Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

Sure, ok. But it did happen. I'll swear on a Bible, or a Quoran, or The Fountainhead, or whatever.

To be clear, I have no idea who the weirdos were. They may have been Westboro folks, or just freaks, but we saw them.

It was a strange experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Dunno about common - there's not very many of them after all - but they are active. Usually they show up in response to some event, but keep in mind, they're nuts, so who knows what set off the demonstration you saw.

I've had the experience of seeing them myself, picketing a state courthouse in response to a recent decision they didn't like.

From the pictures I've seen, and the one demonstration I saw, it seems that usually at least one of them will be carrying a sign "westboro baptist church". Maybe it was them, or maybe a copycat group? Who knows?

They're awful, but it has to be admitted that they have contributed to the swing in public opinion toward gay rights. Their picketing of military funerals made a lot of people decide that they were for whatever the westboro church was against!

I would guess it is a copycat group. I have a hard time seeing Westboro folks coming all the way out to Arizona to stand by the road. Come to think of it, it was a very nice day....

Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You've never heard of Westboro? Really? They're pretty infamous.
Thats not what I said..

Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Tactically speaking, why hold signs up of any kind in rural places? The purpose of signs is to get people to see them. It's like why rural America will never be attacked by terrorists. Not enough people. No media.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:12 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not what I said..
Why would you automatically think it's left wingers & not that Westboro group or others copying them? I have to assume you've never heard of them if you automatically go to "No, it was a group of left wingers". I realize some people feel the need to interject partisan jabs into every single topic but sometimes it's best to just stay on topic.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:13 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Could have been some local loons. There are nut jobs in Arizona too. Hopefully they were just transient wackos and are on their way to some out of state nuthouse.

Anyway, giving them any attention just gives them more and more resolve. Ignoring them is the only way to go.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 AM

265 posts, read 402,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Ah, actual peaceful protesters. Unlike the Ferguson protestors, Westburo's message is based on Biblical truths and selfless messages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Westboro is right.

God is angry with the wicked every day.

Apparently some of the Phelps clan are members here.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Tactically speaking, why hold signs up of any kind in rural places? The purpose of signs is to get people to see them. It's like why rural America will never be attacked by terrorists. Not enough people. No media.
They're nuts. You'd have to ask the demonstrators why doing what they're doing makes sense.

Their main purpose, after all, may be just to maintain their nonprofit status. From that point of view, it really doesn't matter where they wave their signs around. Or it may be that they were worried god was going to smite any minute, and they were holding signs to make sure that the smite avoided them.

Even in rural areas, a freeway ramp can see a lot of traffic, especially on a weekend.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Ah, actual peaceful protesters. Unlike the Ferguson protestors, Westburo's message is based on Biblical truths and selfless messages.
....and ostracizing their own flesh and blood for not joining in.

....and protesting at the funerals of those that had nothing to do with public policy or gay rights etc. at the time of their greatest grief.

It would be like if Jesus, instead of turning on the money changers at the temple....instead went to the family of a local fisherman who'd drowned that day and danced around mocking them they he was going to hell because of the moneylenders while they stood there crying.

Good luck explaining your actions when you pass.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:04 AM

389 posts, read 616,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Apparently some of the Phelps clan are members here.
I'm not in Westburo, but support their Biblical message God hates figs. Now if the church could just correct their spelling mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies