Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:30 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Sure. Do they have a good case here - not really.
So they accuse a fraternity of gang rape, and it turns out to be unsubstantiated. How is there not a civil case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Good. It was shoddy journalism.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:37 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
Remember when Rolling Stone used to write about music? Those were the good old days.

At least they are dispelling the myth that women never lie about rape. That's got to be sooo helpful to real victims. War on women, indeed.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So they accuse a fraternity of gang rape, and it turns out to be unsubstantiated. How is there not a civil case?
The question I responded to was can the school sue. The article stated the opinion that UVA is remiss in responding to claims of sexual misconduct by students. There are several issues there. First, you can't be liable for defamation for expressing an opinion. As such, the grounds for any suit instigated by UVA would be that the facts reported in the article about how UVA responds to sexual assault allegations are false. And not only do they have to be false, to successfully sue Rolling Stone, UVA would have to prove that Rolling Stone knew they were false when they were printed. Whether this particular gang-rape actually occurred or not would be irrelevant to a lawsuit between UVA and Rolling Stone (or the a lawsuit between UVA and "Alice" for that matter).

The fraternity (Phi Kappa Psi) has better grounds for a lawsuit than UVA, but if they wanted to sue Rolling Stone I imagine they'd have a very hard time proving Rolling Stone knew the rape in fact had not happened and yet Rolling Stone chose to go ahead and print an article they knew was false.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:47 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
It is **** like this that causes women's accusations of rape to be disbelieved. All women should be furious with Rolling Stone.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Remember when Rolling Stone used to write about music? Those were the good old days.

At least they are dispelling the myth that women never lie about rape. That's got to be sooo helpful to real victims. War on women, indeed.

that's before the liberal college "reporters" took over the magazine. They should stick to music and stay away from politics.

I stop taking Rolling Stone seriously when they endorsed only democrat presidential candidates and were negatively critical to the band Rush.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The question I responded to was can the school sue. The article stated the opinion that UVA is remiss in responding to claims of sexual misconduct by students. There are several issues there. First, you can't be liable for defamation for expressing an opinion. As such, the grounds for any suit instigated by UVA would be that the facts reported in the article about how UVA responds to sexual assault allegations are false. And not only do they have to be false, to successfully sue Rolling Stone, UVA would have to prove that Rolling Stone knew they were false when they were printed. Whether this particular gang-rape actually occurred or not would be irrelevant to a lawsuit between UVA and Rolling Stone (or the a lawsuit between UVA and "Alice" for that matter).

The fraternity (Phi Kappa Psi) has better grounds for a lawsuit than UVA, but if they wanted to sue Rolling Stone I imagine they'd have a very hard time proving Rolling Stone knew the rape in fact had not happened and yet Rolling Stone chose to go ahead and print an article they knew was false.
I think the fraternity does have a good case against Rolling Stone because the magazine readily admitted they did not question or try to interview anyone from the fraternity to fact check or substantiate/refute the claims. The magazine's excuse was they didn't want to hurt the 'victim's' feelings or some such thing. Yeah, shoddy journalism all around.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
The thing I don't understand is this liberal hatred of white males. This is really what it all comes down to and it is precisely what pushed RS over the edge to publish an unsubstantiated article. They wanted this juicy story to be SO true SO bad and that desire pushed publication.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:06 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think the fraternity does have a good case against Rolling Stone because the magazine readily admitted they did not question or try to interview anyone from the fraternity to fact check or substantiate/refute the claims. The magazine's excuse was they didn't want to hurt the 'victim's' feelings or some such thing. Yeah, shoddy journalism all around.
So every time a news outlet reports an alleged crime that turns out not to have occurred, the news outlet is liable for defamation if it didn't get the accused's side of the story?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:21 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Shoddy journalism, but was "Jackie" the only student interviewed? I remember the article mentioned several other women with harrowing tales.

And I gotta say, I have friends who went to UVA. Jackie might not have been completely truthful (and we still don't know what that means) but the experience she claimed to have sounds very much like the experiences several of my friends had around the same time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies