Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
This is your last chance to get real physical gold, people.

Our political and financial system is completely bankrupt, a cesspool of corruption and unpayable debt.

When this implodes, think back on the so called pessimists and chicken littles like myself. We warned you what was coming, and you're mistaken if you believe everything is going to be just dandy, that there are "heroes" out there who will save the day.
The same old doom preaching and gold selling since recession started. What you stuck with a lot of Gold bought at high priced panic times; OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 03:01 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
In a real crash, powdered milk, Vienna sausages and Ramen noodles would be more valuable than gold. Better head to Costco.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:16 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
In a real crash, powdered milk, Vienna sausages and Ramen noodles would be more valuable than gold. Better head to Costco.
Though I do own a small amount of silver and gold and holding it is a good idea for preppers too diversify.
I been thinking of stock piling alcohol, buying cheap whisky and wine and selling it for double. if I never use it in a pinch I will be a hit at New years parties for many years

Old 12-07-2014, 03:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:

Our political and financial system is completely bankrupt, a cesspool of corruption and unpayable debt.

When this implodes, think back on the so called pessimists and chicken littles like myself. We warned you what was coming, and you're mistaken if you believe everything is going to be just dandy, that there are "heroes" out there who will save the day.
If I were going to buy metal as a hedge against TEOTWAWKI, gold would be way down on my list. Silver maybe, because it does have significant industrial uses. The first metal I would buy be some kind of iron and/or steel, and the equipment/skills to work it without electricity.

First on my list though is the stuff that would run out the fastest - the means to make clean water and canned/dried food. And I already like to keep about 6 months' worth of stuff I use.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:38 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Over the years, I've know several people who survived the post WWI or post WWII periods of economic collapse in Germany.

The farmer is King in that kind of environment. Surviving as an urban dweller involved having barterable goods - tobacco, liquor, food - and working as a farm laborer in the local area with wages paid in food.

Medicine is also critical. Many people die of simple infections due to the lack of available meds.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
When?

I'm not asking for an exact date ... just a general time frame: in 3 months, in 6 months, sometime next year???
7 months and counting!

Old 07-16-2015, 01:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I think that is the right question.
Gold would not be as important as food etc. I would say drinking water would top the list.
Golds only value would be at some point after a recovery started and then it's only a possibility because no one knows what that would look like.
Fuel. Gas, oil, wood, whatever. If you have fuel you can boil water and cook meat.

In fact, I think I'm going to stash a few hundred pallets (to burn) in my back yard right now....

Old 07-16-2015, 01:46 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Actually I recommend mountain house survival food, its insanely good, filling, and on a per meal basis not that expensive. Add in a bunch of fuel canisters, a couple hundred gallons of water, a ketadyne water filter, and a jetboil. Sounds like a large investment, but it really isn't. Oh and a small 14 watt portable solar panel.

Get 6 months of food.

Our biggest risk in my opinion is a large solar flare hitting us and taking out power. Odds? 1 in 100 per year at a rough estimate, and we'd be out of power for 6 months until equipment was replaced. But theres a ton of other things, weather, etc that can impact you. And its nice camping equipment as well.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:57 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually I recommend mountain house survival food, its insanely good, filling, and on a per meal basis not that expensive. Add in a bunch of fuel canisters, a couple hundred gallons of water, a ketadyne water filter, and a jetboil. Sounds like a large investment, but it really isn't. Oh and a small 14 watt portable solar panel.

Get 6 months of food.

Our biggest risk in my opinion is a large solar flare hitting us and taking out power. Odds? 1 in 100 per year at a rough estimate, and we'd be out of power for 6 months until equipment was replaced. But theres a ton of other things, weather, etc that can impact you. And its nice camping equipment as well.

Did you read about the Cascade fault line? And basically that the northwest coast is doomed!

Old 07-16-2015, 04:40 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,673 times
Quote:
No it's not.
Quote:
Pretty much.
Quote:
When this implodes, think back on the so called pessimists and chicken littles like myself.
Ok.
Quote:
We warned you what was coming, and you're mistaken if you believe everything is going to be just dandy, that there are "heroes" out there who will save the day.
We warned you to diversify, and you're mistaken if you believe gold is solid defense, that there are "heroes" out there who will save your portfolio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies