Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
The baby boomers were "liberal" back in the 60s and 70s with the whole hippie movement, then they got jobs and had to pay taxes and became more conservative. The tide is already turning towards millennials becoming less liberal compared to 2008. Most aren't social liberal activists like you seem to think.

And it's no different than the liberals calling McCain and Romney "rich old white men."
Where do you get your information from? Millenials have shown themselves to be more liberal than current Democrats. If anything, we will begin to see more liberal candidates winning elections due to millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 03:18 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
As long as the national Republican Party opposes gay marriage they will lose younger voters. Younger voters view gay marriage as a civil right that only bigots would oppose. It's really that simple.
I really don't think many people care about this. I know that it's an obsession amongst certain people, and they're VERY vocal about this obsession, but I don't think homosexuality weighs heavily on the minds of most people who are over the age of fourteen.
And the issue is being decided in the courts anyway.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,373 times
I've wondered about this too. As we saw last month, the Democrats have a huge voter turnout issue to deal with. Will college kids come out to vote for Hillary like they did for Obama? I'm thinking that Hillary's strength would be based on nostalgia for the Bill Clinton presidency. But what college kids would care about that?

Old 12-05-2014, 03:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
As long as the national Republican Party opposes gay marriage they will lose younger voters. Younger voters view gay marriage as a civil right that only bigots would oppose. It's really that simple.
However, the single largest demographic to vote against gay marriage were blacks. In most elections, something like 70% of blacks voted to either not extend gay rights benefits or for state bans.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:23 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,581 times
Quote:
There is a big difference between opposing and not embracing. The majority of conservatives will say they do not oppose gay rights, but that doesn't mean they MUST embrace it. This is why younger people are viewed as being easily maneuvered by political spin doctors on the left. This is why anyone who speaks out against Obama is labeled a racist. It's as if common sense has been wiped out by ideological mantras.

The last elections showed that the youth, women, and even minorities, are getting tired of being maneuvered as stupid (Gruber) pawns.

As long as the DNC remains totalitarian mind pimping extremists, they'll continue to lose. A party based on hate mongering should lose. The last decade it was the GOP, which has now been invaded by calmer more rational heads (Libertarians, Moderates, TEA), while the DNC continues to cater to progressive extremists.

The DNC could have driven the death nail into the GOP, and instead they "transparently" exploited their power and showed political deafness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
However, the single largest demographic to vote against gay marriage were blacks. In most elections, something like 70% of blacks voted to either not extend gay rights benefits or for state bans.
EXACTLY! Even here in liberal paradise California Prop 8 was a landslide victory to oppose gay marriage. It took a gay 9th circuit judge to strike it down. Though struck down, it doesn't change the fact that the majority of a mostly liberal state opposed it (gay marriage) just six years ago.

Last edited by steven_h; 12-05-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 03:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I've wondered about this too. As we saw last month, the Democrats have a huge voter turnout issue to deal with. Will college kids come out to vote for Hillary like they did for Obama? I'm thinking that Hillary's strength would be based on nostalgia for the Bill Clinton presidency. But what college kids would care about that?
That happens every mid term. Democrats have always had an issue with voter turnout on non presidential election years. The Republicans do too as well, but often times get enough Republican voters to show up.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM

471 posts, read 807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think that young people pay more attention to the message than the messenger.
Your opinion is incorrect.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 PM

406 posts, read 283,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Liberals think they have the millennial vote all locked up. The thing is, why would they vote for someone who is old enough to be their grandmother? And voting for a "white old granny" isn't exactly as "cool" as voting for the "first black president" like they did in 2008(Lord have mercy). I see somebody like Rand Paul appealing more to the younger voters as opposed to a white female hag. Somebody like Marco Rubio would also be somebody who was more fresh and exciting for younger voters as opposed to another Clinton. There are plenty of younger GOP politicians who could easily win the nomination, while a grandma pushing 70 is the Democratic frontrunner.

What do you think?
I think she was the REAL President from before. She's too much of a control freak to have let her husband make his own choices. Keep that in mind when people vote for her. Did you like Bill? If not, don't vote for his BOSS!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:30 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,150 times
Quote:
LOL no they won't. Gay marriage is only a deal breaker for activists and most young people aren't gay marriage activists. Gay marriage is not a deal breaker for most. Sure a lot might be okay with it, but that doesn't mean they will be PO'd if somebody doesn't support it. Back when they elected Obama in 2008, HE didn't support it either. Try explaining that one. The presidents opinion on gay marriage isn't as important as you think.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I really don't think many people care about this. I know that it's an obsession amongst certain people, and they're VERY vocal about this obsession, but I don't think homosexuality weighs heavily on the minds of most people who are over the age of fourteen.
And the issue is being decided in the courts anyway.
Agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies