Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times

Advertisements

We all know politicians love their tax revenue. But is it worth risking killing someone over a few bucks?

Eric Garner and the criminalization of everyday life | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 12-09-2014, 06:25 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,263,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
There was no need for him to be arrested at that particular point in time. He was arrested in the past, and had a future court date regarding selling illegal cigarettes, but that is not even why the cops were even there in the first place. You don't hear the cops telling him he was under arrest or telling him to put his hands behind his back, the cop just jumps on his back and chokes him until he dies.

Even if you believe he was resisting arrest, there are plenty of things you can do without putting him into a chokehold (banned by the NYPD) to arrest him. Not to mention as far as the Grand Jury is concerned, the fact DA Donovan didn't even make Reckless Endangerment an option for the GJ is absolutely insane.
How would you feel if you were the store owner that complained about the cigarettes being illegally sold in front of their store???

They try to arrest him........then tell you they can't.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How would you feel if you were the store owner that complained about the cigarettes being illegally sold in front of their store???

They try to arrest him........then tell you they can't.
Stores "illegally" sell singles also. This is what happens when the government gets greedy and their ownly concern is confiscating as much from others as possible.

They should have told them they will ask him to leave but they can't arrest someone over such a minor offense. If a guy only has .50 cents he isn't going to buy a pack for $14 off the store owner anyway.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,164,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
and ya gotta read, how many innocent, men, women, and children are killed by criminals of color, including police. Works both ways, however, some people are just way to void to be able to see both sides....
and there are two sides....regardless.....

Old 12-09-2014, 06:55 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,164,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
If it was me and 5 other cops it wouldn't be that hard to hand cuff one man. The way the cops went about it, having only one officer attempt to do the arrest was beyond stupid. You don't need police training of any kind to know that 5 or 6 average guys is stronger that ONE big guy.

The second bolded statement, maybe so. But resisting arrest isn't what actually killed him. What actually killed him was the choke hold and the pressure put on him by the other cops when he was on the ground. The other cops made the choice to treat him like that which is the issue. The cops need to be held responsible for THEIR actions. The fact that Eric Garner was resisting arrest does not give the cops a free pass to do anything they wanted and be immune from criminal charges if they chose to do something incredibly stupid.
oh yeah, everyone is an expert on police procedures and how to do this and I woulda coulda shoulda....
Give me a freakin break!
Maybe if Eric hadn't been out there to begin with, selling what he knew was illegal to do in the first place, he'd still be alive....he was a continuous repeated offender....he was taunting police by going right back out there and selling, instead of getting a real job. He knew it was illegal....he'd been arrested OVER 30 times. for God's sake people wake up! I find it very sad, that you don't get over yourselves and just stop the bull....and start obeying laws...period.

some jerk, in the town where I grew up....was walking down the main street and all over town this past summer with a rifle....out in clear sight....and I mean he was a jerk....so, what happens, people see him and of course call the cops....he has some friend of his taping it the whole thing...and he was surrounded by cop cars....and when a cop gets out of the car, the jerk, says, "Just using my rights officer".

Now imagine...your a cop, you get a calls that someone is walking down Broad street with a high powered rifle?
No one got hurt, but you don't know if the guys nuts or what? If he's a cop hater and going to start taking people out?
But, hey, all you guys have all the answers on how you would respond...give me a break.....

Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
oh yeah, everyone is an expert on police procedures and how to do this and I woulda coulda shoulda....
Give me a freakin break!
Police procedure was supposedly written by experts, no? That procedure said "no chokeholds". If the police do not have to follow their own rules and regulations why have them?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 AM

17,131 posts, read 14,439,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Quite the opposite. When there is a public official involved there should be a commission set up comprising of law enforcement and various citizens to determine the correct path to take.
You realize that there was a 23 person grand jury in the Garner case right?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That can only rule on what is presented to them. This group could also decide what charges if any will be presented to the grand jury.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,482,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
So what. It's not like the gj goes through the law books and decides if the cop broke any of the laws.

For prosecutors presenting cases to grand juries, nearly every target except cops are ham sandwiches.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,482,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Give me a freakin break!

But, hey, all you guys have all the answers on how you would respond...give me a break.....
Sorry to tell you this, but your son isn't a brain surgeon, where it's nearly impossible for a civvie to second guess specific actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies