Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
The left eating their own. They're now making a complete mockery of actual sex assault victims.
Nevermind the brutal rape and killing of a UVA student by a serial rapist and killer. No, what were after is those pesky blond headed Abercrombie frat boys in the south (Duke and UVA). Not an actual serial rapist...he gets a pass (why?) but lets create a story where there is none.

Why is this not a bigger deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I will give credit to R.S. for at least accepting blame and saying they were sorry they erred as opposed to blaming it all on someone else.
Rolling Stone has a history of doing this. In 2005, they published an anti-immunization article written by that immunization expert, Robert F. Kennedy Jr, which they later retracted.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Just saw that. The 'victim', Jackie, caught in multiple lies. When are people going to learn? Where the hell has journalistic integrity gone in this country?
Hmmm... it is "Rolling Stone"...... and you expect journalistic integrity?

Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The magazine's excuse was they didn't want to hurt the 'victim's' feelings or some such thing.
It was reported on ABC she requested they didn't.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I will give credit to R.S. for at least accepting blame and saying they were sorry they erred as opposed to blaming it all on someone else.
Unfortunately that doesn't help much. Every single sorority and frat on campus was suspended due to this story. The frat that was identified by Rolling Stone had their house vandalized. Feminist groups held protests on campus. I heard an interview on CNN today, and one person said it didn't matter whether this woman was raped or not, that she was still a victim. That's such crap. She's not a victim. She might be mentally ill. But the victims are all the thousands of innocent UVA students who suffered because of this story, esp. the members of that frat. The victims are real rape victims who might be less likely to be believed.
This liar is not a victim. And Rolling Stone owes UVA and its students a lot more than an apology.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Can a school sue for libel?
I'd hope so. The Frat outta have a nice case against them as well.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
How many more times do we need to see this? Rathergate, Zimmerman, Ferguson, Duke Lacrosse, UVA...how many times can these guys get it so wrong?
Did I excuse them getting it wrong? No I did not. I said It was nice to at least see them not try and blame it on someone else.

Quote:
I quit watching MSNBC after the Zimmerman thing. Rolling Stone, while not my favorite magazine has some pretty good writers (Matt Taibbi) but the fact that they ran this should wake people up. Yeah, great for apologing. But good grief, there were people on this thing from the start if it wasn't for independant bloggers this story would have kept going. Kudos to WaPo for doing some, you know real reporting, investigation into the story.

The machine just worked over a clearly troubled girl and spit her out like an unwanted cherry pit from their dirty a-holes. As long as the narrative gets play...the truth does not matter. Jackie does not matter. What matters is that...well who knows what the play is here?

Progressives...your guys batting record is abysmal.
Maybe you might argue what I said next time if you have a problem with it.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Rolling Stone has a history of doing this. In 2005, they published an anti-immunization article written by that immunization expert, Robert F. Kennedy Jr, which they later retracted.
O.K., I have no idea. Again, I'm not defending their sloppy work here. I simply noted that it was good they didn't try and blame someone else for it.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Unfortunately that doesn't help much.
It doesn't help those they harmed but it is still pretty rare now and good to see.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:15 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Even Jameis Winston thinks Rolling Stone crossed a line here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies