Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Education was once linked to pay when it was selective. No longer selective and so no longer linked to pay. When anyone can have an education that dilutes the quality of the graduates. When only the best can have an education then quality is reasonable assured.
Schools are substantially more selective now than they used to be which is what happens when there are more applicants than space available.

Prior to the GI bill most of those who pursued a degree came from families with means of paying for it.
The masses were lucky if they could finish high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well, almost a Boomer but I recall the economic downturn in the early 1980s when I entered the work force. It was never a free or easy period. No stigma attached to retail then or similar jobs people look down upon now. Most young folk like me not in college worked two jobs and if you were male you did blue collar stuff like done by Mexicans nowadays. No shame then.
Good points.

No shame.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I'm a boomer and I didn't graduate high school till 1980. I think when people picture Boomer's they picture all of them growing up in an episode of Happy Days with bobby socks, poodle skirts, and Fonzie living above the garage. It was hardly that way was it?
" Happy Days" ran in the 70-80's and depicted teen life in the 50's, when the oldest boomers were in diapers.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
There are still professions which pay well and while training is needed a college degree isn't necessary. Many trades are some of the best paying jobs available but why do the youth of today look at these with disdain? Sometimes I'd trade my right arm for a great knowledgeable plumber or electrician that I could get without waiting weeks for an appointment.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They may be more institutionalized educated, however, I've found them to be serious lacking in knowledge. Even with the plethora of information available.
^^^This, and a serious lack of comprehension and application.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And we're lazy? SMH. Boomers will continue to brand Milennials as lazy until the day they die.

Millennials are way more educated than their parents. They're also paid less. - Vox

And it's onnnnnnly going to get worse as there are more and more people here now. Keep voting Democrat and you can expect to see more of them.

Some reasons it's not-so-great to be a millennial:

1) Global Economy. THAT is the biggest reason you can't get work. Quite a few decent paying jobs are no longer here. No one could have stopped that. Didya' think they wanted to live in dirt and beat on pans the rest of their time on Earth?
2) The fact that your side tends to let every Paki or whatever in that probably has a doctorate at the same university you attended and will work, for less.
3) Not sure you can categorically say everyone knew less and was educated less than your generation. There are quite a few smart folks of that time that actually could use a slide rule, knew who the 3rd President was, heck, knows who the VP is, the Secretary of State, who won the Civil War, etc....ever see the Jesse Waters piece on Fox? It wouldn't be so bad if they asked kids at Community Colleges but, they are finding some of the smartest book smart folks at the Ivy league schools who can't answer those simple questions. They have no grasp of the economy and furthermore, are oblivious to most issues facing the nation today. Amazing.
4) Work Ethic. What we may have lacked in pizazz we have more than made up for in work ethic. For the most part, we started out humble and were happy to get it. Just look at the houses we grew up in along with the "quality" of life we enjoyed. Look at the car (singular) we were ferried around in. Your generation is a bit indulgent and EXPECTS a 20-30K car upon graduation where we, were simply thrilled to have graduated and any oil burner would do. And get this, the chicks, for the most part, didn't care. Everyone didn't drive a BMW....did they? Have you seen the lifestyle of the 50's, 60's, and 70's? Really?
5) The [MOD CUT/profanity] we got away with. You are spot on there. The crap we did as kids might get you shot today. I wouldn't trade my youth for a key position at Google. It was that good. We had fun as in most cases, we MADE our fun. There were no Dave N' Busters. We didn't sit inside glued to a keyboard. The video games you have now are pretty cool. Beats Atari, I'll give you that. But, for the OTHER 23 hours out of the day, we LIVED and for many, LIVED WELL. Not materially but, through human interaction. I feel sorry for my kids not to have tasted life as a child in the 60's. It was better in some ways and not so much in others.
6) Earned more??? Not sure that's the case. My dad had a Masters in Chemical Engineering and bought used cars. We were a family of 8 and had one car more often than not until we got a bit older and THEN we had a second used car. We even had a 74 pinto as a third for a short stint. Wow, really living there.....and despite what nostalgia buffs would have you believe, the cars were poorly built by today's comparison and disposable after 5-7 years.

There's good and bad in every generation, however, once that manufacturing base left for China, the US has never been the same. All the jobs it created directly and indirectly have vanished. Anything that can be made and in most cases, supported, is now done overseas. You are right in that it was possible to make an okay living on a HS diploma. Those days are long, long gone. The BS degree IS the new High School diploma equivalent. And yet, it amazes me to see this alleged smarter generation turn out more GED's and dropouts than we ever saw in our time.

Schools were in control unlike yours. You couldn't do a fraction of the BS that you kids have done in the last 20 years. Corporal punishment was IN and believe me, it worked. You didn't dare talk back to a teacher or you would find yourself out of school, permanently, if you kept it up. And this was on 30 some odd years ago. Worst thing they ever did was take that away and let parents stop being parents. The belt works despite what the most "gifted" and misguided liberal thinks.

The kids that want to do well now have a multitude of opportunities. The ones that want to study English as a profession are doomed. It's that simple. In our day, they could be teachers. Now? Even that is a toss up. After all, those who can't? Teach.

I see your generation suffer. It's pretty sad but, things would have to drastically change here in the US for it to ever become the good ol' USA ever again. If you want to find simplicity, watch the reruns of the wonder years. It was kind of like that just 35-45 years ago. Not that long really. If I want to watch the outcome today, I'll watch 8 mile.

Until you get some creativity and learn to deal with people, it might become increasingly difficult to thrive. Survive? Sure. But, to go out and make a change and make an impact, you better bring your A game.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-05-2014 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 09:29 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
But, to go out and make a change and make an impact, you better bring your A game.
Why bring the A game anymore? I thought now we all just got a trophy for participation?

Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And we're lazy? SMH. Boomers will continue to brand Milennials as lazy until the day they die.
Quote:
And Millennials are the best-educated generation in American history. But we're not even close to being the best-paid.
"Best educated" is subjective.

"Best paid" is subjective.

Wages are based on the Supply & Demand of Labor of a specific Skill-set in a given Labor Market.

The article proves Generation Whine are uneducated, lacking intelligence, and live in fantasy world based on Subjectivity instead of Objectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I would've loved to grow up during a time where you could just finish high school and go straight to work and earn enough to start a life. They could join a union, not have to finance everything, and they got away with crap on a summer off from school that would land them in jail with a record.
Nothing fundamental has changed.

Boomers shared apartments with their brothers or sisters or both, or with friends or a co-worker, until such time as they got married, or had established themselves with a career (and that took a few years). When Boomers bought a house, they bought a 750 sq ft to 900 sq starter-home, instead of a Castle. When Boomers got equity in their home, they usually re-financed to lower the payments and then started saving for the home they really wanted.

Boomers financed everything.

Granted VISA and MasterCard weren't big in the 1950s or 1960s. That didn't matter anyway, because Boomers lived in the 5/7 World: in order to get a credit card, you had to be with the same employer for 5 years and live at the same address for 7 years, or have the same employer for 7 years and live at the same address for 5 years.

For Boomers, it was Lay-Away, or 30-days same-as-cash, or 90-days same as cash, or 6 months same as cash, and when they did finance, it was through the merchants at rates of 1%-3%.

Generation Whine is well-known for its lack of intelligence.

Which builds Wealth: Paying $3,489 for Plasma TV -- $1,700 for the TV plus $1,789 in credit card interest payments....

....or.....

....buying a smaller TV for $400 and then taking the $3,000+ you saved and buying Certificates of Deposits, continuously rolling them over, while using the interest to buy stocks/bonds?

Which builds Wealth: Putting 0% down on a $250,000 house and paying $250,000 for a McMansion, plus paying $318,000 in interest....

...or...

....Saving money to put 35% to 45% down on the $250,000 McMansion and paying only $79,956 in interest....

...and then use $238,044 saved to invest or save or both to build Wealth?

Then Generation Whines complains about not have money or Wealth. Well, gee, you freely handed it over to satisfy an infantile urge.

What's the difference between Generation Whine and Amoeba? The Amoeba are smart enough and have the self-discipline to avoid unnecessary interest payments.

Fundamentally...

Mircea

Old 12-05-2014, 10:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
And it's onnnnnnly going to get worse as there are more and more people here now. Keep voting Democrat and you can expect to see more of them.

Some reasons it's not-so-great to be a millennial:

1) Global Economy. THAT is the biggest reason you can't get work. Quite a few decent paying jobs are no longer here. No one could have stopped that. Didya' think they wanted to live in dirt and beat on pans the rest of their time on Earth?
2) The fact that your side tends to let every Paki or whatever in that probably has a doctorate at the same university you attended and will work, for less.
3) Not sure you can categorically say everyone knew less and was educated less than your generation. There are quite a few smart folks of that time that actually could use a slide rule, knew who the 3rd President was, heck, knows who the VP is, the Secretary of State, who won the Civil War, etc....ever see the Jesse Waters piece on Fox? It wouldn't be so bad if they asked kids at Community Colleges but, they are finding some of the smartest book smart folks at the Ivy league schools who can't answer those simple questions. They have no grasp of the economy and furthermore, are oblivious to most issues facing the nation today. Amazing.
4) Work Ethic. What we may have lacked in pizazz we have more than made up for in work ethic. For the most part, we started out humble and were happy to get it. Just look at the houses we grew up in along with the "quality" of life we enjoyed. Look at the car (singular) we were ferried around in. Your generation is a bit indulgent and EXPECTS a 20-30K car upon graduation where we, were simply thrilled to have graduated and any oil burner would do. And get this, the chicks, for the most part, didn't care. Everyone didn't drive a BMW....did they? Have you seen the lifestyle of the 50's, 60's, and 70's? Really?
5) The [MOD CUT/profanity] we got away with. You are spot on there. The crap we did as kids might get you shot today. I wouldn't trade my youth for a key position at Google. It was that good. We had fun as in most cases, we MADE our fun. There were no Dave N' Busters. We didn't sit inside glued to a keyboard. The video games you have now are pretty cool. Beats Atari, I'll give you that. But, for the OTHER 23 hours out of the day, we LIVED and for many, LIVED WELL. Not materially but, through human interaction. I feel sorry for my kids not to have tasted life as a child in the 60's. It was better in some ways and not so much in others.
6) Earned more??? Not sure that's the case. My dad had a Masters in Chemical Engineering and bought used cars. We were a family of 8 and had one car more often than not until we got a bit older and THEN we had a second used car. We even had a 74 pinto as a third for a short stint. Wow, really living there.....and despite what nostalgia buffs would have you believe, the cars were poorly built by today's comparison and disposable after 5-7 years.

There's good and bad in every generation, however, once that manufacturing base left for China, the US has never been the same. All the jobs it created directly and indirectly have vanished. Anything that can be made and in most cases, supported, is now done overseas. You are right in that it was possible to make an okay living on a HS diploma. Those days are long, long gone. The BS degree IS the new High School diploma equivalent. And yet, it amazes me to see this alleged smarter generation turn out more GED's and dropouts than we ever saw in our time.

Schools were in control unlike yours. You couldn't do a fraction of the BS that you kids have done in the last 20 years. Corporal punishment was IN and believe me, it worked. You didn't dare talk back to a teacher or you would find yourself out of school, permanently, if you kept it up. And this was on 30 some odd years ago. Worst thing they ever did was take that away and let parents stop being parents. The belt works despite what the most "gifted" and misguided liberal thinks.

The kids that want to do well now have a multitude of opportunities. The ones that want to study English as a profession are doomed. It's that simple. In our day, they could be teachers. Now? Even that is a toss up. After all, those who can't? Teach.

I see your generation suffer. It's pretty sad but, things would have to drastically change here in the US for it to ever become the good ol' USA ever again. If you want to find simplicity, watch the reruns of the wonder years. It was kind of like that just 35-45 years ago. Not that long really. If I want to watch the outcome today, I'll watch 8 mile.

Until you get some creativity and learn to deal with people, it might become increasingly difficult to thrive. Survive? Sure. But, to go out and make a change and make an impact, you better bring your A game.
Great post... and I did see the Waters piece. They interviewed University students that could not say who the vice president is but of course they knew who Snookie was.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-05-2014 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: edited quoted psot

Old 12-05-2014, 11:59 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Great post... and I did see the Waters piece. They interviewed University students that could not say who the vice president is but of course they knew who Snookie was.
University students may not care-they just recently started to be able to vote. Whereas Snookie is apparently some sort of media figure? Something they are more likely to be familiar with from their teen years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies