Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Some of you PC guys would really be offended if you lived where I do and store clerks and fast food servers at the drive thru windows told you to, "Have a blessed day" after giving you service. I (don't go to church), will take all of the blessings that I can get from anyone who wants to give them to me. It's not offensive to me when anyone is just being nice. In fact, it's refreshing.
Yeah, that wouldn't bother me, though if they followed it with "or you will burn in hell for not believing." Then I would find that to be a weird thing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:47 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Nothing about December is offensive to me, save for the name.

If an alien came to Earth and heard the term "December", he/she/it would assume 'Ah, the tenth month of the human's calendar year!'

Indeed, so it was back in the good ol' Roman Republic days.

Then, Julius Caesar comes along, and sticks in a new month 'July'. I believe he also invented the foul drink Orange Julius, as well as that idiotic 'salad' that bears his name.

Augustus (being the adopted heir of Julius) decides that "August" would look nice as a new month (even though his real name was Octavian, and so October already covered his name).

The result: September (7), October (8) and December (10) are all screwed up (I have no idea what "November" means; does "Nov" mean nine?).

At the least, let us all agree to redo our calender, and get the months properly lined up.

Hence:

January
February
March
April
May
June
September
October
November (assuming that means nine)
December
July
August.

Therefore, all of these religious holidays would be in August. Since many people dread August anyway (here in Texas due to the heat) then we might as well have these stressful religious events happen that month.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:49 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Oh for the love of God...

Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
If you want December to be offensive it is. That's a personal issue that the individual needs to work on. It doesn't matter if I say merry Christmas, happy holidays or what ever. Grow up or stay home.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
With so many religious celebrations occurring in this month, does the mere mention of December invoke ire to sensitive non-believers? How could this be fixed? Can't call it the "Twelfth or Twelve" because that number holds dear to the Christian New Testament. "335" (days since Jan 1) might offend those who are morbidly obese. "Holiday" means time away, so calling December "Holiday Month" offends those who work these 31 days. America's Co./Inc./LLCs would love "Shopping Month."

If this month needs changing, it's because the number is all wrong: Deca is 10! I'd like to see Dodecember and would rally on whatever offense agenda available to see it changed.
Really?

I would prefer the term insensitive non-believers.

...after all, they are the ones forcing their "opinion" over peoples long held "belief"

Add arrogance to that first sentence.

At this point I could not care less about what non-believers think or demand. Most have never been affected by religion, yet they bring up long past historical events to justify their hate, and feed their insane need to control what others think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
If you want December to be offensive it is. That's a personal issue that the individual needs to work on. It doesn't matter if I say merry Christmas, happy holidays or what ever. Grow up or stay home.
THIS^^^^^ X 10

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Nothing about December is offensive to me, save for the name.

If an alien came to Earth and heard the term "December", he/she/it would assume 'Ah, the tenth month of the human's calendar year!'

Indeed, so it was back in the good ol' Roman Republic days.

Then, Julius Caesar comes along, and sticks in a new month 'July'. I believe he also invented the foul drink Orange Julius, as well as that idiotic 'salad' that bears his name.

Augustus (being the adopted heir of Julius) decides that "August" would look nice as a new month (even though his real name was Octavian, and so October already covered his name).

The result: September (7), October (8) and December (10) are all screwed up (I have no idea what "November" means; does "Nov" mean nine?).

At the least, let us all agree to redo our calender, and get the months properly lined up.

Hence:

January
February
March
April
May
June
September
October
November (assuming that means nine)
December
July
August.

Therefore, all of these religious holidays would be in August. Since many people dread August anyway (here in Texas due to the heat) then we might as well have these stressful religious events happen that month.
You do know we use the Gregorian Calendar (c. 1582) ...yes?

Thank him for screwing up the original meaning of the names.

BTW, what's wrong with Orange Julius? I happen to believe that is one of the best orange juice drinks on the planet, if made properly. There's nothing wrong with a nice Caesar Salad either - as long as the croutons are good.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
With so many religious celebrations occurring in this month, does the mere mention of December invoke ire to sensitive non-believers?
Uh, what about week-days?

Thread fail.

Invoking...

Mircea

Old 12-06-2014, 01:25 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You do know we use the Gregorian Calendar (c. 1582) ...yes?

Thank him for screwing up the original meaning of the names.

BTW, what's wrong with Orange Julius? I happen to believe that is one of the best orange juice drinks on the planet, if made properly. There's nothing wrong with a nice Caesar Salad either - as long as the croutons are good.
There you go, bothering people who did you no harm, with 'facts'.

Ok, so we blame Greg. He probably was named 'Gregory'. Glad it wasn't "Albert" or such.

As for the Orange Julius: I admit, I have never had one properly prepared. I have only been exposed to the stuff sold in glass bottles (that is dating me; I guess they are only sold now in cans or plastic bottles). If one wants orange juice, pull out the fresh oranges and squeeze away.

As for the Caesar salad: it is acceptable if one punts the anchovies; substitutes a good lettuce, like Butter, for the horrid Romaine (which seems to consist only of hard spine), and get rid of the lemon and Dijon mustard.

Indeed, my version of Caesar is: good lettuce, some tomato slices, ham slices, lots of cheese, and a good Thousand Island dressing. It may not technically be what Caesar invented, but he was stabbed for his efforts (the legendary reason for his murder, that he was assuming dictatorial powers, was simply to hide the real truth about his so-called 'Caesar' salad). Don't get me started on the fraud at the Ritz or wherever who claimed that he created Caesar salad. The Truth Is Out There.

Oh. I agree about the croutons being key to any salad. You can't get good croutons out of a box.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:56 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I can agree with this. I'm not religious by any means and I say "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" interchangeably with everyone. And it doesn't bother me if they say one or the other to me.

[when did the holidays become so serious?]
Seems not every one is nice though. I must be a naive believer in Christ, because I always thought that "Happy Holidays" was a greeting that is inclusive to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve. So to grab that and/or "Season's Greetings" and use it as a tool to make a jab, just goes bloop, right up over my head.

What is offensive is the materialistic way Christmas is celebrated. I could do without the month of December, but I doubt the retailers racking in the doe, would agree. Cancel Christmas and watch the retailers revolt.

PS, When did the holidays become so serious? When the party poppers showed up and crashed the parties.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:14 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
And the battle continues..."The war on holidays"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies