Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If their orders violate your rights you do have the choice to disobey.

A good cop will adjust and get what he or she wants a different (legal) way.

A bad cop may get physical in which case (if you can remain calm and continue to obey orders) you will STILL have a day in court and that day may end up with you getting a decent amount of money from the city.

But, overall, you are correct...however, the idea that a white person would slide is a complete myth.
Or a good cop would not attempt to circumvent your rights in the first place, in my opinion. I do realize it's company policy to use manipulation techniques in order for people to willingly abandon their rights, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

And I know white people can and do end up in trouble for sticking up for their rights. But there's no doubt cops see minorities as more of a threat than whites. A white guy might end up in the back of a squad car and be held in prison illegally for a little bit then released when they realize they have nothing on him. A black guy has a higher chance of getting a gun pulled on him than a white guy.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Eve with the death, and banned choke hold, recorded on video... a grand jury decided against an indictment in the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man, who died after white police officer Daniel Pantaleo put him in a choke hold.

There is a conflict of interest in a system where an Assistant District Attorney, who needs police co-operation every day, is responsible for directing and presenting evidence to a jury to decide if charges should be laid, or not, against a cop.

N.Y. cop not indicted in choke hold death - CNN.com
why is it necessary to mention: white cop, black man? What if it were a black cop and a white man< would it be different?

Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
I didn't support what happened in Ferguson. I believe the jury came to the proper conclusion and the violence was incalled for.

I completely disagree with the decision here and support whatever action the people feel they must take to get things like what happened here stopped. It matters none that he didn't intend to harm him. What he did was illegal and he killed a man because of it. Charges are most certainly justified here and the people have a justification for being upset.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Not surprised. And I'm sure if a grand jury is needed for 12 year old Tamir Rice's murder, the cop that killed him will get off also.
as he probably should. What is so hard to understand about not following the law? i don't care who it is or what it is... This is particularly true when there is so much tention between the police and the guy on the street.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
as he probably should. What is so hard to understand about not following the law? i don't care who it is or what it is... This is particularly true when there is so much tention between the police and the guy on the street.
I'm not comfortable with cops giving out death sentences when they don't have to be given. I'm not familiar with the case the person you responded to mentioned, but there's no doubt that the man in this video did not deserve to die, and that the cop was in the wrong.

Actually, the funny thing is you ask what's so hard about not following the law, when the cop in this case actually did break the law with his chokehold. Ironic.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
The hell is going on with grand juries. Stick me on one, please for the love of god.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:50 PM

271 posts, read 566,678 times
If Eric Garner was choked to the point of passing out (and subsequently dying), I can understand a murder (or even involuntary manslaughter) charge but he was still alive and breathing following the take down. It seems to me that his existing medical condition is contributed to his death.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't support what happened in Ferguson. I believe the jury came to the proper conclusion and the violence was incalled for.

I completely disagree with the decision here and support whatever action the people feel they must take to get things like what happened here stopped. It matters none that he didn't intend to harm him. What he did was illegal and he killed a man because of it. Charges are most certainly justified here and the people have a justification for being upset.
rioting and protesting unless peacefully is never the way to make a point. Was this decision right? I don't know: I do know he was resisting arrest, still the action seems awfully strong and no, I am not one that automatically think all cops are good guys and gals. Most yes, all no. But when you say you support rioting I have to disagree 100%. I do understand the people being upset; as much as I thought Ferguson decision was right, I understand how some felt about that, but rioting is never and I repeat never right, nor does it prove anything. If they riot lord only knows how many more of these episodes we are going to see.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Resisting arrest is resisting arrest. Citizens do not get to decide if it is lawful. They do not get to decide if their alleged crime is petty and does not matter. That is for the justice system. Anything else is anarchy. Resist arrest at personal peril.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Sounds good on paper, but it doesn't always work out that way
I've been a law enforcement officer, did the training, learned all the ways you use force, etc.

Follow the three rules listed, and yes, it will always, every single time, work out exactly like clb10 explains.

1) Stay calm.
2) Obey the order as given (to which I would add "repeat the order back so they know you heard them").
3) Be respectful.

Do all 3 and you will not be harmed beyond a sting to the pride. And if the officer is in the wrong, your lawyer can pound that out in a court of law, where you have far less risk of being shot, getting choked/injured, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies