Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Since Obama has taken office, would you say racial tensions have:
Improved 3 2.83%
Stayed about the same 23 21.70%
Gotten Worse 80 75.47%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM

72,967 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Yes but how many of those "regular blacks" (as you call them) actually call out the behavior of those underclass thugs?
More than you think. Many just don't take it publicly. I was sitting in church as a teenager. The pastor, who was Black, basically had this to say to the teenage boys during a sermon. "Comb your hair, pull your pants up, tuck your shirt in, and BE somebody". He called out stupid behavior, but he didn't go public with it. He kept it to the church pulpit and spoke specifically to the teenagers in attendance. I remember one assistant pastor basically tried to discouraged some of the Black teenagers from watching BET. There are Black people trying to set others right. Many just don't go public like Bill Cosby did.

I was on facebook a few weeks ago when the rioting started. There were Black people calling it out, saying the looting wasn't helping their cause.

Here is a question. When regular Black people call it out, how many of those underclass types actually listen or stop doing what they do?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,753,885 times
OP, I think a few notable events since Obama took office have instigated racial tensions. Also, social media is much more popular today than before Obama took office, particularly Twitter. And as a result of the prevalence of social media, people are more vocal/opinionated. So, I'm not too sure if racial tensions have gotten worse or if it's about the same, just that social media makes it seem like it's worse.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I know there are good blacks. I'm not saying all are bad.
But you often say things in terms of Blacks as a whole. I do not do that. I specifically make distinctions. For instance, Detroit. If the current Black population in Detroit was replaced by employed, educated, Black middle class residents, do you really think the murder rate would remain as high as it is now?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
OP, I think a few notable events since Obama took office have instigated racial tensions. Also, social media is much more popular today than before Obama took office, particularly Twitter. And as a result of the prevalence of social media, people are more vocal/opinionated. So, I'm not too sure if racial tensions have gotten worse or if it's about the same, just that social media makes it seem like it's worse.
The social media is the main factor. The internet in general is the main factor. People who have deep reserves of anger post things online they would not have the courage to say in public. Or, people who would say it in public try to get bad things started via the internet.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Getting a lot worse.....I actually place little blame on King Hussein's shoulders.

You see, humans are naturally racist.......it is very natural to group and identify by race. I see no problem with this natural instinct.....as long as it is kept moderate and does not fester into hatred.

My ancestors fought for resources. If you were not part of the blood of my tribe, we killed the men and f*cked the women.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The social media is the main factor. The internet in general is the main factor. People who have deep reserves of anger post things online they would not have the courage to say in public. Or, people who would say it in public try to get bad things started via the internet.
Reading some racist comments on YouTube and Yahoo certainly has changed my perspective on race relations. It's made me kinda skeptical to live anywhere that's overwhelmingly non-black.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Reading some racist comments on YouTube and Yahoo certainly has changed my perspective on race relations. It's made me kinda skeptical to live anywhere that's overwhelmingly non-black.
How do you know nothing will happen to you in predominantly Black areas?

Now, as for YouTube and Yahoo!, I've run into some nasty people on those sites. Stuff like that has made me quite depressed about the world around me.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:39 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
Quote:
I grew up in the exurban areas of Atlanta. Within a year of moving into our new house(in the late 1990s), I had been put into a storm drain by bullies, shot with a paintball gun, rocks thrown at me. All of this at the hands of White kids.

-Where you grew up and where I grew up are TWO completely different places.

You only know of the Black people that you lived with in East St. Paul. That is ALL you go on. Maybe a better question for you to ask yourself is this. How come so many underclass types moved to Minnesota as opposed to middle class Blacks who would actually productive members of society? You see, I actually have a relatively who moved to Minnesota, got married, raised a family there, and both her and her husband worked for a living. I visited them.

And it would be better if you hung around areas where middle class Blacks actually choose to live at to understand the difference, that is if you choose to understand the difference.

I've also lived in other parts of the Atlanta area, I've lived in the states of Texas, Washington, South Carolina, and Louisiana. I know the dynamic where you live is far different from where I live. Interestingly enough, in the metro Atlanta area, there are quite a few Minnesota transplants living here. I've gotten along with them quite well. I've also met people from Georgia I've gotten along with, but the majority of persons I didn't get along with were from Georgia. Judging all White people by the trashy types that living on the outskirts of Atlanta is stupid. Same goes with your judgement of Blacks based on the very worst things you saw from the underclass. I'm not talking about MSM. I'm talking about things I've seen for myself.
Three of them robbed and killed my beautiful college student cousin with much to contribute to society. They also robbed and killed a family friend while he was closing his new bookstore for the day. Sorry, I don't buy the "underclass" excuses for violence and destruction.

I never would vote for obama as it was clear what the future was going to be just by his association with troublemakers. However, if he needs help packing....

Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,250 times
Quote:
How do you know nothing will happen to you in predominantly Black areas?

Now, as for YouTube and Yahoo!, I've run into some nasty people on those sites. Stuff like that has made me quite depressed about the world around me.
Apart from hearing them talk about "the white man" 24/7, it's not as annoying as a bunch of others with their racial tirades and talking about their racial superiority.

It certainly beats annoying racial harassment.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:53 AM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It seems to be improving, but also seems to go in waves. Everytime we seem to be moving forward, we end up taking a big step back. Not really something I would blame the president for seeing racism had been alive and well in this country long before he was born.

He ran on healing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.