Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 08:53 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,667,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Once again, what is wrong with a tax on mileage that can only be used on actual road costs?

Again what is wrong with a NORMAL sales tax on GAS just like a goods are taxed. Setting some crazy tax number on GAS only encourages washington to see solutions that punish gas, energy and just about all things related to the economy. GAS tax raises all other fees, you have a higher price to ship, take a plane etc. Stop building bridges in other countries that might be a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
.... we can't provide them with cheap gas.
The government is not providing anybody with cheap gas.Be honest in your assertions, you want to penalize cheap gas with higher taxes.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
We should have a floating tax that keeps the retail price of gasoline at about $3.50. That's high enough to encourage conservation and generate needed revenue. If we expect consumers to buy high mileage cars and trucks we can't provide them with cheap gas. That doesn't work.
Those that get hit the hardest with a tax like that can't afford to buy a new more efficient car.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Again what is wrong with a NORMAL sales tax on GAS just like a goods are taxed. Setting some crazy tax number on GAS only encourages washington to see solutions that punish gas, energy and just about all things related to the economy. GAS tax raises all other fees, you have a higher price to ship, take a plane etc. Stop building bridges in other countries that might be a good start.
Simple, two cars that weigh the same and produce the exact same wear on a road could be taxed completely different with the gas tax.

Who is more likely to be able to afford a new hybrid with the good gas mileage? Would it be the struggling single mother with the tight budget or a lawyer?

Generally speaking, the poor tend to drive less efficient cars while the affluent drives new higher mileage cars. A tax on mileage and not gas is more equitable in general, especially when you consider the poor.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Again what is wrong with a NORMAL sales tax on GAS

This is a road tax per gallon, it's one of the fairer taxes we have because those using the roads pay it. The more you use the road the more you pay.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is a road tax per gallon, it's one of the fairer taxes we have because those using the roads pay it. The more you use the road the more you pay.
I'm confused. Are you saying the gas tax or mileage tax is more fair?

If you are saying the gas tax is more fair because you use the road when you buy gas, I'll disagree.

When I buy gas, I pay state and federal taxes on that gas. In Texas, I can actually send in receipts for the gas I buy for my boat, generator or lawn mower, but I don't get a dime of it back from the feds. So the federal gas tax I pay on those items goes towards roads that never get used by them.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,012,151 times
It seems to me that we're doing things bass-ackwards here; deficit financing operating costs, benefits, and other ongoing and recurring expenses, while paying for roads, bridges, and other infrastructure assets that have an extended service live on a cash basis. On top of that, our budget for that transportation infrastructure is tied to a gas tax that has no mechanism for inflation and hasn't been increased in 21 years. Then we really go off the reservation and institute environmental policies, in the form of CAFE standards, which will significantly depress fuel tax receipts in the coming years on an absolute-dollar basis, much less an inflation-adjusted basis....all at a time when our infrastructure is crumbling and a surge in investment is sorely needed.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you saying the gas tax or mileage tax is more fair?
The road tax on fuel was for the most part fair in the past, certainly not perfect like the issues you outlined with the boat or on the other hand new issues like the electric vehicles paying nothing. Obviously a replacement per mileage tax based on the weight of the vehicle would be the fairest tax but how you go about collecting it is another issue. Someone in another thread suggested a tax on new tires, you'd base it on their wear rating. The big problems are a set of new tires would have to cost thousands. The value of a used tire is going to be a lot and could even be more valuable than the car they are on. Black market recaps would be a hot item and obviously tire thefts would sky rocket.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-05-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The road tax on fuel was for the most part fair in the past, certainly not perfect like the issues you outlined with the boat or on the other hand new issues like the electric vehicles paying nothing. Obviously a replacement per mileage tax based on the weight of the vehicle would be the fairest tax but how you go about collecting it is another issue. Someone in another thread suggested a tax on new tires, you'd base it on their wear rating. I'm kind of warming up to that idea, the one big problem is a set of tires would have to cost thousands.
Yes, collecting it would be a potential issue.

I was thinking too local. In Texas, we have to get an annual safety inspection, and mileage numbers could be collected during that; however, not all states have such a system.

I guess a gas tax is the most practical way to do it at this time.

We do need to revamp it some so that all the money generated goes to actual road use and that it is high enough to cover expenses.

You see, when someone points out a logical point, I will consider it and even change my stance.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I guess a gas tax is the most practical way to do it at this time.
I like the per mileage tax but collecting it using something like GPS is out of the question. The car inspection/registration is the same thing here in PA but expecting someone to shell out hundreds for a registration is problematic. If they don't pay it? When they sell or junk the car? Lot of complexity involved with it. That's why I like the tire idea but that has it's own issues too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies