Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 05:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's a non sequitur. If the perpetrator had complied with police orders in the first place, he wouldn't have found himself being forced to the ground.
Amazing, simply amazing. So it's O.K. for the authorities to commit illegal acts to stop other illegal acts? And let's not forget, he was doing nothing illegal.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
CNN said it was a heart attack.
Surely CNN trumps the M.E.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:38 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Was it the chokehold that killed him or did the fact he was fat and out-of-shape play into the equation?
The chokehold was the cause. His obesity and his history of asthma contributed to his inability to recover from the chokehold. Without the compromised airway he would most likely still be alive.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
When confronted by the police:

1. Stay calm
2. Obey their orders
3. Be respectful

If you are innocent then you will have a day in court. You will also be alive.
Seems that's where some social order is breaking down. Some offenders don't understand how a civil society works so they just live in violation of order. Then they wind up dead. Then others who haven't understood how that civil society works demand a jury of peers. But the peers also would be dead. Calm, but dead.

Maybe public schools should abandon the three R's and start teaching civil participation.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:41 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The cop has weapons that you don't, and has authority & power that you don't. In short, they are a superior opponent in every possible way, so follow Sun Tzu, retreat and come back when you are on equal footing...in a courtroom.

Be calm
Be obedient
Be respectful

If you're right, a judge will figure it out.
Which I agree with, and is what I do. What I resent is what you alluded to: the police and the people are opponents. It shouldn't be that way. I shouldn't have to be on the defense against someone who was arbitrarily given immense authority even though some of the dumbest and least respectable people I know have become cops. Where I'm from (which is different from the city I have on my profile), the cops do very little protecting and serving and plenty of subsidizing their own job through unnecessary traffic violations and occasional drug seizures. The community is no safer after the guy going 35 in a 25 got pulled over, or the high school kid got arrested for marijuana possession.

Course, stupid traffic tickets and drug charges are best case scenario (not to mention cops feeling above the law, an issue in every department in the country probably). Worst case scenario is SWAT raids for nonviolent crimes, continuously breaking Constitutional rights, and regular excessive use of force. And all of that is seen on a daily basis somewhere in the US.

But you had already mentioned you've apparently become disillusioned with the police force, so you're probably already aware of all this.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Goes both ways...perhaps a white cop is treated differently by the black people he comes in contact with. 20 or 25 years of solid disrespect may force you to act differently...again, it goes both ways.
I'm sure they do treat him differently. And there's a reason cops, not necessarily white cops in particular, are viewed differently in black communities. A black person who was around in the middle of the 20th century has more than enough right to distrust cops. Those feelings get passed down. Now it becomes a cyclical problem. Cops have treated blacks particularly unfairly for most of US history. Black people, in turn, have learned to distrust the cops. The cops who otherwise may not have treated black people differently have learned to distrust the blacks they come into contact with on duty because, as you said, decades of disrespect may affect your views on things. At this point both sides are perpetuating the cycle. That said, I feel it's on the police officers to end the cycle. They're the ones with the power. They're the ones who started the problem in the first place. I know it's not easy dealing with disrespect, but you know what, cops are trained to deal with it. You gotta be above that.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But you lefties are always supporting "well regulated militia" as what the 2nd amendment meant.

These jack booted thugs ARE your precious "well regulated militia".

Enjoy!
1) Grow up. I have to say that too often here, among a forum that has a huge amount of people over 40. It's pathetic. You guys aren't on teams. It's not left vs right. If you thought your team lost in 2008 and won in 2014, or vice versa, you need to get a grip.

2) I generally find liberals to be just as critical of cops, actually a lot more critical now that I think of it, as most conservatives are. Libertarians are the most critical, and I tend to agree with them on this issue.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:55 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Was it the chokehold that killed him or did the fact he was fat and out-of-shape play into the equation?
Bingo!!

If he was a Lebron James clone then I'd be a little more suspect of law enforcement. But let's be real...two flights of stairs would have done this guy in too within a week.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
1) Grow up. I have to say that too often here, among a forum that has a huge amount of people over 40. It's pathetic. You guys aren't on teams. It's not left vs right. If you thought your team lost in 2008 and won in 2014, or vice versa, you need to get a grip.

2) I generally find liberals to be just as critical of cops, actually a lot more critical now that I think of it, as most conservatives are. Libertarians are the most critical, and I tend to agree with them on this issue.
Good thing you're not generalizing.

In this case the cause of his death and the practices which led to it's use may end up in a court of law. Unlike the Michael Brown matter, this one stinks.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Bingo!!

If he was a Lebron James clone then I'd be a little more suspect of law enforcement. But let's be real...two flights of stairs would have done this guy in too within a week.
Again, the chokehold created a perfect storm in the asthmatic person. That was the cause of his death per the Medical Examiner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies