U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times

Advertisements

There are articles in the news about how some are saying the new Exodus movie is racist for casting white actors as the Egyptians including the pharaoh and his wife. In fact, I think that was actually done for political correctness purposes.

There would be even MORE accusations from black and Arab activists if the movie was actually REALLY casted historically. The ancient Egyptians in reality were either black or Arab (Egypt today is an Arabic country) while Moses and the Jews were obviously white. So if it was historically accurate you would white people enslaved by blacks or Arabs. Jesus and Moses were white men (I'm not going to get into Santa Claus since that is a fictional character). That is not a racist statement, just a simple established fact. They were Jewish, and Jewish people are white (unlike you are a Nazi or Klansman)

"300" was historically accurate (not the plot but the casting) with the Persians/Iranians looking Middle Eastern while the Greeks are white.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:34 PM

313 posts, read 284,655 times
Jews are not white,especially in those days.

Jews who look white are mixed with Europeans. The Jews you see in Israel today are mixed with white people.

Jews are semetic like Arabs.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,776,805 times
The ancient Jews and Arabs are both Semitic, very similar. You have genetic drift since then. The Egyptians were related to the Arabs. To the south of Egypt, the captured lands were generally occupied by black people, with black slaves brought north into the heartland of Egypt.

But you are to going to get people into theaters if you starred some unknowns in order to make the casting racially correct.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:38 PM

21,499 posts, read 11,599,413 times
I heard the directors reaction to this ridiculousness. It had something to do with retaining dependable actors ect.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,280,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There are articles in the news about how some are saying the new Exodus movie is racist for casting white actors as the Egyptians including the pharaoh and his wife. In fact, I think that was actually done for political correctness purposes.

There would be even MORE accusations from black and Arab activists if the movie was actually REALLY casted historically. The ancient Egyptians in reality were either black or Arab (Egypt today is an Arabic country) while Moses and the Jews were obviously white. So if it was historically accurate you would white people enslaved by blacks or Arabs. Jesus and Moses were white men (I'm not going to get into Santa Claus since that is a fictional character). That is not a racist statement, just a simple established fact. They were Jewish, and Jewish people are white (unlike you are a Nazi or Klansman)

"300" was historically accurate (not the plot but the casting) with the Persians/Iranians looking Middle Eastern while the Greeks are white.
What the hell makes you think Jesus and Moses would be white? Paintings made in the Medieval Europe by men who have never seen someone who wasn't white? Jesus was almost certainly not white. In fact, I think it's safe to say that he for sure wasn't, unless the Bible is incorrect in explaining his lineage and place of birth.

To address the issue, it's a fictional movie based on a Biblical story, which in my opinion is also just fictional. Considering the film is in English, it is not going to be accurate anyway. Who cares what race the characters are? Every Roman Empire movie has the characters speaking in a strange British like accent, when that's obviously not even close to how a Roman would have sounded (ignoring the fact they spoke Latin and not English). Seriously. This is not an issue. Hollywood does the ALL THE TIME. There's no racist agenda. It's probably just based on who the best actor they can find is. In this case, Christian Bale. It wouldn't make sense to have him be the only white guy among a civilization of Egyptian/Arabs; though no one has an issue with that when it's Jesus, so I guess it wouldn't really be a big deal.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 PM

13,732 posts, read 9,843,323 times
What Race Were the Ancient Egyptians?
Men were painted with a red skin tone and women were painted white, because the men spent more time outdoors, and thus were expected to get a tan; compare the famous statue of an Old Kingdom couple, Prince Rahotep and Nofret.

Rahotep and Nofret
Rev. Al Sharpton will be so wroth.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 PM

13,090 posts, read 7,809,399 times
Quote:

"There are articles in the news about how some are saying the new Exodus movie is racist"

Since you're basing this whole thread on these articles, could you be so kind as to provide a link to these articles that are saying Exodus is racist?
Then we can all get on the same page.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,355,491 times
Quote:

But you're totally not a racist, right?

Jews were white. Egyptians weren't white. Santa is white. 300 was historically accurate... There's just too much crazy happening here.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,209,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
"There are articles in the news about how some are saying the new Exodus movie is racist"

Since you're basing this whole thread on these articles, could you be so kind as to provide a link to these articles that are saying Exodus is racist?
Then we can all get on the same page.
I'd seen a recent Ridley quote and had to look it up:

Quote:
“I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such,” Scott says. “I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.”
Here's the Variety piece. People are pretty worked up.

Quote:
“Ridley Scott‘s ‘Exodus: Gods And Kings’ movie is racist as s___. And it's disgusting, lazy and a movie that people shouldn't still be making in 2014,” David Dennis Jr. wrote in a lengthy opinion piece for Medium. “Boycott the movie. Go see the movie. I don't care. Just know that what you're watching  –  if you choose to watch it  —  is a crock of bull____.”

Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 AM

14,790 posts, read 14,044,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom lennox 70 View Post
there are articles in the news about how some are saying the new exodus movie is racist for casting white actors as the egyptians including the pharaoh and his wife. In fact, i think that was actually done for political correctness purposes.

There would be even more accusations from black and arab activists if the movie was actually really casted historically. The ancient egyptians in reality were either black or arab (egypt today is an arabic country) while moses and the jews were obviously white. So if it was historically accurate you would white people enslaved by blacks or arabs. Jesus and moses were white men (i'm not going to get into santa claus since that is a fictional character). that is not a racist statement, just a simple established fact. They were jewish, and jewish people are white (unlike you are a nazi or klansman)

"300" was historically accurate (not the plot but the casting) with the persians/iranians looking middle eastern while the greeks are white.
lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies