Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
This is flawed logic. There are more than enough children for everyone to be able to adopt.
My argument was following my previous post of a biological standpoint. They are not a natural family unit. It does not matter if you believe in creationism or evolution. Both groups can agree on that.

Quote:
Perhaps you mean that straight couples should get "first dibs" and homosexual couples should get the "leftovers"?
Yes, or get none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
This is an out-dated issue...IMO it isn't any different than 20 years ago when people were debating if a couple should be able to adopt a child from another race.
It seems that the youth of today are exposed more to the realities of life and not some Ozzie & Harriet ideal setting of raising children. Much like people view the laws of the past that people of different races shouldn’t marry as antiquated and ignorant, so will the future generations who will be the ones making the rules laugh at those who would rather keep children in a loveless system than allow gay people to adopt and care for a child.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:50 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy194 View Post
Well i was having a conversation with my cousins about gay marrige. I told them that gay people should be able to get married. But when it came to them being able to adopt I aint no what to say. I mean I was basically raised by my mom, no dad, i also had my aunt and grandma too. But its different when it comes to 2 parents of the same sex. I just dont really approve of it.
Who are you to approve or disapprove of it?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,879 times
two straight people who are unable to have kids are not naturally biologically child producers either.. if they were they'd be having their own kids.... if you want to bring biology into it... I'm afraid the biological standpoint is a cover for a religious standpoint.. I love how religious people curse science when it comes to creationism vs evolution, yet they're quick to use science in their arguments against gays.... give me a friggin break.. you people are sick...

Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,949 times
Default Adopt?

The real question in my opinion is not whether Gay people should be allowed to adopt(like there is something wrong with being Gay) but whether the people of the U.S. should continue to allow their government to take children away from their Gay parents. It is a sad commentary on this country.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:53 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Perhaps I'm dense but I'm really not getting this "two parents of the same sex is better than a single parent" argument. And, as a single mum who put her child entirely first and raised him well, I resent it, frankly.

My husband died when my son was 9 years old. I dated but never found anyone who would love me AND my son as he deserved so I remained single. But my son looked for male role models and, now that he's older, told me that while he was glad that I never saddled him with a problematic stepfather, he really wished he had a dad. I think this is typical -- children need what each gender has to give. Hey, I went to Boy Scout meetings with my son and enrolled him in sports and karate, went to his games, etc. But it wasn't the same.

So, how would it have been better for my son if I had been a lesbian and moved in some woman? What would that have accomplished as far as my son's needs went? Even if she was a super-butch lesbian, she would STILL not have been a man who could relate to my son and he to her.

Sorry, but I think this whole argumentation is a slap in the face of single parents who put their children at the center of their lives and I really don't see how a second person of the same gender makes a difference.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,451 times
I'm not religious.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...an-cities.html

Parents are by definition mother and father of a person or animal. Same-sex couples cannot be a substitute of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
two straight people who are unable to have kids are not naturally biologically child producers either.. if they were they'd be having their own kids.... if you want to bring biology into it... I'm afraid the biological standpoint is a cover for a religious standpoint.. I love how religious people curse science when it comes to creationism vs evolution, yet they're quick to use science in their arguments against gays.... give me a friggin break.. you people are sick...

Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy194 View Post
Well i was having a conversation with my cousins about gay marrige. I told them that gay people should be able to get married. But when it came to them being able to adopt I aint no what to say. I mean I was basically raised by my mom, no dad, i also had my aunt and grandma too. But its different when it comes to 2 parents of the same sex. I just dont really approve of it.
I have absolutely NO problems with gay people adopting. I, in fact, have several gay friends who have adopted children. They are the most loving, devoted, and caring parents. Those children are truly lucky and blessed to have people that care for them and their well-being so much.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:18 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,974 times
I wouldn't be against it provided that the foster children couldn't be placed with a married man and woman. Married men and women couples should get the first pick, provided they are fit parents. Most of the US after all does not have gay marriage or civil unions, so I think it should be considered the same as a single person adopting- do-able but not the first choice.

Some states like Florida prohibit gay adoption altogether. I don't think that's a good thing, actually.

Last edited by Magnulus; 01-05-2008 at 01:26 AM..

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,500 times
Gays that adopt often live in areas where there are other gay parents. As it becomes more common, it will become more accepted. I remember when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, hardly any of my friends' parents were divorced. It was weird to have divorced parents back then. Now 50% of the children in my city are living in single parent households. I think that living in a 2 parent household with parents of the opposite sex is the ideal. But when push comes to shove, there are many children out there waiting to be adopted and if straight people aren't adopting them, then gays should be able to. It's better than being shuffled around the foster care system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies