Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 04:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,935,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You don't know your history. It WAS a free market until *insurance companies* stepped in to "cut costs" in the second half of the 20th century.

Yeah, our privatizing health care was a stupid idea w no foresight. A Republicans idea.

Read a book sometimes.
Oh brother...

Insurance stepped in to cut risks, not costs..

What stupid book did you read to give you the impression it was to cut costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,189,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You not only did say that, but you just said it again..

Screw everyone else cause you got yours.. GREED...

Isn't this the same as a farmer getting a subsidy?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:47 AM

77,015 posts, read 47,410,884 times
Quote:
If premiums were all that mattered, then we should have a nation full of "junk" policies just so ACA could be called a success from the left wing kooks.

As it is, you forgot about the bold part
Nope, I read the whole thing. So, I take it you are with them demanding single payer system?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 AM

16,756 posts, read 8,149,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nope, I read the whole thing. So, I take it you are with them demanding single payer system?
Wow thats a low blow

Old 12-03-2014, 09:37 AM

18,789 posts, read 8,392,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
It seems I am being attacked here for being on medicaid. It is the law that I have to have health insurance so I have no choice. I am not happy with other people's health insurance going up so that they can pay for mine. I only posted in this thread to correct the thread title "God help the middle and lower classes" to show that for some people, the ACA is beneficial. I don't write the laws, but if I did, I'd implement a single payer system like they have in other countries.
Glad I could help you.

Stay well!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:41 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,234,866 times
Quote:
Oh brother...

Insurance stepped in to cut risks, not costs..

What stupid book did you read to give you the impression it was to cut costs?

"Health Against Wealth." I highly recommend it.

I actually worked directly with one of the "key denying doctors" at "Merit" which is now "Magellan Health Services." (Stock ticker MGLN). Very nice and personable guy overall. Served the purpose of the company very well. ..

And yes, they attempted to "cut the risk of high costs." What else would they be "cutting risk" of?? It's not as though patient outcomes improved after insurance companies stepped in. How/why do you think these policies were sold to EMPLOYERS?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:03 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,705,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I Just Saw the Obamacare Health Insurance Premium Estimates … God Help the Middle and Lower Classes!

Between this and the escalating student loan situation, which is still manageable but growing more monstrous with each passing semester, it is as if the Federal government is doing everything within its power, intentional or not, to destroy the middle class.

Obamacare Health Insurance Premiums Unaffordable
There are some things in the article that are simply not true. We have friends who just got their premiums and new insurance and were quoted the subsidized amount up front. In other words, they do not have to pay the larger amount and then get reimbursed at the end of the year. I am beginning to think that the right wing spin is as deceitful as the left.......Besides, $500 a month is not a huge amount to pay for a family plan. But then most families have to have two brand new cars, the biggest house on the block and all the toys and gadgets on the planet for the children.....But damn those out of pocket costs...ours is $12,000 a year.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I dont even know where to begin.

No the Canadian healthcare system is not perfect. Its just as good as ours though, and at half the price.

And guess what? If you want better or more....you can simply buy it! GASP! Look at it this way, a system like Canadas would provide a minimum level of care thats reasonable to everyone.
You are simply wrong about being half the cost. They pay dearly in Canada and tax the life out of everything, from wine....ours at $8 a bottle is $24. We have friends who bottle their own wine.
Their system has pre existing conditions and our friend's husband just passed away from a relatively simple thing to diagnose. He went into the hospital for tests...they discovered pancreitis, he died. If he had not died, the insurance company said that it was pre existing due to them taking a scan for crying out loud. If he had lived, the cost was over $300,000. She would have been bankrupt. You don't know everything.

We had a minimum level of care before...called Medicaid, Medical. We could have beefed up those programs for far less and provided some care for the uninsured.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
If premiums were all that mattered, then we should have a nation full of "junk" policies just so ACA could be called a success from the left wing kooks.

As it is, you forgot about the bold part

The so-called “cheapest” plan we could get is $5,028 per annum in premiums for the two of us with a $12,600 deductible, no co-pays of any kind, no prescription drug benefits, nothing.
The so-called “best” plan is quoted at a jaw-dropping $10,560 per annum in premiums, with a $3,000 deductible!

Typical finn, only compute part of the equasion and pretend its the full picture. Must be sad to be a liberal in todays environment with everything failing..
Painful when you have a mortgage. Our insurance was $1,100 last year and we endured the pain. But, we have no mortgage to worry about. It was like having a mortgage however lol. $800 a month seems like a gift. But people are getting subsidies without having to wait the year......The question is how long will those last? The other question is....how is the quality of care now when you need it?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
It seems I am being attacked here for being on medicaid. It is the law that I have to have health insurance so I have no choice. I am not happy with other people's health insurance going up so that they can pay for mine. I only posted in this thread to correct the thread title "God help the middle and lower classes" to show that for some people, the ACA is beneficial. I don't write the laws, but if I did, I'd implement a single payer system like they have in other countries.
Have you used the system yet? I wonder if there are enough doctors to go around now. I think that people who do receive Medicaid and Medical, should pay a portion of their income for the policy. That is how a single payer system would work...we all pay something. Do you know much about the other countries who have single payer? Do you just assume it is all roses? They all pay, through higher food costs, fuel costs, property/rent taxes etc. The cost of living is driven upwards the more we help. I am not blasting you for taking the Medicaid. Some people had no choice at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies