Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And we're lazy? SMH. Boomers will continue to brand Milennials as lazy until the day they die.

Millennials are way more educated than their parents. They're also paid less. - Vox
No, millenials are far less educated than their parents. They have lots more school, but vastly less education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 10:54 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Colleges and universities are focused on maximizing revenue so they can pay fat salaries to professors and university administrators. Sorry millennials but you were duped. Your education was watered down political indoctrination and isn't worth squat.
Professors have PHD's and they really aren't paid that much. Do you know how many years and how much money it takes to get a PHD. I applaud anyone who is that dedicated and focused to get their PHD because it is not easy.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Professors have PHD's and they really aren't paid that much. Do you know how many years and how much money it takes to get a PHD. I applaud anyone who is that dedicated and focused to get their PHD because it is not easy.
That's the "starving college professor" meme they like to play. The reality is quite different.
Here’s what the average full-time professor made last year - The Washington Post
"Full professors at public doctoral institutions made $126,981 in salary in the 2013-2014 academic year, and instructors at those schools made $50,032."

Here's a table.
Average Salaries of Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty at 4-Year Colleges, 2013-14 - Faculty - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Is that huge? No, not compared to what some CEOs make, but compared to what PhDs make in private business, it's roughly equivalent.

Lots of PhD students are supported by various grants, TAs, etc. It's generally 5-6 years from the bachelor's to a PhD, and keep in mind the above, many are getting paid. I'm not dismissing it, I'm just saying, don't believe all the poverty stuff you hear from some of these people.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And we're lazy? SMH. Boomers will continue to brand Milennials as lazy until the day they die.

Millennials are way more educated than their parents. They're also paid less. - Vox

Just because your are "educated" does not mean you are more "smart". Employers don't pay for what you know. They pay you for what you do. Starbucks does not care that their "barista" has a PHD in Ethnic Studies and the customers are not going to give a bigger tip.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Employers don't pay for what you know. They pay you for what you do.
It kinda helps if ya know what you are doing.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It kinda helps if ya know what you are doing.

True, but those extra classes you took in "dead languages" does not benefit an employer who only wants you to "know" how to do "X". That english degree may look good hanging on your wall, but most of us learned enough english by grade 12 of high school to do any job.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
More education doesn't make you wise, it only makes you more educated. Common sense is gained through life experiences.
The biggest difference I see in Millennials and my generation is that the Millennials seem to have a sense of entitlement that mine did not and does not have. They are in fact a quicker study in my opinion. They are also much more accepting of diversity and the right for people to be unique. I like Millennials over all. I simply disagree with some of their ideas.
For example Millennials will ask "why do I have to do it?" when given a task. My generation just did it. We understood that low man gets the dirty jobs, that the senior people have already done countless times.
Millennials are in love with their cellphones. They can't bear to be separated from them. Where I work Cellphones are banned from the production floor. Camera policy... At least once a day I am confronting a Millennial for cellphone on the floor or in team meeting. Texting during a meeting is incredibly rude.
I like teaching Millennials because as I have said, they are a quick study and are actually a lot of fun to be around.

Last edited by tinman01; 12-14-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 08:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
True, but those extra classes you took in "dead languages" does not benefit an employer who only wants you to "know" how to do "X". That english degree may look good hanging on your wall, but most of us learned enough english by grade 12 of high school to do any job.
The need of education depends on what you are doing. An English degree is valuable if you are an English teacher.

A lot of people with PhDs are simply people who are not all that bright but were in circumstances they could stay in school a long time. The reason many don't make a hell of a lot.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
PackardFan"I'm not sure here but; wasn't a HS degree before WW2 about as good as a college degree in 2014? Word was finishing HS in the 1930's was a big deal and many employers would take a grad."

Absolutely. Those days, we were a nation with tens of millions of brain-dead is ok jobs. The first office I worked at had a plant where most employees lacked a high school diploma, and were above the median state income. Now we in the office also realized that was not going to last. But from the 50s when the world was still recovering from the ruins of WWII to the early 80s, it persisted, with reduced headcounts each year the last decade.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The need of education depends on what you are doing. An English degree is valuable if you are an English teacher.

A lot of people with PhDs are simply people who are not all that bright but were in circumstances they could stay in school a long time. The reason many don't make a hell of a lot.
I've never met a "not too bright" PhD. I've met some "not too bright" master's engineers and nurses, and some "not too bright" lawyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
PackardFan"I'm not sure here but; wasn't a HS degree before WW2 about as good as a college degree in 2014? Word was finishing HS in the 1930's was a big deal and many employers would take a grad."

Absolutely. Those days, we were a nation with tens of millions of brain-dead is ok jobs. The first office I worked at had a plant where most employees lacked a high school diploma, and were above the median state income. Now we in the office also realized that was not going to last. But from the 50s when the world was still recovering from the ruins of WWII to the early 80s, it persisted, with reduced headcounts each year the last decade.
I don't know about before WW II, but certainly afterward a college degree was helpful. My dad got his degree during WW II, served, then came back to work in engineering. Some of the older "engineers" he worked with did not go to college, and IIRC, one did not even graduate high school, but Dad had a BS and and MS and he was the boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies