Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 05:00 PM

22,577 posts, read 24,379,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The Civil Rights Movement was primarily about Black people having access to White society and the resources and benefits that Whites brought. Blacks fought to send their children to school with Whites, to eat alongside Whites, to sit next to Whites on the bus, to work with Whites and to live in White neighborhoods.

The Civil Rights Movement was not about equality for Blacks. Blacks wanted what Whites had, but they didn't want to build it on their own. They simply wanted to take it from Whites.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This post is brilliant, wish I could have made it!

Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 PM

801 posts, read 1,099,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You realize there aren't only 2 races in American right?
Actually, in America, there are only two races: Blacks - and - Whites (which includes everyone else who aspires to or has acquired "honorary white" status).

Old 12-07-2014, 07:00 PM

801 posts, read 1,099,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This post is brilliant, wish I could have made it!

...Made it themselves. That explains all of those yellowed historic images of captive black people just standing around doing nothing...watching hardworking whites "doing it themselves"

Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,579,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You realize there aren't only 2 races in American right?
There's only 1 race, the human race.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 PM

592 posts, read 412,785 times
Thanks to the OP.

So segregation was O.K. Makes sense.

Back before integration we had real diversity. Benefits of segregation - No arguing. No fighting. Things get done.

Don't need conflicts. Don't need riots. Don't need white cops shooting black kids. Don't need profiling.

And as you said businesses could grow.

I don't believe for 1 minute this BS about being oppressed. Separate washrooms and lunch counters - you call that being oppressed?

Old 12-07-2014, 08:14 PM

72,815 posts, read 62,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Too; if a Black dude or lady has something I need AND that person has a good rep, he or she WILL get my business. Even a doctor. The hell with racism where the BEST person for the job is involved.
As someone who has received a hair cut from a White guy, I can agree with this. I remember when I had to get an operation as a teenager, and when I was in my early 20s. When I got put under and operated on, it did not matter what color my surgeon was. All I cared about was getting better.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Thanks to the OP.

So segregation was O.K. Makes sense.

Back before integration we had real diversity. Benefits of segregation - No arguing. No fighting. Things get done.

Don't need conflicts. Don't need riots. Don't need white cops shooting black kids. Don't need profiling.

And as you said businesses could grow.

I don't believe for 1 minute this BS about being oppressed. Separate washrooms and lunch counters - you call that being oppressed?
Blacks didn't chose to be segregated. And under Jim Crow, Blacks were basically stonewalled whenever they tried to vote.

There were riots during the segregation era.

Why shouldn't everyone use the same washrooms and fountains? The thing about segregation is that it was a form of dictatorship. Blacks didn't have ANY say in it.

And don't get me started on the schools. Blacks were given substandard schools.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:21 PM

It doesn't surprise me, but it is exasperating. There are people who advocate for Jim Crow segregation.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,715,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
We should have fought harder for plain equality back in the 1960s. Before integration, black people built their communities from scratch, and our businesses were supported by the people. There were black millionaires in the early 1900s, which back in those times would have been considered extremely wealthy. A million dollars back then might equal to 100 million or more today, and again there were black millionaires during those days. I'm sure everyone is familiar with Madam CJ Walker, who was born just two years after the Civil War. She was the first woman, not just black woman, to become a self made millionaire, selling hair products interestingly enough. So we had black people, towns, etc that were extremely successful even in the tough times of racism in this country. Imagine where we would be now had we simply fought for equality, and kept segregation for another couple of decades?

I believe integration would have happened on it's own, but a lot of black people wanted integration, even though white people didn't want that. What happened was once forced integration took effect, black people started going across town to shop at white shops. White people weren't doing the same thing, and thus black businesses lost their whole customer base. Communities began to fall apart, and business minded black folk left town knowing their community wouldn't support their businesses. So here we are today, and the black community is in shambles compared to what it once was.

Now, people look at this and I imagine most would call me crazy. They would think to themselves, 'Integration was a bad thing for the black community?' See people look at segregation and integration as 100% one way or the other, that these two words includes certain ideas that go with it. Segregation includes unequal, whereas integration includes equality. That's not the case at all, in fact these last 40 years have taught us that. On average, there are still more black people who are worst off within their total population, than there are white people within their total population. If things were truly equal, why are there those who still feel like black people need affirmative action? So no, integration doesn't automatically mean equality. The simple truth is wrongs were being done during segregation, but segregation itself wasn't necessarily bad thing for the black community. It wasn't killing our community to have an all black school etc. Most of Japan's population is ethnic Japanese, and I imagine a lot of their schools only comprise of Japanese students. Yet Japan is one of the most technologically advanced nations in the world. So they are doing alright even though they are mostly only one ethnic group.

In any case, integration kind of killed the black community because of what happened as a result of how it came about. It wasn't white people (majority) who were fighting for integration, it was black people. Black people got their wish, but it wasn't reciprocated very well. Black people went into white neighborhoods and businesses, and nobody came into black neighborhoods and businesses. Black kids went into white schools, and black schools were either shut down or left to crumble from the inside. We should have fought for equality, and let integration happen when both sides wanted it.
The irony is that the same people who will tell you you're nuts, are the same people saying they have no trust in White cops or White schools. They want Black cops in Black neighborhoods & Black teachers teaching Black kids. But they don't want segregation.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM

592 posts, read 412,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Blacks didn't chose to be segregated. And under Jim Crow, Blacks were basically stonewalled whenever they tried to vote.

There were riots during the segregation era.

Why shouldn't everyone use the same washrooms and fountains? The thing about segregation is that it was a form of dictatorship. Blacks didn't have ANY say in it.

And don't get me started on the schools. Blacks were given substandard schools.

You say they didn't choose it, but segregation seems natural. You see it all the time ie. black communities for example.

What was the point of integration? As the OP said, neighbourhoods and businesses went into a decline.

On the other hand integration was forced on everyone. Obviously there were hard feelings on both sides as integration created more problems than it solved. Did it improve race relations? No. In fact it led to even more violence and more destruction.

Before we had a growing economy. A middle class. Real diversity. Happy Days. The swingin 60s. What do we have now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.