Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry, schools don't have to feed them at all. So they need to eat what is served to them. If they don't it....oh well. Did your parents only provide you with foods you liked to eat. My parents did not. We ate what was served. If we didn't like it we were out of luck.
They eat what is served to them. It's just not enough. Studies have shown that kids perform better in school when they are not hungry. What is the point of a school lunch if the kids still have to bring another lunch from home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,825,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The Elementary schools (K-5th) don't get quite the same choices. They get to choose from either 4 or 5 rotating entrees. For instance, tomorrow the Elementary menu is:

Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti
BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Cobb Salad with Ranch Dressing and Whole Wheat Dinner Roll
Bean and Cheese Burrito
I hate them, LOL! That's still a pretty good selection.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:47 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,804,240 times
Old
http://i.imgur.com/bvQtOxY.jpg

what the heck is a "chicken ring?"

lunch from Issaquah, Washington school
http://apps.issaquah.wednet.edu/Lunc...r/December.pdf

Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 AM

47,966 posts, read 21,933,872 times
chicken rings

or this is also called a chicken ring

Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,400,716 times
forget about trying to serve nothing but healthy lunches and go back to active recess and even a few minutes a day for P. E. with it being required in middle and high school. I have said this before: we volunteer at a local elementary school and the amount of "healthy" food that is wasted is so sad. Many of these kids do not eat all that healthy at home and are not about to eat healthy foods at school, not to mention the food is downright tasteless.

When we were in school, yes, back in the 1950s, we did not have soda available, only milk and we didn't have a lot of junk food, but what we did have was a lot tastier than what our kids are eating today.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,073,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When we were in school, yes, back in the 1950s, we did not have soda available, only milk and we didn't have a lot of junk food, but what we did have was a lot tastier than what our kids are eating today.
When I was in high school in the late 1990s, my school district had contracts with Chick-fil-a, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut. We also had soda vending machines in the halls.

I was a big eater (year-round competitive swimmer). For lunch at school I'd have something like two deep-fried Chick-fil-A sandwiches, 2 servings of deep-fried french fries, a milk, and one packet of Hostess Dunkin Sticks. Then in the afternoon I'd buy a snack - another packet of Hostess Dunkin Sticks and a coke.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,451,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They eat what is served to them. It's just not enough. Studies have shown that kids perform better in school when they are not hungry. What is the point of a school lunch if the kids still have to bring another lunch from home?
Calories for school lunches:
650 grades K-5
700 grades 6-8
850 grades 9-12

By comparison:
Mc Donald's:
Big Mac: 530
Quarter-pounder w/chees: 520
Double quarter-pounder w/chees: 740
Hamburger: 240
Cheeseburger: 290
Double Cheeseburger: 430

Add a glass of skim milk (90 cal) and a piece of fruit (50) and you have meals that well fit into the school lunch guidelines, except for the double quarter-pounder w/cheese. This is to give an idea of how much food we're really talking about.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...81449611,d.cGU

New school lunch guidelines: Fewer calories, more fruits, veggies

Note in this link: Child Nutrition Program - National School Lunch Program - Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
"SDA does not require schools to serve -- or not serve -- any particular foods. School meals must meet Federal nutrition requirements, but decisions about what foods to serve and how they are prepared are made by local school food authorities."

Some of this talk reminds me of that old joke "the food is terrible and there's not enough of it".

Old 12-08-2014, 09:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,744,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why is everyone focusing on the ugliness of the lunch and not this part:

"the skimpy portions are due solely to the federal regulations championed by First Lady Michelle Obama.
Kinda like Ketchup is a vegetable sort of thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

BTW, what is your opinion regarding food stamps, should we increase them so that kids don't go hungry?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 AM

47,966 posts, read 21,933,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Kinda like Ketchup is a vegetable sort of thing?

Ketchup as a vegetable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, what is your opinion regarding food stamps, should we increase them so that kids don't go hungry?
Increasing Food Stamps to feed more hungry children! I sure am all for that.

I couldn't believe that Congress voted to decrease the allocation for Food Stamps in the Agriculture Appropriation....that was a perfect example of how the Republican Congress shut the door on hungry children, veterans and elderly people and justified it by their erroneous stereotypes of lazy men who refuse to work buying crab legs with food stamps. Food Stamps primarily go to buy food for children of working poor families. There are more cans of raviolio's and chicken noodle soup and peanut butter....than crab legs or steaks. That is one of the urban myths used to justify sending kids to bed without supper.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,744,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Increasing Food Stamps to feed more hungry children! I sure am all for that. I couldn't believe that Congress voted to decrease the allocation for Food Stamps in the Agriculture Appropriation....that was a perfect example of how the Republican Congress shut the door on hungry children, veterans and elderly people and justified it by their erroneous stereotypes of lazy men who refuse to work buying crab legs with food stamps. Food Stamps primarily go to buy food for children of working poor families.
Yet those same republicans are complaining about small portion sizes in school lunches. Go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies