Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:44 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

Liberals think they have the millennial vote all locked up. The thing is, why would they vote for someone who is old enough to be their grandmother? And voting for a "white old granny" isn't exactly as "cool" as voting for the "first black president" like they did in 2008(Lord have mercy). I see somebody like Rand Paul appealing more to the younger voters as opposed to a white female hag. Somebody like Marco Rubio would also be somebody who was more fresh and exciting for younger voters as opposed to another Clinton. There are plenty of younger GOP politicians who could easily win the nomination, while a grandma pushing 70 is the Democratic frontrunner.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I think that young people pay more attention to the message than the messenger.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:50 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think that young people pay more attention to the message than the messenger.
No they don't. They don't understand the message.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
You don't care what anyone thinks. You've just come in here and pretty much insulted the hell out of Hillary Clinton based solely on her age with inflammatory language because you want to get a reaction.

But the reasoning is, the majority of young voters, are liberal, especially socially, and the right is very against much social progress. She appeals to them.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:55 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh, Ok. Maybe they should spend more time listening to grampa's favorite radio stations.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:03 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
You don't care what anyone thinks. You've just come in here and pretty much insulted the hell out of Hillary Clinton based solely on her age with inflammatory language because you want to get a reaction.

But the reasoning is, the majority of young voters, are liberal, especially socially, and the right is very against much social progress. She appeals to them.
The baby boomers were "liberal" back in the 60s and 70s with the whole hippie movement, then they got jobs and had to pay taxes and became more conservative. The tide is already turning towards millennials becoming less liberal compared to 2008. Most aren't social liberal activists like you seem to think.

And it's no different than the liberals calling McCain and Romney "rich old white men."

Old 12-05-2014, 02:09 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Young people understand far more than anyone is willing to give them credit for. It's not even a little surprising. The millennials grew up in a shelter, overly protected environment. Those same people who set that up think they aren't capable of doing anything on their own.

Some young people will vote for her because she's a woman. Some will vote because she's a Democrat and is almost certain to have a more liberal social policy than her competitors. Many young voters are supporters of gay, women's, and minority rights.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:10 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,708 times
Well obviously not one millennial speaks for all, but I'll give you some of my views if you'd like.

1) Health care. Our HC system is broken- and furthermore, Obamacare is not the fix we need imo. I personally think that a single payer system is needed here. It's cheaper, and it would cover everyone. Kind of like a Medicare for all type thing. Also, I think we should have private HC options/plans available as well to purchase for people who want to have additional coverage, etc. At this point in time, the GOP will not do this. So, even though HillDawg isn't proposing this at this point in time either, she's closer than the GOP. And side note, I've lived in 6 countries across the world growing up- I've used single payer and real universal HC systems. Also, I think that it could potentially unleash a new entrepreneurial spirit because people will no longer be tied to jobs that they hate/ don't want because of health insurance. The next Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg could be doing some crappy job instead of creating the next Apple or Facebook, because they're young and currently too scared to leave their job and lose their health insurance.

2) University cost. The cost of going to college in this country is ABSOLUTELY OBSCENE. It's robbery, actually. Far too many people my age are going into insane amounts of debt just to get a degree. This is wrong, stupid, and unsustainable imo. A more educated workforce is better for the economy. The government should subsidize university costs in this country. I'm not saying it has to be completely 'free' (would be nice), but ~ $10,000 a year max is okay. This debt burden is holding back an entire generation of consumers who would otherwise be spending more money in the economy, buying houses, eating at restaurants, etc. etc. People shouldn't have to start off their professional lives in a massive hole. And, plus, like I said, it'd be better for the economy. What are you going to do? Wait until it's 500k per year to go to college? Again, I know Hillary isn't proposing this, but again, she's closer to this ideal than the GOP.

3) Social Issues. I'm 100% in favor of gay marriage (don't know why anyone wouldn't be), legalizing weed, pro-choice, etc. GOP is suicide with social issues atm.

4) Inequality. The US is one of the most unequal countries in the developed world. It's not a talking point, it's a fact. Ask the OECD, the IMF, the World Bank, the UN, the CIA, the US government itself, etc. We need to lower the inequality in this country. I'm not saying become Sweden, but we could strive for more Canada, Australia, Switzerland , etc. level of inequality. Although, I think HC and university being more accessible for the lower classes would help to reduce some of the inequality in this country.

5) Things like the government mandating paid vacation (4 weeks) and real (6 months- 1 year) paid maternity/paternity leave, I have no problem with. Every other developed country on earth does this. Other things like subsidized child care (I think elderly care should be included in my HC point above), I'm also on board with. Subsidized child care would encourage even more women to join the workforce which again would be a lift for the economy. It has helped tremendously in the Nordic countries in this area, and it's one of the reason why they have such high labor participation rates, and gender equality, etc.

On the other hand though, I agree with the GOP in the sense that we need to cut corporate tax rates. Our rate is too high and makes us uncompetitive to the rest of the developed world. I also think that while I don't have a problem with a 'large government', I think that it also has to be a concise and smartly run government. Look at other models that work around the world, study them, adapt them to our specific needs, and implement the things that work. In this day and age, there's no excuse why we can't learn some things from others and help ourselves.

I just want to end this post by saying that I would never say that I'd just blindly vote for someone (I.E. Hillary) just because. Come 2016, I will look, listen, and consider all candidates before making my decision. It's just that, at this point, it seems that Hillary would be closer to my views than anyone in the GOP field currently.

I would have seriously considered voting for someone like Jon Huntsman in 2008 if he were the nominee for the GOP. I believe in a basic and real safety net for all, but am pretty conservative economically besides that. However, I am socially liberal.

Okay, rant over.

Last edited by CityLover9; 12-05-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 PM

998 posts, read 664,912 times
Young people (today and always) tend to not be particularly wealthy. And the left has been cunning enough to sell them the narrative that the GOP represents the interests of white, rich businessmen only. And sadly, many have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker.

Most of my liberal friends take their political philosophies from prime time TV attack ads, so it's not like they're willing to actually dig beneath the surface to pick their candidate. If he/she is liberal, they will vote for him/her. Doesn't matter who or what it is.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:25 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
And the left has been cunning enough to sell them the narrative that the GOP represents the interests of white, rich businessmen only.*
That narrative sells itself. It's the absolute truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies