I do not believe certain words have a bad intent, unless people give them a bad intent.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:51 PM

779 posts, read 632,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

I know. It would have made sense if she was saying out as a joke like Whoopis comments prior to Joy's. Poor ignorant little Joy.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:45 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
So, what about a "black hole"?

Quote:
Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield, who is white, said it seemed that central collections “has become a black hole” because paperwork reportedly has become lost in the office.

Commissioner John Wiley Price, who is black, interrupted him with a loud “Excuse me!” He then corrected his colleague, saying the office has become a “white hole.”

That prompted Judge Thomas Jones, who is black, to demand an apology from Mayfield for his racially insensitive analogy.
uhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...turns-ra.html/

Old 11-27-2014, 03:47 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I don't watch The View but heard on talk radio that Joy Behar was questioning whether the phrase "Black Friday" should be changed because it could be offensive to blacks.

Is this really true? Is she that stupid? Does she even know what 'black' means in financial terms?
Yes,

Old 11-27-2014, 05:10 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Yes,
I have thought everyone of them who are currently on or have ever been on that show are pretty stupid(that includes that old dried up windbag Walters as well)..the dumbest of the dumb went to work for FOX "news" though..maybe Joy can go to MSNBC?

Old 11-27-2014, 05:12 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I guess Oreos are ok because there are two dark to one white unless the center position is considered the priviledged one.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Joy Behar is a moron. The View is a moronic show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies