Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:21 AM

520 posts, read 730,924 times

Advertisements

I'm a millennial and Republican and I'm strongly considering voting for Rand Paul in 2016 if he runs. I would never vote for Hillary Clinton or any Liberal for that matter, mostly because of the issue of abortion which I'm against. I'm not in favor of gay marriage either, but I'm also indifferent to the issue. I think it's inevitable that eventually it will be legal in all 50 states. Couple areas I disagree with many Republicans is them being more of the "war" party at least as of recently. It seems like many Republicans think that we need to send ground troops into Iraq/Syria. I'm sick of US intervention in places where our country is not liked anyways. Also the issue of legalizing drugs, mainly weed. The war on drugs has been a complete failure. Why keep something illegal that many people are doing anyways and you can make tax money off of it? Just because law enforcement would suffer because they wouldn't be locking up low level drug offenders, whose only offense is having the drug on them. However, I think the use of drugs when you commit another crime (especially violent offenses), should cause added penalties to your case. So if drugs were legal, and you committed a robbery under the influence of "x" drug, you should get extra time added onto your sentence. Most of my fellow millennials that I know and am friends with don't care about politics at all, so I don't think you could call any of them Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Conservative, Libertarian, ect. Which is still strongly the case with many millennials, I don't think you can really judge us as a whole yet. The millennial generation which are the most recent new voters, are from between the early 1980's and early 2000's. So some of the millennials can't even vote yet. Let's see how we vote as a group in say 10 years when all millennials are able to vote, and when some of us have been voting through several election cycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 02:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Yet you didn't believe the data I provided about 18, 19, and 20 year olds voting in higher percentages for Romney compared to Obama?
You never provided data, you provided a news article that had no link to where that data came from, should I believe everything I read on the internet? If you cannot provide the source of the data, then the article you provided might as well be fiction.

I want to see the actual data that breaks up voters by individual age, all the government shows is by 18-29, not by individual age.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I thought McCain was criticized for having Palin as a running mate when he really wanted Lieberman.
McCain had a chance at winning until he jumped the shark by picking a nut from Alaska for a running mate.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:26 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think that young people pay more attention to the message than the messenger.
Oh they most certainly do pay attention to the messenger. Any liberal Hollywood moron can spew a bunch of ignorant trash and the younger crowd, not all but most, eat that right up. Let me give you an example, and you have NO idea how much I wish I were making this up:

Years ago I had a manager who said, quote: "I have no idea what Scientology is, but Tom Cruise believes it, I want to join, too."

It took me quite some time to pick my jaw up off of the floor. Yes, she was young, yes she was dumb, yes she only cared about the messenger, not the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Young people (today and always) tend to not be particularly wealthy. And the left has been cunning enough to sell them the narrative that the GOP represents the interests of white, rich businessmen only. And sadly, many have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker.

Most of my liberal friends take their political philosophies from prime time TV attack ads, so it's not like they're willing to actually dig beneath the surface to pick their candidate. If he/she is liberal, they will vote for him/her. Doesn't matter who or what it is.
How the liberal goons play it is by convincing the young that they have the key to Utopia, where everyone is happy, and rich, and can play all day long. They never bother to tell those young people where, exactly, that money is supposed to come from. To this day, you will hear people say, "it comes from the government, it's free!" because they have no idea that "from the government" means, "from everyone around them". That, or apparently, it comes straight out of a Unicorn's ass along with the rainbow of Skittles.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:44 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I doubt they even give Hillary a second thought or even know who she is or what she looks like. If they don't pay much attention to Obama( or any other politico) other than what they see on Comedy central or SNL, she's way off on their radar.
Expect zero enthusiasm from them for her, although the GOP candidate won't get much either unless they're much younger and "cooler". Which isn't likely.
What they'll want message wise is what they are used to. It's " Me wanty" and "Gimme, gimme." If she can promise them whatever they want, she might win them over to whatever degree its possible to get them to actually vote. Not many will bother to vote, regardless.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:03 AM

59,018 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think that young people pay more attention to the message than the messenger.
Kinda like this:

Quote of the day
“My accomplishments as Secretary of State? Well, I'm glad you asked! My proudest accomplishment in
which I take the most pride, mostly because of the opposition it faced early on, you know… the remnants
of prior situations and mindsets that were too narrowly focused in a manner whereby they may have
overlooked the bigger picture and we didn’t do that and I’m proud of that. Very proud. I would say that’s
a major accomplishment.”

- Hillary Clinton 11 March 2014

Could someone please tell me what the hell she just said?
And she may be running for President?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Millennials are the most liberal demographic group in the country. If you believe they will vote for a presidential candidate who is anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti gay marriage, anti marijuana legalization, or for an arrogant white guy who denigrates low income Americans while building car elevators in his mansion, there is a bridge in Brooklyn... They also aren't terribly big on guns,religion or war and tend not to judge others by race.

The GOP would have to get themselves a very tolerant and politically central candidate to obtain their vote.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Kinda like this:

Quote of the day
“My accomplishments as Secretary of State? Well, I'm glad you asked! My proudest accomplishment in
which I take the most pride, mostly because of the opposition it faced early on, you know… the remnants
of prior situations and mindsets that were too narrowly focused in a manner whereby they may have
overlooked the bigger picture and we didn’t do that and I’m proud of that. Very proud. I would say that’s
a major accomplishment.”

- Hillary Clinton 11 March 2014

Could someone please tell me what the hell she just said?
And she may be running for President?
Maybe you have to elect her to find out whats in there.

Seriously good politicians talk like that. They won't tell you what they will do, but only what you want to hear. In this case The short answer would be nothing. or the ability to look at the big picture. Which deflects incompetence to the former administration.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Liberals think they have the millennial vote all locked up. The thing is, why would they vote for someone who is old enough to be their grandmother? And voting for a "white old granny" isn't exactly as "cool" as voting for the "first black president" like they did in 2008(Lord have mercy). I see somebody like Rand Paul appealing more to the younger voters as opposed to a white female hag. Somebody like Marco Rubio would also be somebody who was more fresh and exciting for younger voters as opposed to another Clinton. There are plenty of younger GOP politicians who could easily win the nomination, while a grandma pushing 70 is the Democratic frontrunner.

What do you think?
I think Republicans are screwed in 2016 because they suffer from a leadership vacuum, and all their front running candidates are tired old white men who take extremist views.

You might as well wait until 2020.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Millennials are the most liberal demographic group in the country. If you believe they will vote for a presidential candidate who is anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti gay marriage, anti marijuana legalization, or for an arrogant white guy who denigrates low income Americans while building car elevators in his mansion, there is a bridge in Brooklyn... They also aren't terribly big on guns,religion or war and tend not to judge others by race.

The GOP would have to get themselves a very tolerant and politically central candidate to obtain their vote.
What an ignorant post. Republicans aren't "anti-immigration" if its LEGAL. I haven't met many millennials who are pro-illegal immigration. It doesn't matter if they are pro or anti abortion, the president has no real control over that. As I have said many times, even if millennials support gay marriage, that doesn't mean they are activists who will get pissed off if gay marriage doesn't pass. They are mostly indifferent to it.

And you act like most millennials are pot heads, not true at all. Its not like Hillary Clinton is pro-marijuana except in extreme medical cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies