Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Group of People Who Have Had It Worst Are The...
American Indians 32 31.37%
Jews 37 36.27%
Chinese 4 3.92%
Japanese 1 0.98%
Vietnamese 0 0%
Irish 5 4.90%
Black Africans 11 10.78%
African-Americans 12 11.76%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

IMO; opinion Jews. long before WWII also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:51 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
IMO; opinion Jews. long before WWII also.

I'm not a Jew, but I agree completely. I simply can't understand why they are so hated.

It's exponential bigotry on display, and the people who perpetuate their hatred seem oblivious to it.

...I might add that the other day a black man walking with his girl (wife?) in the grocery store said "get the fu*k outta the way white boy" when I kneeled down to grab a cold remedy.

Yes, sh}t happens (shrug)

I moved out of the way... after grabbing my Cold+

Old 11-29-2014, 07:55 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
American Indians or Jews - both had at least one semi-successful organized attempt to annilate them from the Earth.

But.... Whether or not your group is the most tortured is immaterial if you are currently being tortured.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:14 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
ALL OF THEM!

I chose Jews because no other ethnic group has ever gone through the ethnic cleansing (such a tame phrase) that Hitler put the Jews through.

C'mon, how can anyone say 6 million killed in just a decade isn;t the worst in history?

Anyone who disagrees, please cite another ethnic group who suffered the same percentage.

Keep in mind that Hitler wiped out more than half the Jews. There is no comparison that I know of.
It is important to note, however, that these epidemics were just some of the causes of population decline during European contact. Intermarriage, slavery, wars, massacres, political disruption, economic changes, malnutrition, destruction of traditional subsistence patterns, and alcoholism also changed the composition of many Native American groups, whether they favored the changes or fought them. Eventually, these changes caused substantial depopulation and cultural change. This Native American depopulation occurred during the contact period, causing the Native American population size to decline from 1-18 million before European contact (c. AD 1500) to an estimated 530,000 by 1900.
Native Americans and The Smallpox Epidemic

So, there was a minimum of a 50% population decline of the American Indians between European contact and 1900 AD. Although, if there were 18 million of them originally rather than 1 million, the population loss will have been considerably greater.

What do you got for the Jews?

(Regardless of who wins this contest, I highly doubt the losers will be jealous).

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-30-2014 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 11-29-2014, 08:53 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
American Indians or Jews - both had at least one semi-successful organized attempt to annilate them from the Earth.

But.... Whether or not your group is the most tortured is immaterial if you are currently being tortured.
Good response.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 PM

29,530 posts, read 19,620,154 times
While other groups have gone through genocide, no other group of people were singled out and massacred in such a mechanized and efficient way, in such a short time (we are talking about 6 years) as were the European Jews were at the hands of the Nazis.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:12 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Can I ask why this matters? Unless there's some form of agenda here where we can justify 'well X had it worse so you aren't allowed to complain' there seems to be no constructive reason for this topic. Many groups endure hardship, some worse than others and some longer than others. The 1930 and 40 were torturous for the Jews, but they seem to be doing fine now, at least in the Western World. Obviously Jews are being attacked in the Middle East, but if you look (not closely, just look with an objective eye) you'll notice no group is especially well off in that region.

My point is, Jews had it bad, but what does that mean now? The past is unchangeable. What benefit comes from arguing what group had it worse? We should look at hardship, understand if it's preventable, and stop allowing it from happening in the future. Had that been done just one time in history, the Holocaust would have been avoided entirely but no one sits down to do it. We'd rather bicker about who had it worse, as if that matters. None of you gain from winning an argument about that, so why argue? Even if that matter is resolved, no good comes of it.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
It is important to note, however, that these epidemics were just some of the causes of population decline during European contact. Intermarriage, slavery, wars, massacres, political disruption, economic changes, malnutrition, destruction of traditional subsistence patterns, and alcoholism also changed the composition of many Native American groups, whether they favored the changes or fought them. Eventually, these changes caused substantial depopulation and cultural change. This Native American depopulation occurred during the contact period, causing the Native American population size to decline from 1-18 million before European contact (c. AD 1500) to an estimated 530,000 by 1900.
Native Americans and The Smallpox Epidemic

So, there was a minimum of a 50% population decline of the American Indians between European contact and 1900 AD. Although, if there were 18 million of them originally rather than 1 million, the population loss will have been considerably greater.

What do you got for the Jews?

(Regardless of who wins this contest, I highly doubt the losers will be jealous).
For good reason...I've NEVER said anything anti Jewish in my life.

As for the too of your post, you're spot on.

The Jews are just one of many groups that have faced persecution over the millennia...and they themselves say in their own religious books that they eliminated a myriad of other tribes. That's just part of human history. I don't think they were persecuted anymore than most other targeted groups in proportion to their numbers.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-30-2014 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 11-29-2014, 09:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Swedish people for sure. We have had it really hard.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:52 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
In America....Native Americans. I don't want to down play the horrors of slavery, but the Native Americans were treated a lot worse. There was a genocide on Native Americans.

Internationally....the Jews. Nothing comes close to the awfulness as the Holocaust except for the treatment of native peoples in the Americas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies