Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:30 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Pontiac has a mix of races.

Many blacks live there.

If the man said he was cold I have to believe that.

However, it was really not very cold that day in Michigan.

He will need gloves.......it is going to get much colder.

BTW......how do you know a black person did not make the call????
So are you saying that someone HAS to justify walking with hands in pockets? That it is only passably allowable if the temperature is below some arbitrary point? Not okay if it's above 32 degrees? Ridiculous!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:04 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
So what? No matter what a black person gets stopped for, if he/she happens to be black, then it's supposedly because of racism. This argument is so freaking old. Let's come up with something different, for once. And BTW, I still don't understand why black Americans are called African American Whites are almost always called white, not European American.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So whose job was it to say that it was "unfounded"? Why did it get all the way to the level of the cop? That tells me no one wanted to tell the caller to cool it and that nobody was in the wrong by walking with hands in pockets. That would have educated the caller - instead they were placated and encouraged in more stupid demands in the future.
But, what if something was up???

What if he had a gun....and was going to rob someone???

What if he had been watching some little children.....and it was a sexual thing???

It is not ever the 911 operator's call......they just dispatch.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So are you saying that someone HAS to justify walking with hands in pockets? That it is only passably allowable if the temperature is below some arbitrary point? Not okay if it's above 32 degrees? Ridiculous!
Now you can say "ridiculous" because you know the whole story.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:22 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Another inflammatory thread with twisted facts is just what we need. NOT.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Hi!

I am white, and was stopped by cops while walking to work. They asked for my ID and asked where I was going, I stated I was going to work and told them where I worked. They said thank you and we all went on our way.

I guess the crime I committed was "walking while white".

As I stated in another thread, some blacks (and their self appointed reps) seem to think this only happens to them, what a sheltered world they live in.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
“Well, you were making people nervous,” the officer explained as he took out his own cellphone and began filming the encounter.

“By walking by?” McKean asked.

“Yeah they said you had your hands in your pockets,” the officer replied.

“Wow,” McKean said. “Walking by, having your hands in your pockets makes people nervous and call the police when it’s snowing outside?” to which the officer admits, “It is.”

African-American man stopped by Michigan cop for walking with his hands in his pockets
You might want to state all of the facts, like someone called the police to report. It is not like the police were just driving along and decided to stop the guy.

But omitting facts is just part of your game, facts get in the way of your ideological views, so you will jsut ignore them.

What, you expect cops should just ignore calls now?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So what? No matter what a black person gets stopped for, if he/she happens to be black, then it's supposedly because of racism. This argument is so freaking old. Let's come up with something different, for once. And BTW, I still don't understand why black Americans are called African American Whites are almost always called white, not European American.
Most of my black friends despise the term African American. I have no idea who advocated for that divisive and stupid label. If you study evolution, we all came from Africa anyway.

As to the OP, this is a great example of people relating to each other with mutual respect. The guy was pissed, and rightly so because he WAS being profiled by the caller for being black.

The officer asked questions, de-escalated the situation, and potentially made a friend rather than an enemy for law enforcement. We need more cops like him!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
“Well, you were making people nervous,” the officer explained as he took out his own cellphone and began filming the encounter.

“By walking by?” McKean asked.

“Yeah they said you had your hands in your pockets,” the officer replied.

“Wow,” McKean said. “Walking by, having your hands in your pockets makes people nervous and call the police when it’s snowing outside?” to which the officer admits, “It is.”

African-American man stopped by Michigan cop for walking with his hands in his pockets

I thank God that I was not born a black male, because the insane fear is just too much.

As a black woman all they can accuse me of is being a crack ***** prostitute on welfare with 10 trick babies and many of those kids are probably future criminals in training. I'll never have to worry about white women grabbing their purses when I walk by or looking "suspicious".

Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Most of my black friends despise the term African American. I have no idea who advocated for that divisive and stupid label. If you study evolution, we all came from Africa anyway.
I always describe myself as "black" and only black.

Quote:
The officer asked questions, de-escalated the situation, and potentially made a friend rather than an enemy for law enforcement. We need more cops like him!
That's cause the cop had common sense and knew EXACTLY what it was when he got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies